Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My baroness is throwing a tantrum...  (Read 4885 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
My baroness is throwing a tantrum...
« on: November 04, 2011, 12:51:41 pm »

So, I noticed that my baroness is randomly throwing tantrums.  She hasn't destroyed anything or hurt anyone yet, but it is interesting considering nothing bad has happened to her that I know of.  She's just sitting in her dining room freaking out.

I checked her thoughts, and about the only thing I can figure is causing it is that she, "Has been utterly traumatized at a lesser noble's pretentious burial arrangements."

I am confuse.

The problem here is that she is the only one in the fort with a tomb at all.  There are two communal coffin farms in the fort that are in engraved rooms, but since I haven't designated any of them as tombs I'm pretty confused on how she might have come to the conclusion that her tomb is worse than someone else's.  Hers isn't exactly spectacular, but it is smoothed, engraved and has some statues in it.

For that matter, what actually counts as a noble in this context?  Does chief medical dwarf, mayor, captain of the guard or similar titles make you a true noble?   Or is it only barons and monarchs?

Ah well, how long until she goes nuts?  She's thrown about 8 tantrums so far, but her mood keeps fluctuating from quite content to miserable.  Dwarves have very strange psyches.   I've read that if your baron dies, in the current version you can't get another.  Is that still true?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:08:04 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: My baroness is throwing a tanrum...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:54:54 pm »

Yes, once your baron/count/duke/king kicks the bucket, you won't be getting another (unless they had kids)

Are any dead dorfs buried in tomb (as in: designated to them before they died)? I don't know if that counts or not, but it's all I can think about.

It may be time for an unfortunate accident during a hunting trip in the 3rd cavern layer.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 12:57:51 pm »

Well, that'd be pure jealousy. The easy ways to fix it are to either

a) Kill her
b) Give her a tomb that is better than any that are currently in use
or
c) get rid of all the fancy graves you have.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:58:00 pm »

I had a dungeon master go nuts because the previous dungeon master died and i left him in his assigned coffin. Basically when it comes to nobles the common folk cannot have anything above a fine anything else they get bad thoughts. Which is a bit tough shit because my entire fort of 300 all have legendary bedrooms. Still. Adamantine flooring in their rooms, artifact furniture, legendary doors etc seems to be producing enough happy thoughts to offset trauma of everyone having bedrooms as nice as them. Except my dungeon masters. I have had 3 of those die so far because they had a tantrum and attacked the captain of the guard by chance. Each one was bisected by an adamantine halberd. Good riddance.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 01:07:07 pm »

Yes, once your baron/count/duke/king kicks the bucket, you won't be getting another (unless they had kids)

Aww, no kids.  Oh well, this fort is going to crap in the last year anyway.  That last forgotten beast was a doozy.

Are any dead dorfs buried in tomb (as in: designated to them before they died)? I don't know if that counts or not, but it's all I can think about.

I'm thinking maybe someone stuff her pet in the coffin in her tomb, or something.  I assumed that a coffin turned into a tomb for someone would be reserved for them personally, but maybe not.  I'd have to check.  I don't think any dwarves would have had an opportunity to get put in there before I designated it as her tomb.

It may be time for an unfortunate accident during a hunting trip in the 3rd cavern layer.

After she let one of my military thirst to death in prison for failing a production order of hers, that option was quite tempting.

Well, that'd be pure jealousy. The easy ways to fix it are to either

a) Kill her
b) Give her a tomb that is better than any that are currently in use
or
c) get rid of all the fancy graves you have.

I am considering atom smashing her.  Would solve a number of problems, heh.

To resolve the situation though, I'm not sure what to do.  As I said, she's the only one has an actual tomb designated.  The other 100+ dead dwarves are in random coffins in a room (not designated as a tomb).  The coffin room is engraved, but it wouldn't actually have value for these purposes unless designated as a tomb, right?

I had a dungeon master go nuts because the previous dungeon master died and i left him in his assigned coffin. Basically when it comes to nobles the common folk cannot have anything above a fine anything else they get bad thoughts. Which is a bit tough shit because my entire fort of 300 all have legendary bedrooms. Still. Adamantine flooring in their rooms, artifact furniture, legendary doors etc seems to be producing enough happy thoughts to offset trauma of everyone having bedrooms as nice as them. Except my dungeon masters. I have had 3 of those die so far because they had a tantrum and attacked the captain of the guard by chance. Each one was bisected by an adamantine halberd. Good riddance.

I noticed that she's still sleeping in her old "commoner" bedroom from before she was baroness, so I should probably fix that at least.  It is certainly not high enough quality to meet her needs (even though she has a perfectly good high quality bedroom).

