Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Guess what feature creep will affect Release 2!  (Read 4930 times)

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guess what feature creep will affect Release 2!
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 03:56:14 pm »

I could imagine him applying a similar approach to caves as he does to rivers in world gen, perhaps a rework where it simulates a crack in the rock then erodes out a realistic cave. Not sure how good this would be for underground civs.

I'm actually not sure... most Real-life caves are pretty boring. Sure there are some amazing things out there, but they are few. Trying to orientate the simulation towards something Fantasy worthy without having a deep understanding of geology and the physics implied could take a really long time without any guarantee of a good result.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 06:31:12 am »

I'm pretty syre, this is suppose to be release two.

If you look on the dev page, 31.19 (Feb. 16th), was stated as being the first release, and thats when these more short term release cycle was first revealed.

Maybe 31.19 was release zero?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 08:41:02 am »

Yeah, Toady said somewhere that Release 1 on that page is the upcoming one.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 08:50:06 am »

I don't think the personality rewrite will get pushed forward, just because it's already scheduled. Do we have a quote for what exactly "Village schedules/activities" entails? The feature creep there will likely be related to the specifics- further dwarf mode skill implementation in adventure mode is the most likely candidate.
DF Talk 11 has a little bit on schedules, and I think that's also the one that said something about the potential of moving the personality rewrite to release 5.

If you look on the dev page, 31.19 (Feb. 16th), was stated as being the first release, and thats when these more short term release cycle was first revealed.
With the words "Short-term Goals (after upcoming release)". That upcoming release being 31.19 at the time we're on release 1.

Anyway...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anything > and less seems possible/required. Anything more is a just-for-fun addition.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 12:08:50 pm »

I don't think the personality rewrite will get pushed forward, just because it's already scheduled. Do we have a quote for what exactly "Village schedules/activities" entails? The feature creep there will likely be related to the specifics- further dwarf mode skill implementation in adventure mode is the most likely candidate.
DF Talk 11 has a little bit on schedules, and I think that's also the one that said something about the potential of moving the personality rewrite to release 5.

With the words "Short-term Goals (after upcoming release)". That upcoming release being 31.19 at the time we're on release 1.

Anyway...

Anything > and less seems possible/required. Anything more is a just-for-fun addition.

Adventurers already go to caverns.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 12:10:50 pm »

Maybe 31.19 was release zero?

Technically, what we'll be getting is only half of Release One, and .19 was the other half. As I recall, .19 was most of the "world gen economic activities" that towns/workshops/warehouses are based on.

Although looking at the dev page, I just remembered how much "low-hanging fruit" is on that page that are likely candidates for feature creep. For example, I could see villager schedules/activities leading to surface mines/wood camps ("wood use") leading to adventure mode constructions and adventure mode site creation. Or the class distinctions that are alluded to in Adventurer Role: Thief. Perhaps super excitingly, I could see the "Hauling Improvements" sneaking in if one of the villager activities is "haul crap."

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 01:50:57 pm »

They go to caves (or for the most part went, now they go to lairs, which are different again). That's a difference. Or perhaps you are referring to goblin/dwarf military strategists like generals, who aren't quite adventurers in the same sense (I'm referring to the likes of SCOUT, WANDERER, and BEAST_HUNTER).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 03:18:41 pm »

They go to caves (or for the most part went, now they go to lairs, which are different again). That's a difference. Or perhaps you are referring to goblin/dwarf military strategists like generals, who aren't quite adventurers in the same sense (I'm referring to the likes of SCOUT, WANDERER, and BEAST_HUNTER).

No, you can also go to these as an adventurer, especially after finding one by ticking the option to make them visible during world gen.

Only problem is they are very easy to get lost in.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 03:21:15 pm »

No, you can also go to these as an adventurer, especially after finding one by ticking the option to make them visible during world gen.

Only problem is they are very easy to get lost in.
But if you go there, you aren't a worldgen adventurer, you are a player adventurer.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 06:51:01 pm »

Oh herp derp, I missed that.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 04:17:28 pm »

I'm actually not sure... most Real-life caves are pretty boring. Sure there are some amazing things out there, but they are few. Trying to orientate the simulation towards something Fantasy worthy without having a deep understanding of geology and the physics implied could take a really long time without any guarantee of a good result.
There is 99,999% chance that cave will be 5m long hole in rock. But sometimes...
(google image search)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 01:03:26 pm »

I hope that the villager activities include implementation of music (wandering minstrels, buskers). This will lead to a Musician skill in Fort mode, which leads to a rewrite of fortress parties which is then expanded to multi-dwarf social interactions (jury trials, religious services).
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 01:09:34 pm »

I hope that the villager activities include implementation of music (wandering minstrels, buskers). This will lead to a Musician skill in Fort mode, which leads to a rewrite of fortress parties which is then expanded to multi-dwarf social interactions (jury trials, religious services).
According to DF Talk 12, music (and games) should find its way into the game in release 3 or 4.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 01:29:28 pm »

I think he's going to add various uses for poisons.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 01:40:38 pm »

It will be finishing the animals (though I thought he finished most of them already)

As he has to finish them ALL before Christmas or else he will let everyone who did the Animal Sponsorship down and make Little Timmy cry and send Oliver Twist to bed without supper.
Pages: 1 [2] 3