Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave-in upon start -- Please Help <answered>  (Read 688 times)

Chezzik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave-in upon start -- Please Help <answered>
« on: November 04, 2011, 11:02:34 am »

Hey, I just downloaded this game last night, and decided to try it out, so I really have very little idea what I'm doing.

Generating a world took a long time, but I finally got in, and the screen said that the ground had collapsed!  It put me at level 58, and everything was black.  Using <>, I went up to the top level, and it was level 138.  I tried digging on level 138, but after marking the area and unpausing, nothing happened.

So, are my dwarves all on level 58?  Is there way I can light up the world to see it?  Are my dwarves dead?  Do I need to restart?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I am very new, and don't want to go through the pain of regenerating a new world.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:34:26 pm by Chezzik »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Cave-in upon start -- Please Help
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:13:20 am »

Try pressing the "u" key. It'll put up a list of all the creatures (dwarves, animals, allies, enemies) on the map, and you can zoom to them. If you can't find your dwarves, that's the fastest way to do it. Select a dwarf in the list and press "c".

Really, though - I'm somewhat new myself. I had no idea what happened with it saying you had a cave-in when the game started.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:22:01 am »

Cave-in upon start tends to be the sign of a glitchy location.

Chezzik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 11:26:54 am »

Well, I used the 'finder' to pick a location.  I just said no to aquifers, and yes to flux stone and river, and then took what it gave me.

Did it kill my dwarves?  Do I need to restart?  Do I have to make a new world, or is there a way I can use this same world and embark someplace else?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:38:52 am »

The comment before mine tells you how to find your dwarves with the (u)nit menu. Do that first. They should be able to see their surroundings, and that should give you an idea of whether the area is playable or not. Obviously an area with a giant magma column is going to be unplayable as soon as gravity kicks in.

Calm down and use your common sense; unlike your dwarves, you should have some.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 11:48:24 am »

Not necessarily, often it just means that you are going to have some cooler caverns then most people.

But yeah, using the unit screen should let you find your dwarves with no problem and you should be fine. This happening simply means that something caved-in in the caverns and so the game automatically zoomed to it. Your dwarves are probably sitting up on the surface completely unharmed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 12:45:34 pm »

Also, keep in mind that by default, F1 can be used to zoom to your wagon (or the spot where it used to be). You can change where it zooms to later by pressing [h]
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dewar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 12:45:53 pm »

Hitting F1 also centers the camera on your Embark location.

Edit: *Drat* seconds late.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:03:10 pm »

the levels actualy go up as you go down

your dwarves are at lvl 0 or 1.

the cave-in means that there was an unstable ceiling in a cavern there. Probably the map generated an island in a cavern (surrounded by water), and nothing on the floor below to hold it up. It then immediately caves in

check with "a" and then "z". If any of your drones was near, you should see something. Also in "r" (reports) you can usually see if someone got hurt
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Chezzik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 01:33:24 pm »

Thanks for the responses.  I'm not at home, so I can't really try out these suggestions yet, but I'll get to them tonight. 

I really thought that they must be dead, because they weren't on my screen at all, but if the view changes to the point of the cave in, then that makes more sense.

As far as levels, I was looking at the number in the bottom right hand corner. Looking at a screenshot on a guide now, I see that there should also be a number in the top right corner, which probably corresponds to the level that you actually viewing.   All I know is that I had to press shift-< about 80 times before I saw something other than black, and at that point, the number in the bottom right had changed from 58 to 138.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:35:26 pm by Chezzik »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cave-in upon start -- Please Help <answered>
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 01:48:19 pm »

The number in the bottom right I think represents how many levels there are below you to the end of the map. So the cave-in was quite a ways down, but not all the way down.