Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to get rid of magma?  (Read 1187 times)

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to get rid of magma?
« on: November 04, 2011, 12:39:01 pm »

If I were to drop a certain amount of goblins into a magma pit, what would be the easiest way to recover the spoilers? I'd planned a drawbridge over a floor made of grates, but apparently grates can't support each other
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: How to get rid of magma?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:43:14 pm »

Just pump the magma out of the chamber, even a manual pump should be enough as long as no more magma flows in.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 12:44:29 pm »

Are you talking about a hole you dug and filled with magma, or did you dump your enemies down a magma pipe?

If the former, I'd probably say just dig a second hole, rig some magma-proof pumps and pump the magma from the first pit into the second. If the latter... it would probably take better !!scientists!! than I to figure that out (though I don't doubt they could eventually figure it out).

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:46:52 pm »

If it was a magma pipe, then the loot fell all the way down to the semi-molten rock and got obliterated, so no way to get that stuff.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:48:54 pm »

A pump would still leave a 1/7 coating of magma everywhere though, wouldn't it? And it'd be slow even getting to that point, given how slowly magma spreads
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:50:41 pm »

Pumps... pump pretty fast, actually, and 1/7 magma "evaporates" after a small while.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 12:57:15 pm »

Pumps pump fast, yeah, but only from one tile. Getting a room full of 7/7 magma to that single tile through normal means will still take longer than I'd want it to

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 01:07:29 pm »

Pumps pump fast, yeah, but only from one tile. Getting a room full of 7/7 magma to that single tile through normal means will still take longer than I'd want it to

What answers are you actually expecting from this? "Here's the magic formula to instant magma control"?

Pumps are the most sensible option, and allow you to recycle most of your lava/magma as well. You could try setting up drains in the sides of the room with bridges, but otherwise, there aren't many worthwhile options to consider.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:11:54 pm »

=/ That's boring

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 01:14:07 pm »

Then you should have thought of that before chucking your stuff into the magma pit?

Foresight is not just a Pokemon move!

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 01:16:44 pm »

I haven't made the pit yet, just planning

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 01:18:04 pm »

Then just make the pit one 7x7 square one tile, filled to 7/7 so you have that much less magma to drain.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:12 pm »

I'm surprised Necro isn't here yet...

Quote from: Necro910
GET RID OF MAGMA?!?
BLASPHEMY!!!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 01:21:46 pm »

It's a pit under a bridge, not an execution pit, so it's quite large

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 01:27:13 pm »

I'm surprised Necro isn't here yet...

Quote from: Necro910
GET RID OF MAGMA?!?
BLASPHEMY!!!
^
Pages: [1] 2