Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should live dwarves be marked "missing"?

Yes, they need to be recovered.
Yes, and should still be ordered around normally.
No, that seems like a hassle.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Disappearing Live Dwarves (Devlog Quote)  (Read 2134 times)

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disappearing Live Dwarves (Devlog Quote)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 12:25:33 pm »

I really like the idea of missing live dwarves dropping off the unit list, and even going invisible to the player. No offense intended, but I think those who are worried about every dwarf you accidentally wall in or send out mining going missing are exaggerating the system a bit. Toady mentioned a miner who has no contact with your fortress for a year or two going missing. Any normal working dwarf that isn't forced into isolation for some reason (due to death, injury, deliberately walling him in with a farm, etc.) will report back to your dining room to eat often enough that he won't go missing, and under those conditions I have no problem with those few dwarves that do go missing disappearing entirely and needing to be 'found' by your fortress guard. At least, that's how I read Toady's post - and I think we should trust him not to make every miner that's digging out a vein for a week go missing :P
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 12:33:12 pm »

Look, everybody, all I want is for some dwarves to go train somewhere for a few years, never to be heard from again. Then, when a siege arrives, the army is preparing to sortie when out of nowhere...BAM! Ninjas. Killing off the entire siege. Then, once they've done their job, they disappear back up the mountain or something, to await threat to the fortress.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Evile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 12:34:47 pm »

- We should have a change in manager menu after fort reaches certain population to have meeting hall as reset for "missing timer".

- Guards and\or sheriff should go and check last location dwarf was seen if dwarf goes missing.

- Missing dwarf should be shown on unit screen as "missing" while it would be impossible to zoom to him.

- All his friends should suffer small happiness drop from him missing, said drop would be reversed when he is found, aggravated if he is found dead.

Edit: - It could be possible to implement "task offices" at high populations where dwarfs should show up to gain new task\reset missing timer. (And security cameras everywhere! 1984 fashion)

Edit 2: Might be good to implement secondary groups (like the one you named during the embark) so you can have multiple groups on one embark formed due to separation. with largest holding initial group title and next gaining new random one.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:41:47 pm by Evile »

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 12:38:00 pm »

Look, everybody, all I want is for some dwarves to go train somewhere for a few years, never to be heard from again. Then, when a siege arrives, the army is preparing to sortie when out of nowhere...BAM! Ninjas. Killing off the entire siege. Then, once they've done their job, they disappear back up the mountain or something, to await threat to the fortress.
This would be the best thing.
くコ:彡

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 12:46:02 pm »

I look forward to a fort where with careful planning and management, I manage to get every dwarf marked as 'missing'.  And then the fort crashes or something.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 01:10:17 pm »

Many good ideas in this thread, but i think live missing dwarves should operate mostly internally, with overseer reports ocurring only if the missing dorf is stranded/walled in. Some thoughts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think this is a good idea. Totally losing control of any group of dwarves, especially those that you definitively want to be kept separate from the rest of the populace but still control, would be a problem. You could have dwarves that the majority of the populace doesn't know are there, but you're still aware of them yourself because they're aware of one-another. The buddy system.

As Evile just pointed out, guardsmen/sheriffs need to go check their last known location. Hopefully Toady would see the need for implementing tracking and trails at that point, so the guardsmen can hunt them down. And the use of meeting zones to reset the missing timer is a good idea as well.

The question though, is determining how the player actually views the world. To have dwarves worried about their acquaintances going missing I could accept, and to have announcements depend solely on what the dwarves know is also acceptable. But other than that, I would see little value in taking away the player's omniscience regarding our ability to see everything going on in the world.
For instance, if the player's perspective is that of the dwarven government, then we'd almost have to take a purely first-person perspective where you have absolutely no idea what's going on unless the mayor can see it happening or be told by another dwarf he respects.
If we're a god though, then it would make sense that we know everything about what's happening on screen, and everything your dwarves know, but nothing that neither your dwarves know nor is happening when it isn't actually on screen.
If you SAW Urist McGoodVictim being murdered by a vampire, then there would be no question about it and you could act immediately, but if the dwarves don't know and you didn't see it happen, then you have to wait to find out about it.

This would have to go for invaders and other creatures as well: they may search the fortress for things to kill, but unless they interrogate Urist McSocialite (and he caves), they wouldn't know of any dwarves they cannot see. Then, if they have covered every accessible space of the fortress and can't find any clue to where the survivors could be hiding, they would start to settle in. If they do find evidence of places where dwarves could definitely be hiding, such as a locked hatch on the floor above them where the trolls can't bash it in, then they could blockade it/use their tunnelers to make their own entrance, and possibly begin settling simultaneously. You could end up seeing the goblins moving into your fort and/or looting it while your few survivors are locked away in a well-hidden cell. Then the question becomes how the outside world treats it; if they now understand it to be a goblin-controlled fort, you wouldn't get migrants, other than goblins, but possibly dwarven armies, or others that want to siege the goblins. You could also engage in guerrilla warfare with the goblins to take back the fortress.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:15:39 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 01:44:42 pm »

Spoiler: massive quote (click to show/hide)

Oh my gawd, that is an amazing concept... I just thought back to so many sci-fi movies where there's a civ living their lives doing whatever, while another, secret civ is moving around behind the scenes. This brings up a new concept: what if Toady adds a new skill where dwarves can disguise themselves as members of another civ? Then we can get into espionage and actually have migrants of different races come depending on who they think lives in the fort.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:17:57 pm by ASCIt »
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 02:19:26 pm »

Sci-fi movies?  Bah, I give you the real world.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 02:26:47 pm »

Spoiler: massive quote (click to show/hide)

Oh my gawd, that is an amazing concept... I just thought back to so many sci-fi movies where there's a civ living their lives doing whatever, while another, secret civ is moving around behind the scenes. This brings up a new concept: what if Toady adds a new skill where dwarves can disguise themselves as members of another civ? Then we can get into espionage and actually have migrants of different races come depending on who they think lives in the fort.
DORF STACK!

