Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My baroness is throwing a tantrum...  (Read 4882 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My baroness is throwing a tanrum...
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 03:33:59 pm »

It always happens when some shmuck peasants grave is built over an smoothed (Armok help you if masterfully engraced) diamond cluster during a mass burial after a plague.  Then no matter how big the tomb, or how many artifacts you throw in, the baroness will be displeased.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you will find the magma leak eventually.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 03:47:35 pm »

Yeah, my Baron died early on due to some mood reason or another. It was my first Baron, and I was more concerned with anti-goblin measures at the time, so he didn't last long as I didn't realize how sensitive they are.

Is there any way to edit yourself a new Baron? I'd kind of like to try again now that my fort is stable, and don't feel like starting a new one. Plus I want to try getting the king.

I'll probably regret it :D
Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 04:14:00 pm »

Hm, you could try to temporarily edit the raws so the baron is appointed by the expedition leader? That's how some people get the otherwise unavailable Dungeon Master.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 06:11:47 pm »

If you catch it early enough you may be able to counter it by giving the noble LOTS of good thoughts (and removing the offending room), else they just spiral unstoppably into Miserable. Annoying.

That's definitely what I'm seeing happen.  I decided to not do anything about it for a while, since a vile force of darkness arrived about this time, and her mood keeps ping ponging back and forth between quite content and miserable.  It's pretty hilarious that some no namer guard having a nice tomb is enough to offset her having a nice bedroom, a nice dining hall, a steel weapon rack she demanded, and conducting meetings in a very nice setting.

She'll probably go nuts sooner or later, and I'm fine with that.  Gets what she deserves.  I'll just have to remember to not do this in the future, and I'll check out modding the RAWS so I can get a new one if she does go bonkers.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 06:32:42 pm »

My duchess is doing the same thing over bedrooms. She's got a 3x5 room, all walls/floors gabbro, with:
artifact gabbro bed
≡gold statue≡
*gold armor stand*
≡gold weapon rack≡
*gold cabinet*
≡gold statue≡ (this one is of her!)
*gold chest*
artifact green glass portal (set as internal)
2 masterwork engravings

The next best room in the fort is a 2x3 room in gabbro with 3 native gold wall tiles.
≡cedar bed≡
☼gabbro coffer☼
≡gabbro cabinet≡
4 masterwork engravings (all in gabbro)

She's got nothing to complain about, but that doesn't seem to be stopping her. I guess I need to either replace the masterwork coffer in the other room, or else replace my duchess.

The problem is, I don't think I can replace her, just remove her and never have any more nobles. So can someone remind me why I might actually want to have any nobles?

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Kallin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 06:33:08 pm »

From the title of the thread I thought this was about a baroness throwing alcohol. I checked to see what could be so interesting about that that it actually merited its own thread.

And then I read that your baroness is insane, and I realized the thread was much more amusing.
I'm on and off. I usually pop up for a few months then head out for a few.

You've got tentacle teeth or ribbon goblins.  Pick your poison.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 12:07:52 am »

From the title of the thread I thought this was about a baroness throwing alcohol. I checked to see what could be so interesting about that that it actually merited its own thread.

And then I read that your baroness is insane, and I realized the thread was much more amusing.

Hah, I obviously didn't notice the typo else I'd have corrected it.  Can dwarves actually throw barrels of booze during tantrums?  It would be pretty funny for a dwarf to kill another one that way.

I'm feeling a bit sadistic though (DF seems to do that to most of us at times).  If I give more dwarves nice coffins, will that make her get even angrier faster?  After that soldier died of thirst in jail from failing her mandate, I've been looking for a funny way to get rid of her.

Edit: And... fixed the thread title so it's a little less silly :)

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My baroness is throwing a tantrum...
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 02:26:56 pm »

Kill parasite. This is all I have to say.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 04:57:18 pm »

Hm, you could try to temporarily edit the raws so the baron is appointed by the expedition leader? That's how some people get the otherwise unavailable Dungeon Master.

How would you edit the raws to achieve this?
Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 05:29:23 pm »

It may be time for an unfortunate accident during a hunting trip in the 3rd cavern layer.
makes me think of a Prince Philip like dwarf with a rifle in the caverns...

Shooting everything that moves. And then his wife comes calling "Phillip! Phillip!" and he shoots, explaining to the captain of the guard afterwards, "It came at me like a rabid dog!"
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 05:43:02 pm »

How would you edit the raws to achieve this?

Caveat: I've not tried this myself but in theory it should do the trick. Open the entity_default.txt file in the raw/objects folder of your fort (region1 or whatever, not the global raws since they only affect world gen) and search for [POSITION:BARON]. Then temporarily replace its [APPOINTED_BY:MONARCH] token with [APPOINTED_BY:MAYOR], save, load the fort and see if you can assign a baron from the Nobles screen now.

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 08:15:45 pm »

Ok, I'll keep it in mind. My Queen just arrived without the Duke/Count/Baron, so I might not mess with the raws. But thanks anyways for the advice.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 08:27:24 pm »

Changes to the entity raws require a world regen anyway.  You can't edit the nobles in an already existing world.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 09:30:36 pm »

Changes to the entity raws require a world regen anyway.  You can't edit the nobles in an already existing world.

Well, that's unfortunate.  I would just mod it so that I could appoint barons like that in my next world as a contingency, but that would just feel wierd.  I see the tag is that barons are appointed by a monarch, does that mean if I become the capital I could appoint another baron then, or is it completely broken so that once the baroness is gone, that's that?

Not that there is a whole lot of point if you've got a monarch, but more nobles = more Fun, right?

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 03:10:37 am »

Hm, I've modded the entity raws on the fly quite a few times. Adding an altogether new entity or a new position (like baron, Dungeon Master, etc.) requires a regen yes, but fiddling with individual tokens like the activity seasons or snatching works fine for me. Though as I said, I've not messed with the appointed-by token so I don't know for sure about that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3