Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why aren't I dying horribly yet?  (Read 619 times)

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why aren't I dying horribly yet?
« on: November 04, 2011, 07:11:55 pm »

I currently have a fortress about 200 strong. I have 70 dwarfs in the military, all legendary and in candy armor. I'm using the Fortress Defense mod, I have excess of everything that seems to be desirable and I am not being challenged. The only deaths I have are some recruits that dodged into water and some moods gone bad. Not a single dwarf of mine has been killed in a siege by the enemy. Around four drowned in a siege, but that does not count in my book. My old fortress has been remodeled into party central, my old massive store rooms and workshops are now statue gardens and meeting halls. I am the capital now (I believe) with roads of metal stretching out to the edges of the map. So uh... Why aren't I dying a miserable death? I think I'm going to move on to  some challenges on embark, some more mega projects, and of course keep the Fortress Defense mod on. The only explanation I can come up with is that I am either A. Too dwarfy to die or B. Too elven to die.  I am considering only using copper armor as well, candy is just too... protective. Heck, just leather. And I don't really need shields do I? My doctors will need practice, so why even give them weapons?... I smell a Sparta fortress coming on! Basically, I was wondering what sort of things you guys do to make the game as insanely difficult as possible. Am I the only one who has a problem of surviving too much?

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: Why aren't I dying horribly yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 07:17:25 pm »

Have you breached the !!FUN!!house yet?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 07:25:50 pm »

Assuming that I, for some reason, wanted to make the game as insanely difficult as possible, I would:

Use all my preparation money to buy male and female cats

Nickname my starting seven after various STD's

Embark on the most evil, savage, and generally foreboding place I could find, with the smallest possible embark size.

Dig to the deepest depths of the planet upon striking the earth.

Only use imported weapons and armor.

Set up camp in the caverns.

No managers or bookkeepers.

Proceed to play for two seconds before my fortress crumbles to its end.

EDIT: Oh, and no magma.

NOTHER EDIT: wait, nevermind, that wouldn't be as insanely difficult as possible. Instead, embark with a dead dwarven civ, and use only weapons and armor salvaged from your enemies.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:33:43 pm by King DZA »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:27:18 pm »

I belive we have new challenge for the dwarfiest among us to take.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 07:47:43 pm »

What I decided on; I'm on a sinister barren ice land. No wood, no water, two packs of ice wolves, along with fortress defense mode. Now this seems fun! DIG DWARVES, DIG. (Oh bollocks, I forgot to check the surrounding civs.)