Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Happy Fun Stuff, the next update.  (Read 14142 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Happy Fun Stuff, the next update.
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 04:13:16 pm »

The problem with enemy diggers is if they destroy your engraved stone you can't fix that.  Constructed walls can't be engraved and "natural wall" can't be replaced.  (Barring obsidian, which has its own problems.)

Unless they don't destroy your walls at all.

Maybe have them build tunnels which have to be destroyed with the [q]
  • command? Which then leaves your beautiful stone walls unpolluted?

Evile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 04:16:31 pm »

!!!Hardcode burrowing\channeling\digging!!! Leave no wall unpolluted!

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 04:21:39 pm »

They are tyranid trygons. You know. 40k. Older than Dead Space by about 30 years. Don't make me educate you with a bolt round to the head.
First one is a trygon. Second is a mawloc.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 04:25:05 pm »

They are tyranid trygons. You know. 40k. Older than Dead Space by about 30 years. Don't make me educate you with a bolt round to the head.

Really? I thought it was a custom job Trygon. I AM EDUCATED!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 04:25:37 pm »

Really? I thought it was a custom job Trygon. I AM EDUCATED!

Trygon set can be made into a trygon, a trygon prime, or a mawloc.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 04:32:01 pm »

I really don't understand Aesthetics people dreading digging enemies. At present, do they dig out THE ENTIRE EMBARK SITE so everything is perfect? No, as I understand, they make a perfect FORTRESS and don't give much damn about the rest of the embark site. So really, this looks to me to boils down to "I don't want to have a military that can respond in a timely fashion to incoming diggers" or "I don't want to make my fort even grander by having anti-digger areas that are not officially my fort which can be sullied (or filled with magma)".

I assume detection of non-dwarves who are digging would give an announcement (e.g. "you have encountered wet stone") which you can then set init options to pause and centre on if this is extremely vital to you. So provided you are given fair warning that it's impending, I don't see why we need to shun digging enemies and neutrals.
That is my point, if the player doesn’t want something why make it a situation where you throw the baby out with the bath water and they have to disable invasion just so they don't have to deal with making parts of their fort they don't want to make, the fun of DF is the right to play as you see fit, railroading players to make "anti-omnipotent enemies areas" seems more like railroading.
I’m fine with digging enemies as long as there an OPTION not to have them.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 04:47:38 pm »

are those .. *GASP*

combined pickaxes / warhammers??  :D :D :D
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Virodhi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 04:48:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Have another burrowing gribbly.

Thanks, man. Now you have me craving a 40k conversion. Vampires? Pff...amateurs. We've got genestealers in this here fort!
Messing around with magma for the first time.  Still haven't produced a !!dorf!!, but I've discovered the wonders of not having to worry about fuel, i.e. SMELT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.  HEY URIST, BRING ME THAT KITTEN, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN SMELT THAT TOO.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2011, 04:50:37 pm »

Thanks, man. Now you have me craving a 40k conversion. Vampires? Pff...amateurs. We've got genestealers in this here fort!
Valikdu is making a tyranid pony add on for the My Little Fortress mod.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2011, 04:52:02 pm »

A genestealer cult growing down in the caverns, combined with the "Urist McButtfuck is missing" in the new update could add some rather scary atmosphere to the game...
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2011, 04:57:18 pm »

A genestealer cult growing down in the caverns, combined with the "Urist McButtfuck is missing" in the new update could add some rather scary atmosphere to the game...

THE NEW FACE OF
HORROR GAMING

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2011, 04:57:55 pm »

UristMcButtfuck sounds like a jeanstealer
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 04:59:24 pm »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2011, 05:10:54 pm »

The problem with enemy diggers is if they destroy your engraved stone you can't fix that.  Constructed walls can't be engraved and "natural wall" can't be replaced.  (Barring obsidian, which has its own problems.)
Hence my point that you should build a rough outer section such that diggers won't want to dig your engraved stone. Anyway, by the time we get digging enemies, chances are Toady will have figured out what he wants to do to make constructed wall engravings make sense. That's the only reason he's not doing it at present (and you know, all the pile of other stuff he wants to code) - he feels it's fair to have constructed walls be engraved but right now it doesn't make sense to him (see DF talks).

That is my point, if the player doesn’t want something why make it a situation where you throw the baby out with the bath water and they have to disable invasion just so they don't have to deal with making parts of their fort they don't want to make, the fun of DF is the right to play as you see fit, railroading players to make "anti-omnipotent enemies areas" seems more like railroading.
I’m fine with digging enemies as long as there an OPTION not to have them.
Chances are, if they don't want diggers period, then it'll be a raw modding job - just like aquifers. Ok yeah, I should have made that more explicit in my post - I automatically assume people are used to the idea of taking bits out of the raws, like knives for snatchers or maybe bows & crossbows for goblin invaders. Still, there will be people who insist on not touching the raws (or the advanced worldgen options) and among them there will still be people who don't want their Aesthetics destroyed.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2011, 08:36:39 pm »

He doesn't care about all the dwarves it might kill, but "Oh noes!! Not my pretty engravings!!!" ;)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5