Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Pfft, forget steel.  (Read 10167 times)

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pfft, forget steel.
« on: November 02, 2011, 10:15:25 pm »

Am I the only person who doesn't begin a military until you have sets of candy armor prepared? I just skip steel and iron and dig deep; If I use steel I make it after I have a 60+ legendary army and just think that those wearing steel are of a higher status. The best fighters (500+ kills) get to wear just iron armor. It makes sense somehow. And while I'm on topic, do you bother to use coal forges? I don't even start metal making until I hit *cough* Necro, if you read this, do your thing. *cough*

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: Pfft, forget steel.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:17:37 pm »

I got this. *ahem*

HASTUR NECRO, HASTUR NECRO, HASTUR NECRO MAGMA

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 10:26:02 pm »

MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
In cause you dident know if somethign requires this and I get to it before Necro I say it for him :P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:08:15 pm by BeforeLifer »
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:09:31 pm »

I'm more of a "grateful for what the land gives me(A.K.A. whatever the hell I can get my hands on)" type of guy. Although I rarely outfit my militia in anything lower grade than iron.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:18:02 pm »

Kitten leather armor, a single XXPig Tail Fibre SockXX, a wooden training axe, and a drunken stupor.  Know what that gets me?  5 dead dwarves and 1 skilled dwarf wearing a goblin breastplate!

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:30:19 pm »

I outfit my civilians in copper, and my military gets either iron or steel. Most of my maps don't have candy.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 11:32:44 pm »

I dress my military exclusively in the skin & bones of slain foes.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 11:35:07 pm »

My first fort had a lot of hematite and bituminous coal, so I straight away equipped my dwarves with a full suit of steel.

My last fort had only tetrahedrite, so I had to deal with making charcoal and copper armor.  The difference was quite dramatic (in the bad way), so I could see how someone might just rush for adamantine and start equipping their army with it as soon as possible.  Assuming you can get to it safely[ish], of course.

I wonder if the increase in fort value from no armor to straight adamantine might cause sieges to get out of hand though.  Is this actually tied directly to fort value, or is it a function of exporting?

I outfit my civilians in copper, and my military gets either iron or steel. Most of my maps don't have candy.

I wasn't even aware this was possible.  I was under the impression that all maps had adamantine veins?  Or was this a custom world gen?  I've only made 2 forts so far, so perhaps I'm just still too much of a noob.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 11:36:06 pm »

MAMGAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
In cause you dident know if somethign requires this and I get to it before Necro I say it for him :P

You're fired.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 11:41:49 pm »

You're fired.

I'm against arbitrary release of contract however spelling it "Mamga" is inexcusable.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 11:50:51 pm »

Am I the only person who doesn't begin a military until you have sets of candy armor prepared? I just skip steel and iron and dig deep; If I use steel I make it after I have a 60+ legendary army and just think that those wearing steel are of a higher status. The best fighters (500+ kills) get to wear just iron armor. It makes sense somehow. And while I'm on topic, do you bother to use coal forges? I don't even start metal making until I hit *cough* Necro, if you read this, do your thing. *cough*

I tend to get SRS BZNS when i find candy too, military prior to that is mostly marksdorfs.

Do not say the name of The Unspeakable One out loud lest you bring his wrath down on us all. I would have to break out the good weapons D:
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 12:21:19 am »

Candy spires occur per 2x2 embark.  If you take a 3x3 you're assured to find one, but a 2x2 can be missing a spire if you get all the wrong tiles.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 07:47:48 am »

I've had a >2x2 map with no tubes (just the one that I know about). I'm working on the theory that the 2x2 grid is set by biome and not by the 16x16 embark region, but I can't be bothered to test it. Or it could be a bug.

Are your civilians trained in Armour User? Copper is heavy. What copper items are they wearing?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 07:52:52 am »

I usually start arming my dwarves once their first Goblin Christmas has passed.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 08:06:57 am »

I normally leave candy alone, and just use steel/iron. Iron and steel seem more solid, more dorfy. Candy's bright color and light weight makes it seem almost... elven.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5