Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DC Universe Online Goes F2P with Steam...  (Read 2377 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DC Universe Online Goes F2P with Steam...
« on: November 03, 2011, 01:44:14 am »

So, a game that has been out for a while, set within the DC Universe where all the Supers and Villains have been Killed by the Major Villain known as Brainiac who had returned from an Exile of sorts (Prob something from a DC Novel that I have missed.) and has drained the powers from those he had killed. Lex Luthor, the LAST of the Villains alive, surviving by hiding like a rat, stole from Brainiac his own tech and that of the extracted powers, traveled back in time to a point before Brainiac's invasion, and gave to the WORLD via Nanobite things, Powers, so that there will be more forces of Justice and Evil to verse Brainiac when he returns, that is if they can stop from destroying each other as it seems to be like always...

Can you tell I wrote that from just watching the cinimatic??? Yeah, I really need to catch up on my DC back stories... REGARDLESS... Its F2P, and on Steam. Currently Installing it now... Who else? Who will join me in seeing what this game has to offer, or heck, have you already played it before...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DC Universe Online Goes F2P with Steam...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 01:55:42 am »

Who will join me in seeing what this game has to offer

Willing to download and try it, but the system requirements are kind of harsh. I might be technically able to play it, but I'm not sure it will be well enough to enjoy it. Will keep you posted.

Be sure to post which server you make your character on.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 02:02:48 am »

Goddamn, I was so excited when I first heard about this game, the first reall MMO on Ps3. I was planning to get it, thinking how awesome it would be, and then... Monthly payments. FUUUU-
Needless to say, I didn't buy it. :P And if I could run MMOs on my computer, I'd probably be playing something more awesome, like Warhammer Online or Age of Conan... *sigh*
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 02:04:26 am »

Goddamn, I was so excited when I first heard about this game, the first reall MMO on Ps3. I was planning to get it, thinking how awesome it would be, and then... Monthly payments. FUUUU-
Needless to say, I didn't buy it. :P And if I could run MMOs on my computer, I'd probably be playing something more awesome, like Warhammer Online or Age of Conan... *sigh*
It ain't F2P on the PS3 now???
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 02:15:34 am »

They're working on putting the free download on PSN right now, it's a big file but it should be up soon.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 02:23:28 am »

Download in progress. Should take about an hour.

Heros or villains, any preferences?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 02:36:27 am »

Going Villain here, too many times have I bean the good guy...

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 03:25:55 am »

Bonus for choosing Joker as your mentor, with the voice of Mark Hamill occasionally giving flavor text for missions :P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 07:10:40 am »

Huh. I'd be interested in this for a while, definitely might check it now that it's F2P. I've rediscovered my love for Champions Online ever since it went F2P.

Although, 2/3 of the fun for me is the costume design. It's like playing dolly dress-up, only for men.  :-[

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 07:23:03 am »

Wow, free on PSN? Oh man that is awesome! Shame I don't actually have internet to my Ps3 at the moment, or I'd be all over it. ::)
Well, it's good to see awesome stuff like this is happening, anyhow! :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 07:31:00 am »

So after fiddling with where I am getting the data through, I am now getting at least 300kb/s via China... Ugh still so slow. Anyone got anything faster???

I am in Australia btw...

ALSO, if I remember right, PSN and PC servers are interconnected I think, well in some way at least. I remember seeing someone talking about that somewhere. Though I may be very wrong, I do that sometimes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 08:37:59 am »

IMO the largest problem with the game is that you really don't feel like "THE" Hero.

You feel like a minor hero, or villain who is assisting a much greater one almost all the time.

This is ESPECIALLY bad in some missions where your not even the one who fights the villain but the hero your assisting.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:00:22 am »

my biggest problem was the control scheme and combat mechanics. I hope you all enjoy it though.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 09:08:47 am »

So what are the free to play limitations for this one?
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 09:09:27 am »

IMO the largest problem with the game is that you really don't feel like "THE" Hero.

You feel like a minor hero, or villain who is assisting a much greater one almost all the time.

This is ESPECIALLY bad in some missions where your not even the one who fights the villain but the hero your assisting.

That actually sounds kinda good. One of the things about Champions that irks me is that y'know...you're singlehandedly saving the planet from alien invasionin the tutorial. And yet when you get out of the tutorial, you're Captain Nobody fighting mobsters. I don't mind the idea of your character being a supporting character and then slowly getting more involved as they level up. Unless you're max-levelled and Batman is still sending you to chase after one of the mooks while *he* takes care of the Joker. Batman's a glory-hogging prick.

It'd be amusing if the villain missions worked the opposite way. "Oh look, it's Superman! Hey, New Guy! Take care of him while I slip out this conveniently-placed exit!"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: [1] 2 3