Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Goblin Artifact Weapon?!?!  (Read 4479 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Goblin Artifact Weapon?!?!
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 09:12:32 pm »

I recently had an olm man name one of his wooden spears.

That's too cool. What language did he use?

To be honest i don't know.  I can't find out anymore because i lost the save file.  Although he had it from the moment i found him so im pretty sure that i can find him again and that itll be an artifact again.  What makes it cooler is that apparently he had killed a forgotten beast with it.  How do i figure out what language it is?

WITH DIFFICULTY!!!!

[You'll usually be able to tell what it is just by the way it is spelt, but you could always check the language raws]

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 09:18:30 pm »

I recently had an olm man name one of his wooden spears.

That's too cool. What language did he use?

To be honest i don't know.  I can't find out anymore because i lost the save file.  Although he had it from the moment i found him so im pretty sure that i can find him again and that itll be an artifact again.  What makes it cooler is that apparently he had killed a forgotten beast with it.  How do i figure out what language it is?

WITH DIFFICULTY!!!!

[You'll usually be able to tell what it is just by the way it is spelt, but you could always check the language raws]

tell ya what.  Once i find the guy again ill upload a pic and you guys can decide XD (that won't be tonight...probably on the weekend lol)
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 10:30:27 pm »

if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Sigged.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 10:36:39 pm »

Other species do this too actually. When I first started my embark, and found the caves (it was the first level I believe), I noticed that near my cave break through, there was a group of about 8 or 9 batmen (all listed as "Friendly" by the way). I paid them little attention, sealed off the cave entrance, and continued on my merry way.

Later, after having gotten maybe 4 or 5 Forgotten Beast notifications, I noticed that one of those beasts had tangled with that group of bat folk. There were two left alive. Upon examination, I saw that one of them was carrying a named item. It was, I believe, a tower-cap spear, that had been named by the bat woman wielding it. Examning its kills showed that it was the spear that struck the fatal blow against the Forgotten Beast the group fought at some point.

Later in the game, another beast killed those two left over batties, and at the moment the spear is at the bottom of a cavern lake. I thought it was really cool but didn't realize of course, being fairly new to Dwarf Fortress, that this was such a special occurrence. I don't recall the spear's name at the moment, but if you all really want me to grab the details, I'd be happy to. I may even have an old save that I backed up of the batties before the spear was named, or perhaps while it's wielder was still alive, after having killed the Forgotten Beast they tangled with.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:45:46 pm by Walkaboutout »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 10:43:09 pm »

Soaplent green is goblins!

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 12:36:14 am »

I wonder why it is that he gets alert for the animal man's weapon naming, while I don't for the goblins (but I do for my own guys). Maybe it's because the goblins are invaders, and the animal man is friendly?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 03:29:59 am »

*ahem*
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52295.0

Just leaving this here.
Yeah, it took too long for this to be mentioned. The only thing notable is that semi-megabeasts and established civ members (i.e. goblins) can do this too. It's not announced anymore because that was the bug - infinite rename spam froze the game with a staccato of pause & recentres.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 06:32:42 am »

my olm man in hostile if that's of any interest to anyone
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 01:53:32 pm »

Nice discovery indeed, I shall start a project to try this out with other races.
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 07:17:41 pm »

I made a shocking discovery today. After some talk on a different post I read about training goblins to fight the HFS, I decided to try it out. So I locked thirty or so goblin thieves in a special danger room of weapon traps (as opposed to spear traps, because as enemies these work without all the hassle), and presto! the goblins hit legendary knifer in no time.

But that's not the surprising bit.
"Bogmeslu Snos Osm, Pineseason the Rampages of Distraction a Large Silver Dagger" appeared on my artifact list in blue after a few months. The goblin named his weapon! In Goblin!

I didn't get an announcement of any sort for it, in case you were wondering.
Has anyone else seen this happen before? What should I do with this dagger? Shame it's not a better weapon. It would be pretty cool to have, like, an ex-Goblin artifact steel longsword (I'm playing as humans for this fort) or something to use against them.

Currently 2 other forumites and myself are attempting to do this. Add yourself and now there's 4 of us :D

LEGENDARY GOBLIN ARMY MEME! ADVANCE!
Sadly, however, dwarfs refuse to make goblins fight for them. That's fairly disappointing, 'cause I could have a mining force of elves, a building force of humans, and a fighting force of the greenskins. Unfortunately, that's all considered [ETHIC:SLAVERY:UNTHINKABLE].

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 10:54:03 pm »

Sadly, however, dwarfs refuse to make goblins fight for them. That's fairly disappointing, 'cause I could have a mining force of elves, a building force of humans, and a fighting force of the greenskins. Unfortunately, that's all considered [ETHIC:SLAVERY:UNTHINKABLE].
Dwarfs might, but we don't.
Dwarfs also find TORTURE_FOR_FUN unthinkable, but since when has that stopped (or even slowed) anyone here?
Soaplent green is goblins!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 12:04:12 am »

Nah, you want a logging gang of elves. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 02:57:57 pm »

: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.
Pages: 1 [2]