Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to get rid of magma?  (Read 1186 times)

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get rid of magma?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 01:35:20 pm »

Wait, why can't you still do a bridge over floor grates?  Grates might not be able to support each other, but you can just make a smaller room, or devise a pattern in which to put the grates so that they are more spread out but still connected to an anchoring wall/floor.

Maybe I'm not understanding the set up you are thinking of.  You want to have a bridge with magma on it that you can dump gobbos on?  And then you would retract/raise the bridge to drop the magma + goblinite onto the grated floor below?  If this is it, I don't see why it wouldn't work....if it isn't what you were thinking of, then consider this application instead!  If you use the same magma being drained through the grates to refill the bridge, you'll even have a closed system and won't need to bring up more.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 01:49:14 pm »

melphel, that's the idea, but since grates won't connect to each other, a floor made only of grates is impossible. Making smaller grates sections surrounded by walls/floor might be the next best thing, at least it'll get rid of a lot of magma.

Something like this, maybe
Code: [Select]
###
#+#
###
Place floors on walls and link grates all around. Yeah, sounds good
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 02:03:52 pm »

iirc, grates can't be supported diagonally.

.#.
#+#
.#.
would be your base, fortunately, this shape can tessellate.
###+####+###
#+####+####+
####+####+##
##+####+####
+####+####+#
###+####+###

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 02:12:31 pm »

Right, nothing can be supported diagonally. And yeah, that looks good, plus grates all around supported by walls
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Vindictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 03:19:40 pm »

Magma pressurizes when pumped, ya?

Build a multi-layer pit, then set up a 'grate' floor, and then set it so it'll drain into your obsidian factory.

'Grate' floor-
O=floor
#=grate

##0##0##0##
##0##0##0##
##0##0##0##
##0##0##0##
##0##0##0##
##0##0##0##

This grate floor is set up for maximum drainage/stability. It could also be set up

##0##0##0##
##0##0##0##
##0##0##0##
##0##0##0##
##0##0##0##
##0##0##0##
##0##0##0##
##0##0##0##

which would allow for even more drainage, but still leaves some issues if a cave in destroys one or two squares of the 'support beams'. Not that that should be a real issue, honestly, but better to be safe with your deathtraps, right?
Well, I now have an urge to end sentient life.

I think I'll go meditate for a bit.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 04:29:12 pm »

How big do you need?

=====
#####
#####
=====
2-wide, use all grates

%%%%%
#####
#####
%%%%%
4-wide, use grates + pumps on either wall

The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 05:19:55 pm »

I drain mine out via a magma-proof floodgate that leads to a grate over a "sump".  Grate holds the good stuff for picking up.  And the same access tunnel is also where I have a pump installed for pumping magma from the sump back into the pit.  The sump itself is connected to the main magma reservoir of my fortress via floodgate and fortifications in case I ever need to refresh the supply (and for the initial filling).

Oh, and depending on the surface you want to floor/pave the sump.  Otherwise you might get a tree growing there that blocks the drain.  Imagine being the dwarven woodcutter "volunteered" to go and clear that out...  :-[
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Wistil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 07:04:36 pm »

Woah woah... you don't need to go through all that to get a room full of grates to catch the goblinite and let the magma drain through.  You can construct grates over a room full of down staircases.  I've not tried using just downstairs alone because it doesn't look all that great.  I tried this back in the 40d days but it was horrible because the grates flashed when placed over stairs but not anymore.

Personally I like this design for cooking my goblins:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You could reverse it so that the 2nd bridge is the one the goblins walk over and below that is the grated goblinite catcher so you can retrieve the spoils of magma safely.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 08:06:58 pm »

but better to be safe with your deathtraps, right?

SAFE!?

You elf...
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 08:24:45 pm »

See, I knew there was something very simple I was overlooking. Grates over stairs, that's perfect. Thanks a lot
Pages: 1 [2]