Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Magma-Related Inquiry  (Read 427 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
A Magma-Related Inquiry
« on: November 03, 2011, 07:32:41 pm »

As my fortress grows larger, and it becomes more and more difficult to keep a decent supply of logs, I've decided to finally incorporate magma into my forging industry. This will be my first time playing around with the stuff, so it should be most interesting, and lucky for me, there is a pool of it about 20 z-levels below.

However, I've been torn between whether or not I should put the effort into building a pump stack. Should I choose to, it will be my first time playing around with pumps as well. There is a nice pillar of rock that I could dig to the magma pool through, so placement isn't a problem.
What worries me is, I've heard that pump stacks significantly drop FPS, which is something I'm having trouble with already(hovers right below 20, if I'm lucky).

I would prefer to move the magma at least 10 levels up, but if the FPS drop is really that bad, I'd be willing to simply dig out a nice hole and set up shop in the depths. So tell me, would a pump stack be worth it?

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: A Magma-Related Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 07:52:35 pm »

Install an off switch on your pumpstack, as the fps drain is only really bad when actively pumping the magma. Or you can use Necrorebels better pumpstack design. Though honestly 20 z-lvls isn't that bad, I'd just build my forges down there and have the smiths get their exercise by walking up and down the flight of stairs. Of course you could also just give them some rooms and a dining hall there too.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: A Magma-Related Inquiry
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:31:07 pm »

Yeah people tend to forget that just because something is down a couple flights of stairs it's really the same as horizontal distance. So going down 10 z-levels is exactly the same as going horizontally 10 tiles and isn't actually that big of a deal.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.