Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: game too easy  (Read 9317 times)

Aisher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
game too easy
« on: November 02, 2011, 11:36:24 pm »

embark. carve out halls in mountain. setup trade depot, crafts workshop, stockpiles. make rock crafts. setup few traps and a raising bridge. when the first caravan arrives you could buy almost everything,  because you get a zilion value in rock craft. A siege? no problem - goblins are too dumb you don't even need a military to beat them.

yes i know i could handicap myself - embark in a hot desert with evil biome and aquifier and didn't build more than 5 traps and so one...

traders shouldn't accept a tons of -rock toy boat- if there a ≡rock toy boat≡ present and -gold toy boat- only makes worse for stone, and you can sell them only by encrusting with gems for example. as for now i didn't bother to search for a gems except for a mooded dwarf.

Siege should be a siege and not a sucidal run into the traps. goblins should bring a mechanic who can disarm the trap. they shold bring or build balistas to break your raised bridge, build own bridge over your moat etc, etc.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
Re: game too easy
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:38:50 pm »

I see you haven't found the candy yet. Or megabeasts. Or really tried the caverns. Dig deeper. You'll see where the hard is.

As well, many tougher enemies have a wonderful thing called [trapavoid] in their files.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 11:40:58 pm »

There are plans to fix all of this.  The economics are going to be retuned eventually so that dumping 1000 stone crafts on the caravans will devalue them and make it counter productive to just produce a lot of junk.  You'll need variety.

Siege AI is going to be improved eventually as well.  Tunnelers, learning from death halls, things like that.

It'll be quite some time before we see all of that though, so for the moment, amuse yourself by trying to conquer the circus.  Without using cave-ins.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:42:36 pm »

All of that is only half the game.
Dig deeper as restricted suggested.
That will show you the true meaning of challenge.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:44:27 pm »

I feel I should add that another part of the difficulty is the pure pointlessness of some of the constructs you're going to be inspired to do after a while, pumping sugarwater up from the depths just to rain it on sieges instead of using traps.

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:45:16 pm »

I agree, and Toady's seems to agree as well, judging from the goals page and DF talk. :D

I think Toady was talking about making traps more difficult to set up, needing multiple tiles and all that. Actually, when I first learned that traps existed, I assumed they would require multiple tiles! I expected that if I wanted a spinning disc (what's the difference between 'disc' and 'disk'?) coming out of the wall, I'd need to build a trap that, well... came out of the wall. Like a mechanism on both sides of the wall, or something. I also assumed I'd need power for all my traps (how does it spin otherwise?), so held off building them until I'd learned about power.

Then I found they were easy to set up. Really easy.  :(

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 11:55:13 pm »

I recommend not ever making crafts. they just build up, and cause fps drop, while making trade too easy. don't make anything out of stone. only wood and metal chairs (also good aesthetically, while increasing difficulty, esp if in a desert). don't block off the caverns at all, when you discover them. makes the game much more !!fun!!. most of all, I recommend starting to play with less of a utilitarian viewpoint, and more of a narrative based one. The goal is not to win anything, or completely stop the goblins, its to make a cool more or less long lasting fort.
     If you are looking for a technical challenge, play a surface game with no city wall (and a mine solely for mining), and attempt to mod out migration waves (beyond the first two hard-coded ones) by making something of negative wealth or something. or maybe try a multi city challenge, burrowing dwarves in their separate cities.
     Most of all.... CAVERNS ARE !!FUN!!. try playing a game where you immediately dig down to the caverns, and have to survive building from the wood there, and a few stones and ore you shallowly mine. Getting a working military is a must then, and a challenge.
     And when bored, play around with loyalty cascades.
I don't see where the dissatisfaction comes from, friend.
Though sieges ARE a little bit too easy to foil, if you don't limit yourself. That'll come in later releases

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 04:40:21 am »

Normally, I would try to think up some fun and interesting things for you to attempt to keep the boredom at bay, but as others have already stated, you seem to have barely scratched the surface of the true dangers ‼FUN‼ that DF holds.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:38:11 am by King DZA »

Diicc Tater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 06:03:14 am »

(response to flaming removed)

Further more, just wait till you get a dwarf caravan, which gets caught in an ambush. Where the Merchant goes berserk and kills one of your haulers who, while unburrowed, headed for the "fat lewt" the donkeys dropped. This Merchans gets a kill-tag for your Squads to play with...
And then you know you won't say "DF isn't hard" again...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:32:05 pm by Toady One »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 06:10:15 am »

See my signature.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 06:31:08 am »

First of all am i the only one that just murders traders rather than actually trading with them?  Seem's much easier.  Aaaany way...gobbo sieges aren't gonna be super difficult.  I mean...their gobbos.  Go piss off the hippies or the humans...they put up more of a fight.  Wait for titans, fb's nd mega beasts.  Oh and dig down. 
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 11:19:06 am »

I agree about sieges.  I recommended on the eternal suggestions for scalable walls during sieges.  I.e. the enemy camps outside the unapproachable area, and starts building siege equipment as well as ladders to scale the walls.  They should also be able to take down your walls by deconstructing them (though I recommended that they be deconstructed at a slower pace than dwarves.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 11:33:06 am »

Solution: don't build simple traps.

I tried to build an aboveground fortress in a a terrifying biome with no iron, and got wiped by the second siege. The game is as hard as you make it.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 11:35:36 am »

Im letting the game tick over with my 20 legendary melee dwarfs and 10 legendary marksdorfs along with a truly murderous kill corridor just to see how long the game takes to kill me off, i have the permantent siege tag for some reason so i cant actively piss off other civs to send sieges too. I had a dream last night...first person DF and i had a DFhack exe that let me turn all civs hostile to me. I wish it were true.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 11:56:33 am »

Yeah if you use stone crafts, trading becomes pretty pointless because you can just buy out entire caravans. It's better to just restrict yourself until Toady can finish his next release.

Just wait until siegers can dig under your walls or something. Fun times. :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6