Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Pfft, forget steel.  (Read 10168 times)

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pfft, forget steel.
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 08:52:37 pm »

Adamantine seems to me to be the most common metal.  It's guaranteed in any 2x2, unlike the naturally abundant iron, and the fairly prevalent copper. With some simple regulations, every dwarf on the continent could have adamantine thread socks.
AFAIK, 2x2 hasn't got a guaranteed spire.
Since one spire is randomly placed in every 2x2 grid, you could well have:
o..o
o..o
where o is candy and . is no candy.
there is even a 2x3 without it.
But I know what you mean, remember the 13k candy map that was around here a while ago?
It had, as the name tells, 13k candy and 1k iron.
I think even without unleashing ‼FUN‼ you could still mine 10 k or so, AND it even had a fortress in the fortress, if you know what I mean.
greetz

Now that I think about it you could have 2x9999 without adamantine by virtue of extreme (bad) luck. It'd be fun to have some sort of tunneling megabeast that feeds on adamantine and migrates in through the magma sea. (It'd have some sort of stone echolocation to keep from gnawing off too much)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 09:30:11 pm »

In all the forts I've ever made, I've never once touched adamantine.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 09:37:12 pm »

In all the forts I've ever made, I've never once touched adamantine.

Breaching the magma sea will usually net you a vein or two, excepting the occasional 2x2 embark.

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 11:31:55 pm »

So you are wasting candy on (armor|weapon)smiths with skill below legendary?
Pretty much, yes. I always have an excess of the stuff somehow. I have about 50 statues, 70 full sets of armor and I still have around 100 wafers left. I think I'll just start using it to make socks.

Heck, I even build candy roads to speed up the Becoming-the-Capital process, if there's not enough gold for it to make the roads. If I ever need more candy I can deconstruct the road.
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2011, 12:05:01 am »

... and they can't really steal your road, either. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2011, 07:04:44 am »

... and they can't really steal your road, either. ;)

"Hey, Urist? Didn't we have a road here a minute ago?"

"Hmmm. Yeah, I could've sworn it was there right before the kobold ambush hit..."
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2011, 02:51:03 am »

I tend to have more fun with low-end materials, and would like to see them extended a little a little (bone weaponry, leather hardening, cloth-based armour, staves, more stone weapons). Yes, much of this is easy to hack but it would be cool to have these officially.

Candy in particular offends my sensibilities (bogus values that requrie excessive wankery to justify), and the weaker materials encourage more diversity in my military.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2011, 03:14:21 am »

I tend to have more fun with low-end materials, and would like to see them extended a little a little (bone weaponry, leather hardening, cloth-based armour, staves, more stone weapons). Yes, much of this is easy to hack but it would be cool to have these officially.

Candy in particular offends my sensibilities (bogus values that requrie excessive wankery to justify), and the weaker materials encourage more diversity in my military.

I would have liked Adamantine to be closer to the Warhammer 40k equiv or the Fantasy Dwarves counterpart, Gromril. It's a cross between mithril (nigh indestructable) and tank plate (bloody heavy). Though Gromril was designed to be interlocking plates which would stop several hundred million tons of rock crushing the dwarf long enough for him to be dug it does it's job at making absurdly sharp axes, abusrdly crushy hammers and at one point a whole enclosed suit without eyeslits so they could march through an elven forest with flame throwers and not be fallen to arrows to the eyes. /rambleramble
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2011, 07:52:27 pm »

MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
In cause you dident know if somethign requires this and I get to it before Necro I say it for him :P
I just got here from a link, and I have to say YOU AREN'T EVEN DOING IT RIGHT!

It's
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2011, 07:57:22 pm »

Aaaaaand the universe is now slightly more doomed.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2011, 08:00:56 pm »

Im actually building an orcish town on top of a demonic fortress...
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2011, 10:18:16 pm »

I've only ever equipped one maybe two guys with full Adamantine. Outside of that, I pride myself on have a number of uniforms set up and fully stocked even with modded pieces and materials. For example; the standard go to infantry wears a fur bearskin, emerald blue longcoat over a metal breastplate and greaves, iron or copper gauntlets and leather boots all encompassing a silk pair of trousers, shirt and leather puttees.

I mean, sure casualties are high, but military if conscription rates tend to be similar to migrant influxes and strategy changes to compensate for high or low numbers. Who cares? They die looking awesome and uniformed, plus it's a decent form of population control.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2011, 10:53:20 pm »

WHILE WERE ON THE SUBJECT. What does one do when they run into the circus on the way down to the magma?
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2011, 10:56:41 pm »

WHILE WERE ON THE SUBJECT. What does one do when they run into the circus on the way down to the magma?

I've never found a situation where the magma seas led directly to some pretty fun stuff, but basically,

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2011, 01:19:38 am »

I've only ever equipped one maybe two guys with full Adamantine. Outside of that, I pride myself on have a number of uniforms set up and fully stocked even with modded pieces and materials. For example; the standard go to infantry wears a fur bearskin, emerald blue longcoat over a metal breastplate and greaves, iron or copper gauntlets and leather boots all encompassing a silk pair of trousers, shirt and leather puttees.
I try to do something a bit similar with my marksdwarf squads: Metal breastplate and helmet over a red cloth tunic or coat, a white shirt, blue trousers and leather boots. Sometimes I'll include gloves and a cloak if I've embarked somewhere especially cold. This is for squads who are supposed to be stationed behind fortifications, mind you; my melee squads get a chainmail shirt and leggings.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5