Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cattle not moving around...  (Read 538 times)

madmenyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cattle not moving around...
« on: November 04, 2011, 08:01:39 pm »

Hey, this is something new.... I moved my animals to a pasture and they almost never seem to move. My ducks/hens won't lay eggs when they have nests within the same pasture either. Both my yaks died with plenty of dense grass around (also on the top half). Although where they are standing the tile seems to be gray, a sign off my shale rock maybe? But it with "k" it shows Dense satintail/grama. I also have a couple of dwarfs set to take care of my animals but they won't seem to do that.

If i assign them to a new pasture they will pretty much stick to the closest corner of where they where brought in and some do move a couple of tiles before sitting "stuck".

-It seems my farm isn't doing well either, i have 2 peasants a farmer and a shearer assigned to planting, i have enough seeds but they rarely seem to plant something, only 2-4 out of 50 tiles are usually being worked on. And when a plant is ready it often withers as well, i have set "o" + "h" so that it shows "dwarves all harvest". But i am running a busy fortress.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Cattle not moving around...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 09:38:36 pm »

Belgian blue?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

madmenyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 10:11:19 pm »

?

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 10:44:08 pm »

It's pretty normal for animals to not move much when they're pastured, it helps improve your FPS.

Pastured animals will only eat inside the pasture zone you assigned them to; yaks will require a very, very large pasture in order to not starve to death, since their grazer value is very low (grazer value represents how "full" they get when they eat a quantum of grass). How large was the pasture you assigned them to?

Grazer values for large animals in general are too low, causing elephants to starve to death while constantly eating, and, while you can keep a Yak alive, it requires a very, very large pasture, so it's better to slaughter them right away. You might consider ordering the bones dumped instead of having them carved, if you have enough bones to work with, since the bones of large animals are bugged to take much longer to carve. The meat takes longer to cook, but gives you more food in the end, so it's not really an issue, unless you were on the brink of starvation.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 10:48:16 pm »

As to the farming and storage, do check that your fields and/or storerooms are not filled with hidden objects.  (Have you used hide on anything?  If so, unhide everything and see if there's already stuff there).

As to farming and farmers not working most of the field - double check those seeds.  Are you sure you still have them?  Rotting plants leave no seeds.  Forbidden or set to be dumped seeds cannot be planted.  Forbidden fields won't be worked (or harvested, for that matter).

As to the animals, pastures, and movement.  Animal care is only used by the owner of a pet to attempt to heal a hurt pet - however in the current version this is bugged out of service.  The skill currently has no known working function, so animal care is meaningless to your fortress.

Both my yaks died with plenty of dense grass around (also on the top half)

That's unusual - pastures are created using i, and (that I know of) can only be one z level.  If you are trying to make multi-level pastures, that might be part of the problem right there, as only one z-level of the pasture is part of the pasture (whichever level you actually placed the animals in is the only area they can roam).

Although where they are standing the tile seems to be gray, a sign off my shale rock maybe? But it with "k" it shows Dense satintail/grama.

This seems odd.  When you see the animal in the tile, all you can see is the animal - it's not a translucent overlay letting you see the background the animal is standing on.  But a creature in a pasture should be eating the grass it is standing on, if hungry (starving to death is hungry indeed).  So, are you actually using a pasture?  Not a burrow or something else?

As to nests and nesting - when my egg layers are ready, they will outright leave their pastures and head to any unclaimed nestbox they can reach.  But it takes time.  An animal usually only lays eggs once or twice a season, almost always in the spring and often again in the fall.  A new animal (from the caravan or one that just grew up) is rarely ready to lay eggs very soon, and so can miss an season before they first lay.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

madmenyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 11:00:50 pm »

between 3/4 and max pasture size, just 2 yaks on 1 of those. They just stand, get arrow down and die. I'm not making multiple levels, with top half i am refering to the bug that only the north tiles get eaten.

I am using that iron tileset, around the animals i am seeing gray, looks the same as my slate ground. Might be just me but since a chicken is not filling up that whole square tile i can see the ground, wheater this is truely the ground tile showing through or just a fill up painted on the chicken sprite i don't know.

About the eggs, more then a year has past and my dwarves don't even know what a egg is :D. I have the nest boxes inside the pasture my hens are in but this just worked find the last couple of times i played. I have no food shortage so it's not a big problem but i do think it is relating to some of the problems i am having.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 01:17:28 pm »

Weird. I've had pastures go bare and animals starve, but only after the whole pasture is free of moss (sometimes it still has a few bushes in it).