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 09:41:25 pm »

Many good ideas in this thread, but i think live missing dwarves should operate mostly internally, with overseer reports ocurring only if the missing dorf is stranded/walled in. Some thoughts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think this is a good idea. Totally losing control of any group of dwarves, especially those that you definitively want to be kept separate from the rest of the populace but still control, would be a problem. You could have dwarves that the majority of the populace doesn't know are there, but you're still aware of them yourself because they're aware of one-another. The buddy system.

As Evile just pointed out, guardsmen/sheriffs need to go check their last known location. Hopefully Toady would see the need for implementing tracking and trails at that point, so the guardsmen can hunt them down. And the use of meeting zones to reset the missing timer is a good idea as well.

The question though, is determining how the player actually views the world. To have dwarves worried about their acquaintances going missing I could accept, and to have announcements depend solely on what the dwarves know is also acceptable. But other than that, I would see little value in taking away the player's omniscience regarding our ability to see everything going on in the world.
For instance, if the player's perspective is that of the dwarven government, then we'd almost have to take a purely first-person perspective where you have absolutely no idea what's going on unless the mayor can see it happening or be told by another dwarf he respects.
If we're a god though, then it would make sense that we know everything about what's happening on screen, and everything your dwarves know, but nothing that neither your dwarves know nor is happening when it isn't actually on screen.
If you SAW Urist McGoodVictim being murdered by a vampire, then there would be no question about it and you could act immediately, but if the dwarves don't know and you didn't see it happen, then you have to wait to find out about it.

This would have to go for invaders and other creatures as well: they may search the fortress for things to kill, but unless they interrogate Urist McSocialite (and he caves), they wouldn't know of any dwarves they cannot see. Then, if they have covered every accessible space of the fortress and can't find any clue to where the survivors could be hiding, they would start to settle in. If they do find evidence of places where dwarves could definitely be hiding, such as a locked hatch on the floor above them where the trolls can't bash it in, then they could blockade it/use their tunnelers to make their own entrance, and possibly begin settling simultaneously. You could end up seeing the goblins moving into your fort and/or looting it while your few survivors are locked away in a well-hidden cell. Then the question becomes how the outside world treats it; if they now understand it to be a goblin-controlled fort, you wouldn't get migrants, other than goblins, but possibly dwarven armies, or others that want to siege the goblins. You could also engage in guerrilla warfare with the goblins to take back the fortress.
Both of these ideas. Of course, if they are implemented now, we won't see a release for the next few months. Might be worth it though...
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 10:16:45 pm »

We're already beyond the "wait for the next release to start a fort" phase.  I believe we can all agree that we might not see a release until the middle of next year, at this rate.  And it shall be worth any wait...

Either way, saying "we might not see a release soon" is moot.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 10:15:25 pm »

Actually it sounded like it has entered a wrap-up phase, just finishing off the night creatures to ensure they're actually prepared for play. I think that we may actually see the next update before Christmas.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kallin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 11:52:53 pm »

I can already see the bugs happening with this.

Ghosts being marked as missing. Your population dwindling down to one dwarf, who simply ceases to exist because "nobody" has "seen" him in years. Dwarves reporting themselves as missing. Dwarves being reported as missing because a dwarf got put into a different burrow.

I like the suggestion that there's a difference in being reported as missing in mined out areas, and in caverns and the outside wilderness. It'd make sense if it took longer if they were simply in a designated area, or in their room, while it taking less time if they're in a non-fortress area.
I'm on and off. I usually pop up for a few months then head out for a few.

You've got tentacle teeth or ribbon goblins.  Pick your poison.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 07:11:30 am »

How about a hirarchy? Gives the nobles some use, as the only true contact directly to you, the overmind.
The fortress guard would be responsible for reporting everything to them, and you would always know what they knew.
Or some form of this.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 08:11:49 am »

I'm really liking the ideas in here, especially the ones about having the sherriff and fortress guard acting as detectives,  it would add in a lot more uses for social skills, since your guards would use them for info gathering,  they would ask people about the missing dwarf- find out who his freinds and relations are, seek them out and question them, work out where he was when he went missing ect ect,  with poor social skills this could take too long, and they could even make mistakes and search the wrong areas!.

This would make selecting your fortress guard well even more important, tough and trained soldiers would of course be better in combat, but very social dwarves would be able to keep tabs on other dwarves much easier and will gather accurate information much faster.

Dwarves should automatically keep tabs on their freinds and relations on a casual manner, keeping a closer eye on closer freinds/family,  and only taking note of passing aquantances on an infrequent manner.  when dwarves talk they would 'share' their info about freinds/family by talking about them,   if a dwarf talks to someone who has seen a freind recently, this will reassure them that they are fine. 
BUT-  a murderer or vampire may well lie about having seen a  dead dwarf recently,  to delay any search and rescue attempt!
Pages: 1 [2] 3