Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Extra Credits  (Read 1383 times)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Extra Credits
« on: November 03, 2011, 07:08:35 pm »

While this thread probably fits better in GD, since it's about games, I feel that it fits better here.

Extra credits is an extremely well-thought out and well-written series of videos by game designers which touch on topic such as game compulsion, sexuality and racism in games, and so on.

Anyone ever see this on the Ecapist before they moved over to Penny Arcade?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Extra Credits
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 07:11:11 pm »

Saw it on The Escapist, found them (eventually) on Youtube, Hopped over to penny arcade after that. Good show, it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 07:35:56 pm »

I was linked to the "gamer" video a long time ago on the escapist. I only started watching it a little while ago, right around the big donation fiasco. I'm glad they've found a home on the escapist. Now I can finally watch my way through their earlier stuff!

Random bit of trivia: the guy is a member of OC Remix. At least the guy with the green shirt avatar.

As far as I know, the show is written by James (avatar has long-ish hair and a blue shirt), but it is recorded and (edited?) by the guy who's avatar has the green shirt and tie. I can't remember his name at the moment, and it's really bugging me. The pictures are done by either Allison, or a guest artist. Allison is the only paid member of the group due to the time it takes to make all the pictures.

Please correct me if I got any of this wrong, I'd hate to be giving out misconceptions about this show.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:07:15 pm »

They are alright videos that I've watched quite a few of, but I personally feel they are a bit overrated. A lot of it is specific to people wanting to be game developers, and the rest doesn't tend to be that deep or informative, or misses big points out.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:08:40 pm »

I see no problem with a show directed at people who want to develop games. I watch it myself, and rather enjoy it.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:51:14 pm »

I like it, and it's certianly a good counterpoint to critic shows  like Zero Punctuation and Jimquistion.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 09:59:30 pm »

I enjoy watching this. It's nice to hear games discussed like they do.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 01:18:22 pm »

I was linked to the "gamer" video a long time ago on the escapist. I only started watching it a little while ago, right around the big donation fiasco. I'm glad they've found a home on the escapist. Now I can finally watch my way through their earlier stuff!

Random bit of trivia: the guy is a member of OC Remix. At least the guy with the green shirt avatar.

As far as I know, the show is written by James (avatar has long-ish hair and a blue shirt), but it is recorded and (edited?) by the guy who's avatar has the green shirt and tie. I can't remember his name at the moment, and it's really bugging me. The pictures are done by either Allison, or a guest artist. Allison is the only paid member of the group due to the time it takes to make all the pictures.

Please correct me if I got any of this wrong, I'd hate to be giving out misconceptions about this show.

The ONLY part you got wrong was that they were on the Escapist up until the donation thing and are now on PA.

I really enjoy the show, they hit on a lot of stuff that I find interesting - especially since I'm looking at getting into the game industry.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:24:51 pm »

They provide a bunch of perspective on how things work and analysis on specific games from time to time. But like everyone who analyzes media and art they are a bit too into the idea of games as art. They are and I don't really want to start a debate on this as we likely have the same views on it, but these guys are perhaps a bit too into it.

It's just the double-edged sword that is deep analysis on stuff.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 01:27:16 pm »

I do kinda disagree with them on "games as art". Not every game is art, in my opinion - I fail to see how fragfests like MW2 count as art - conversely, a game that provides one with meaningful choices a la Mass Effect is definitely art. When you're faced with a decision and put down the controller/mouse to consider the ramifications...then the developer has successfully made art.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 01:39:20 pm »

Art is a very vague and subjective, I dunno if it is my right to say what is and is not art, only what appeals to me.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 02:00:39 pm »

one of my favorite series out there, to be honest
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 02:04:12 pm »

Just because a painting doesn't appeal to you, or because it's a painting made from shards of glass, doesn't make it "not art". Art is a form of expression, regardless of the medium. If you're trying to convey some sense of feeling to the viewer, it's art. Saying a certain form of expression isn't art because it doesn't follow the typical conception of art is... Contradictory. After all, pictures are made, sculptures are crafted, a story is woven... If movies can be considered art, then games can. Throwing in the interactive bit doesn't negate the impact of the expression, but it may dull it because you're more apt to expose yourself to it for longer periods.

And that's what I've learned from Extra Credits. It's a good show, if you're interested in learning more about games at all.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 02:05:57 pm »

snip

The ONLY part you got wrong was that they were on the Escapist up until the donation thing and are now on PA.

I really enjoy the show, they hit on a lot of stuff that I find interesting - especially since I'm looking at getting into the game industry.

Oops. That sentence read Penny arcade in my head. Thanks for the correction.

I've never been clear on the definition of what constitutes art either. I guess one definition could be whatever one finds interesting is art. For deathmatch shooters, maybe the art is in how playing the game can get you into a certain zen-like state. I don't play competetive shooters often, but once in a while I'll jump into a game of Unreal Tournament with some bots,
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 02:10:21 pm by MantisMan »
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 02:23:39 pm »

Oh hey, just stumbled upon this thing here. Same basic idea about game design and stuff cool.
Pages: [1] 2