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 01:11:03 pm »

As long as she has the bedroom, sleeping in the older one shouldn't matter. On the contrary, now she has two bedrooms. As far as the graves go, I figure that the entire room counts as a tomb, regardless of whether you set it to be or not. Simply build her a new coffin somewhere in the room and set the entire thing as hers. you can keep putting in graves for laydwarves I think, so it would ultimately save space.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 01:58:19 pm »

Oh and erm, previous nobles who are put in their tombs DO revert to their civvie professions and will upset other nobles. I fix the issue by deconstructing the tomb and moving the previous noble to a shitty tomb elsewhere, after all, they can't complain any more.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 02:15:22 pm »

Did one of your dwarves make an artifact coffin? Is someone buried in it? That would qualify as "pretentious burial arrangements."

Look at your rooms with "R" and scroll down past the quarters and dining rooms to the graves. You'll probably spot a  Grand Mausoleum or something similar that isn't the one assigned to your baronass.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:53:26 pm »

As long as she has the bedroom, sleeping in the older one shouldn't matter. On the contrary, now she has two bedrooms. As far as the graves go, I figure that the entire room counts as a tomb, regardless of whether you set it to be or not. Simply build her a new coffin somewhere in the room and set the entire thing as hers. you can keep putting in graves for laydwarves I think, so it would ultimately save space.

Are you sure about this? My mayor keeps getting a bad thought from sleeping in a crappy room, even though she owns a spectacular one. She's my legendary brewer, and I think she brews until she's tired and then sleeps whereever, leading to bad thoughts.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 02:54:45 pm »

They also sleep in the closest available bed. If you need to, just assign the cruddier bed to someone else, then they'll sleep in beds fitting their status.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 02:55:04 pm »

Did one of your dwarves make an artifact coffin? Is someone buried in it? That would qualify as "pretentious burial arrangements."

Look at your rooms with "R" and scroll down past the quarters and dining rooms to the graves. You'll probably spot a  Grand Mausoleum or something similar that isn't the one assigned to your baronass.

That is a possibility I suppose.  I had to make about 70 coffins after my last forgotten beast with deadly dust o' doom, so it's entirely possible one of those was a masterwork which had a random schmuck dumped into it.

Interesting thing about the bedroom then.  I've seen bad thoughts from her such as, "Slept in a poor quality bedroom recently", even though by all accounts her bedroom requirements have been met (and she has the best in the fort).  I figured she was just being stupid and sleeping in her old lower quality bedroom and then moaning about it.

I may try moving her "tomb" to the communal coffin garden then.  That might help.

Oh and erm, previous nobles who are put in their tombs DO revert to their civvie professions and will upset other nobles. I fix the issue by deconstructing the tomb and moving the previous noble to a shitty tomb elsewhere, after all, they can't complain any more.

That is interesting, hadn't even thought about that eventuality.  That shouldn't be the problem here (haven't had any other nobles die to my knowledge), but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 03:00:28 pm »

I usually delete a noble's older, crappier bedroom to keep them from getting "slept in a crappy bedroom" thoughts. They do happen.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 11:16:49 pm »

So I think I've figured this out, for those who might come after me with the same issue.

I did have another tomb specified.  It was a 1x1 tomb over one of my guard's coffins.  The value must have been high enough to tick my baroness off, even though it was lower than the value of her tomb.

I read in another more recent thread that nobles will get annoyed if any dwarf has better holdings than they "should", even if it's not enough to be better than the noble themself.  Certainly seems to be what happened here.  The guard was never a noble at any point, so apparently the nobles can get irritated at commoners having nice things.  Kind of makes sense, I guess.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 06:42:10 am »

I read in another more recent thread that nobles will get annoyed if any dwarf has better holdings than they "should", even if it's not enough to be better than the noble themself.

Yes. Everything up to and including Great is safe in my experience, but give anyone a Grand room or better and it gets dicey and can send your noble into a deadly decline. If you catch it early enough you may be able to counter it by giving the noble LOTS of good thoughts (and removing the offending room), else they just spiral unstoppably into Miserable. Annoying.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 10:24:57 am »

I read in another more recent thread that nobles will get annoyed if any dwarf has better holdings than they "should", even if it's not enough to be better than the noble themself.

Yes. Everything up to and including Great is safe in my experience, but give anyone a Grand room or better and it gets dicey and can send your noble into a deadly decline. If you catch it early enough you may be able to counter it by giving the noble LOTS of good thoughts (and removing the offending room), else they just spiral unstoppably into Miserable. Annoying.

"Oh, poo! I have this royal throne room, tomb, and bedroom, but Urist McLegendarywarrior has a slightly better than average room to sleep in that I've never been to or seen! I can't live like this! I demand his room be deconstructed! And make me some more slade earrings! Hey, what are you doing? Why are you throwing me down this chute? Oh, is that what I think it is at the bottom? I love Adamant-"

Urista McBaroness has been struck down!
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.
Pages: [1] 2 3