Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DC Universe Online Goes F2P with Steam...  (Read 2374 times)

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DC Universe Online Goes F2P with Steam...
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 09:21:52 am »

I think I'll give it a try when I get around to it, but am currently playing City of Heroes and have Champions Online on my "to-play" list.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 10:12:17 am »

Hmm. Well, installed successfully, made a character, game crashed and now it tells me I can't logon, maybe my password is wrong? Reset it, still says it can't logon. So maybe the validation server is down for maintenance or something.

I'll try again in a few hours, but it looks about like I suspected: can technically run it, but it's painfully slow.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 10:33:53 am »

Ok fine, I'll admit the fact that your second to other heros can be considered a benefit instead of a flaw.

Mind you feeling like a nobody between quests isn't avoided in this game. You will be arresting nameless thugs the majority of the time.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 02:31:37 pm »

You never feel unpowerful though, personally I love running around the city with my acrobatic skills.

Damn Sony were NOT prepared for this f2p launch though, the servers have been down more than up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 03:25:47 pm »

You never feel unpowerful though, personally I love running around the city with my acrobatic skills.

Damn Sony were NOT prepared for this f2p launch though, the servers have been down more than up.

Yep never unpowerful. In fact maybe your too powerful. As soon as you can unlock SHAZAM!!! you pretty much unlocked the most powerful looking attack. I think you can do that at level 10?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 03:31:51 pm »

Hmm...just looking through the wiki, I'm underwhelmed by the limited powersets and costuming choices. Obviously Champions has a big headstart, but it has a HUGE range of costume options at this point, and a pretty robust list of powersets.

The "Inspired By" option is an interesting touch though. Fun if you wanted to run a group of "2099" characters or alternate Earth, etc. Basically, you pick a major DC character, and it automatically picks your powersets, stats, personality, and even some costume options to match the "feel" of that major character. So if you want to play an expy, it makes it easier.

It'll be interesting to see how my two main CoH/Champions Online characters (Red Threat and White Devil) translate over. Red is a Soviet power armor design--all red and gold with silver and black trim, and a sort of throwback, kludgy look to his armor. Basically I made him in CoH to be the tankiest tank that ever tanked a tank. He was awesome. Modified a bit in Champions, added some alt looks that were more modernized, and traded a bit of tankability away for some ranged power armor abilities. Granted, the power armor trope is a lot more Marvel than DC. DC has always been much more into the "spandex tights" department.

White Devil was an archaeologist "ridden" by an African fire god as his vessel to fight the forces of his rival, a god of darkness. Acrobatics and fireballs and a slick white jumpsuit with red and gold flame accents. Did a later "tribal" toon of him where he was becoming more and more primal due to long-term effects of being a divine vessel. He'd make a good Vertigo character.

My biggest disappointment though, may be that I won't be able to do a decent Matter-Eater Lad expy.  :P
Heck, I can't even talk to fish like Aquaman.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 04:09:17 pm »

Did they add the lantern corps?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 05:01:41 pm »

Did they add the lantern corps?

Yah, it's a paid DLC add-on. Only Green and Sinestro corps though.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 08:37:31 pm »

looking through the wiki, I'm underwhelmed by the
limited powersets and costuming choices.

I agree that the powersets seemed strange and arbitrary, but I was pleased with the costume designer. When I started I had a clear image of what I wanted the character to look like, and when I was finished, the end result was fairly close.

I don't seem to be able to play though. I click play, it minimizes, then after about 15 seconds a crash reporter starts but my screen is black and I can't bring it into focus. Odd that it won't even start. I was able to make a character previously.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 08:36:45 am »

Now I was going to make a Villain with the name Obsidian. But that name tickled something, so I googled DCUniverse Obsidian. And lo and behold, there already was a Villain named Obsidian. Something bout Shadows and Merging with them, But it was Lantern Comics he appeared in, ain't much for a guy who has a magical ring...

Oh well, next...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 08:39:32 am »

I'm hoping to give this a shot this weekend (can't beat free), hope they iron out the server problems before then.

Not sure what I'm expecting it to be like -- hoping for some mild amusement and fun fighting. Will probably be a villain first, following the Joker around sounds like an interesting time.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 08:54:48 am »

Everyone seems to like the idea of following the Joker...
Also if ya haven't check out the Intro...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNXe8Mw4u1A
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 12:35:37 pm »

The intro is amazing.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 01:32:32 pm »

The voice cast has some really great highlights (and quite a few that feel like placeholders sadly). Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamill as the Joker are of course the classic pair, with Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn IIRC. Adam Baldwin ( (Jayne on Firefly, Chuck) plays Superman, James Marsters (Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) is Luthor, and Gina Torres (Zoey from Firefly) rounds out the Whedon crew as Wonder Woman. Wil Wheaton does Tim Drake/Robin, Michelle Forbes (Ensign Ro in Star Trek: TNG) as Circe, Dwight Schultz (Murdock from the A-Team, Lieutentant Barclay on Star Trek TNG) plays Flash and Martian Manhunter, and Corey Burton reprising his role from the animated series as Brainiac rounds out some of the better known voices. :D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:36:35 pm by Tilla »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 02:56:08 pm »

Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamill as the Joker are of course the classic pair

I dread the day we won't have their voices anymore.

I've heard the voices they give the joker when Mark Hamill isn't there to lend a hand and they are all terrible. Though I have heard good alternative Batman voices.
Pages: 1 [2] 3