Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frozen Aquifer  (Read 1975 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Frozen Aquifer
« on: November 03, 2011, 11:00:28 am »

By themselves, Aquifers are very annoying, but, besides avoid like the plague, how do you tackle an Aquifer in a Frozen Biome? You can't use normal methods.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Frozen Aquifer
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 11:02:03 am »

Ice can be smoothed. Thus mine out, smooth, and repeat.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:02:14 am »

Frozen biomes make piercing aquifers easy.  Channel out a large area, exposing the aquifer to the sky.  Channel out the aquifer tiles.  They'll instantly fill with water, which will then turn to ice.  Continue this until you have a large area filled with ice.  Channel through the middle of the ice, build staircases down till you reach the stone under the aquifer.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:14:40 am »

Frozen biomes make piercing aquifers easy.  Channel out a large area, exposing the aquifer to the sky.  Channel out the aquifer tiles.  They'll instantly fill with water, which will then turn to ice.  Continue this until you have a large area filled with ice.  Channel through the middle of the ice, build staircases down till you reach the stone under the aquifer.
I had an embark a while ago where I did just this and it didn't work.  When the aquifer tiles were channeled and exposed, they did freeze into ice, but only into half-ice... As in there was an ice wall in that space, but it was only a half-wall with no walkable floor above it.  From the layer above it read as empty space and I couldn't designate that ice to be channeled.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 12:44:55 pm »

Build floors and and a downstair out of wood or any material you have available. The water freezes into "half-ice" whenever there is a ramp in the tile. You can observe that by goin to a frozen lake and watching the freeze-thaw cycles. Or you can channel out the aquifer first then expose it to the frozen surface.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 03:49:56 pm »

Build floors and and a downstair out of wood or any material you have available. The water freezes into "half-ice" whenever there is a ramp in the tile. You can observe that by goin to a frozen lake and watching the freeze-thaw cycles. Or you can channel out the aquifer first then expose it to the frozen surface.
So then I can mine out the half-wall that is below the downstair?  And then I'm guessing I would have to construct stairs to get at the rest of that level.

Unfortunately, I don't have that save anymore.  My guys ended up starving on that glacier, being which, had no plants, or opportunities to farm, and the only wildlife was a blizzard man that I was ill equipped to kill.  I had revealed to see that the aquifer did in fact spread across the whole map and was 5 layers thick.  It was one of those moments where you just know you are in over your head.

Thanks though, I'll be sure to try this the next time it happens.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 09:21:51 pm »

The problem I keep having is my foolish miners keep getting encased in ice, even when I take measures against that.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 12:06:04 am »

You can get the ice floor to "appear" by constructing something over the tile, and then removing it. I love having cold weather and aquifers coincide, as it makes it very much easier to get through; having a temperate area makes FUN, since it's then a race to beat the thaw.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 12:18:56 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Watching water freeze has never been so interesting.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 01:59:00 am »

I think I will stick with normal aquifer bashing. This place is a graveyard now. Finding magma at z 18 is rare, unless your on a volcano

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 06:18:25 am »

I've seen it, but never on an embark with an aquifer.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 07:09:37 am »

Check my youtube channel. The LP there has an aquifer and magma at z 18

http://www.youtube.com/user/rpengler1?feature=mhee