Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worldgen: everything is too calm!  (Read 512 times)

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
Worldgen: everything is too calm!
« on: November 04, 2011, 03:22:44 pm »

I have a custom worldgen setup that i like, except that everything is calm, serene or sinister.   I cannot get the world to be savage at all, and i really want a savage world!

I set have set  it up with all the savagery options heavily leaning towards making the world savage, it just doesnt work...   what could be wrong here?  do civs reduce the savagery or something?

Slovak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen: everything is too calm!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 03:28:08 pm »

You can try reducing the amount of squares an evil region requires to form, although if it's increased too much, Civs won't spawn and you'll generate an error. I tend to just go heart of savagery and the whole world red, red with the blood of dwarves and humans and everything.

It's fun that way.

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 03:42:49 pm »

I can get evil reigons to spawn just fine, i cover most of my map in evilness,  its just 'sinister'   which is 'evil but not savage'   its savagery I want, and no matter what i do my entire world is completely calm, not even a single area of savagery!

Slovak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 03:48:17 pm »

Hm. Under 'Map Parameters' and 'Map Generation Parameters', there is an option to increase savagery, although I have never used it and do not know how it works. You could play around with it, and see if that solves the issue.

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 03:50:54 pm »

I've tried this,  ive even set the minimum savagery to 99 and maximum to 100.  in theory this should make a rediculously savage world, but no, everything is 'calm'.  :(

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 04:03:50 pm »

Could you post the file that you are using for world gen please?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 04:42:06 pm »

I've started my game regardless, couldnt figure it out /:

and...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only RAW editing I have done aside from this is allowing humans to be playable in fortress mode.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 05:00:20 pm »

So I just generated a world with those exact generation params and got infinite rejections. Upon then changing the minimum savagery from 99 to 50, I gened a new world and got one that was almost completely savage, so I don't know what your problem was. Try it again but with savagery being from 50 to 100 and tell us what happens.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 05:09:54 pm »

Generated it again,  with the changed savagery options and still the same,  absolutely everything is calm, serene or sinister. :(
I reverted my changes so dwarves were the playable race on the off chance that effected it, since that is the only 'modding' i have done, same story.

I'm clueless as to what could be the problem if you are getting a savage world out of that.

EDIT:  update,  i dont know WHY this worked, but it did.

I didnt expect it to work, since there is no logic there,  but i deleted that partictular world gen data,  and pasted it back in again.  now it is working.    Hell, i'm not arguing, I just dont understand.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:14:28 pm by DisgruntledPeasant »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 05:36:50 pm »

For some reason, it rejects any of the biome settings when they exceed 70ish. Probably has something do with necessary areas of calm required for world gen to proceed past a certain point, since most of the game is contingent on the survival of civilizations.

I think the best you can hope for is a seed providing large swaths of biomes surrounding islands of civilization. But I haven't had much luck trying to force it do that through map gen parameters....its dependence on certain values seems way too strict. But for good reasons, probably.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti