Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Constantly Upset Noble  (Read 892 times)

RomanGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Baruk khazad! Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
A Constantly Upset Noble
« on: November 04, 2011, 03:46:23 pm »

My idiot baron is constantly traumatized that another dwarf has a better office than he does.  The thing is, all other dwarves that have offices have meager or decent offices and he has an opulent throne room!  I even unassigned all the offices of the other dwarves and he still thinks someone has a better office.  I don't really know how to fix this, all his needs are met and all of his rooms are better than any other dwarf.  Am I missing something?

Also an unrelated question: how do you stop dwarves from collecting eggs so they can hatch?
The world is grey, the mountains old,
the forge's fire is ashen cold.
No harp is wrung, no hammer falls,
the darkness dwells in Durin's halls.
In Moria, in Khazad-dum.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: A Constantly Upset Noble
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 03:50:45 pm »

The problem isn't that another dwarf has a better office than he does.  The problem is that somewhere there is a dwarf with a better office than required.  Nobles tend to get upset any time any dwarf of lesser status than them has any room that his higher than required, even if that room is still inferior to the noble's.

To stop dwarves from collecting eggs, put the nest boxes in a room with a lockable door and lock the door.  You can also go to your food stockpiles and disable eggs and disable cooking of eggs, and/or wait for the eggs to be laid and then immediately forbid them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

RomanGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Baruk khazad! Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 03:54:58 pm »

Ah, I understand the problem now, thanks.  Stupid nobles >:(
The world is grey, the mountains old,
the forge's fire is ashen cold.
No harp is wrung, no hammer falls,
the darkness dwells in Durin's halls.
In Moria, in Khazad-dum.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 08:52:18 pm »

I just keep mine super happy about everything else so the negative influence about other dwarfs' dwellings don't have much of an impact.

Put furnature made from the materials he likes in his room. Meet all of his mandates and demands. Keep a good cook to make his meals.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 10:10:18 am »

Or just arrange an unfortunate accident. Barons are pretty much useless nowadays, their only unbroken function is that one day the king may come... who, unfortunately, is completely broken (and doesn't ever issue mandates).
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 11:11:20 am »

Keep a good cook to make his meals.

I had a legendary cook for over ten years now and the only dwarves I ever see getting good thoughts about food are the ones that like something I have on hand. So unless they get a thought that isn't actually listed, most dwarves won't actually appreciate a roast worth 300* more than a raw mushroom worth 4*.

One way of dealing with uppity nobles I recommend is never appointing a fortress guard. That way they can bitch and moan about mandates all they like without anyone ever getting punished for it. And your high-quality roasts going unappreciated aside, they should still come out happy enough based on all the furniture they admire (as you yourself said). That should also help them get over other dwarves living above their means (or rather what said nobles consider appropriate), but I'm not sure since I haven't had anyone above a noble at a fortress of mine in ages.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 06:58:20 am »

My dwarves get happy thoughts from meals all the time... and they're not even good meals!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 07:17:15 am »

My dwarves get happy thoughts from meals all the time... and they're not even good meals!

Check their preferences. If you find someone enjoying their meals with a preference for food that isn't found in your fortress then that's news to me.

I mean, I'm pretty sure they appreciated meals based on quality back in 40d, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 11:22:00 am »

hm.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler because derail.

Or is it fine since the questions have been answered?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:29:12 am by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.