Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Pfft, forget steel.  (Read 10166 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Pfft, forget steel.
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 04:05:48 pm »

I think I'm on a 3x3 embark. I have only accessed 1 of my supposed 9 spires...CANDY CLOTHES FOR ALL!

Don't get too greedy... We all know what happens when that happens....

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 04:10:50 pm »

I think I'm on a 3x3 embark. I have only accessed 1 of my supposed 9 spires...CANDY CLOTHES FOR ALL!

Don't get too greedy... We all know what happens when that happens.... FUN!

FTFY

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 04:21:12 pm »

On my old fort, or any ones that hit a sedimentary mountain, I outfit basic soldiers (sword, spear, etc) in iron, an axe, sword and spear squad to guard the entrance walls in steel, and my skirmishers (unskilled civilians) in copper breastplates/spears.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 04:23:04 pm »

A 3x3 will still have a max of 4 spires.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 04:24:59 pm »

Might have a demonic fort on it.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 04:27:07 pm »

within the first year, ill dig a shaft down to the magma sea, just to find out how deep it is.
If it's fewer than 60 lvls down, i go straight for the candy as well.

although even in that scenario, ill still make a few bars of steel (along with every other metal possible), just to fulfill mandates.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 06:08:03 pm »

MAMGAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
In cause you dident know if somethign requires this and I get to it before Necro I say it for him :P

You're fired.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 06:14:07 pm »

Sheesh - and to think I consider myself lucky when I find copper (and thrilled for tetrahedrite). I had an embark rich in iron and coal once - and promptly did something stupid that resulted in !FUN! (can't even remember what now - just remember I was excited, but the fort died early...)  I did manage to find candy once, spin and craft a handful of items - and the FPS ended up getting so bad on that mature fort (at the time, I didn't know that a 4x4 embark was a bad idea on my machine in the later stages) I ended up giving that one up in frustration.

I remember an embark - the only metal I could find was a lead ore...  not super helpful...  :(

Either I'm not digging right, or I have my scarcity for minerals set way lower than normal...

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 06:22:37 pm »

Adamantine seems to me to be the most common metal.  It's guaranteed in any 2x2, unlike the naturally abundant iron, and the fairly prevalent copper. With some simple regulations, every dwarf on the continent could have adamantine thread socks.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 07:30:17 pm »

Adamantine seems to me to be the most common metal.  It's guaranteed in any 2x2, unlike the naturally abundant iron, and the fairly prevalent copper. With some simple regulations, every dwarf on the continent could have adamantine thread socks.
That's what Clowns are for.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 07:33:33 pm »

That's what Clowns are for.
i think thats what the regulations are for...

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 07:49:18 pm »

AFAIK, 2x2 hasn't got a guaranteed spire.
Since one spire is randomly placed in every 2x2 grid, you could well have:
o..o
o..o
where o is candy and . is no candy.
there is even a 2x3 without it.
But I know what you mean, remember the 13k candy map that was around here a while ago?
It had, as the name tells, 13k candy and 1k iron.
I think even without unleashing ‼FUN‼ you could still mine 10 k or so, AND it even had a fortress in the fortress, if you know what I mean.
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 08:07:15 pm »

You know, the cool kids just use adamantine to stud steel armour.

Not me, though, I was never cool.

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 08:18:13 pm »

Half of the candy i process ends up in strange moods anyway. Ofcourse, this isnt necessarily a bad thing, but still.

edit; misspelled candy.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 08:28:30 pm »

I equip my military first in whatever native material is available (usually copper, but I've had to resort to leather and bone because of a soil aquifer), slowly replacing it as better stuff becomes available. I rarely have enough candy for full armor sets, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5