Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deshori: indie game project  (Read 1219 times)

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
Deshori: indie game project
« on: November 02, 2011, 12:47:10 pm »

You wake up to the sight of a beautiful alien landscape after a group of terrorists attack your fleet. You've crash-landed, but were saved by the technology of your craft, sacrificing itself for your safe landing.

With no weapon you set out into the wilderness in search of civilization, hoping to rejoin your fleet and return to the war being fought galaxies away.

Thus begins Deshori, an exploration-based FPG.

Things are not entirely as they appear as you cross the seemingly calm desert.

Strange creatures, abandoned cities, violent nomads, giant monuments, and many other surprises await you along the way.

Present devlog

Some incredibly attention-grabbing video footage

An insightful image gallery

twirly gif:

Deshori is a game project being worked on by Derek Sneed and yours truly, with the intent of making an environment with some genuinely interesting AI, among other neat things. The idea of doing this without some kind of funding is pretty fantastic, so if you have a few dollars to spare you really ought to check out our kickstarter. For an $8 commitment you get the game, and the game would cost more than that when it's released, so you'd be getting a free wad of bucks out of shelling over money ordering our lovechild early.

Regardless of whether you love us enough to give us your money that you managed to scam your boss or allowance-paying parents out of, I believe this is going to be a wonderfully interesting experience of a game, and you should keep a look out for it. However, if there's any time when your contribution could directly mean the difference between a game existing and not, this is probably that time.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:41:25 pm by madk »

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deshori: indie game project
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 01:50:19 pm »

Quote from: One of your links
You wake up to the sight of a beautiful alien landscape after a group of terrorists attack your fleet. You've crash-landed, but were saved by the technology of your craft, sacrificing itself for your safe landing.

With no weapon you set out into the wilderness in search of civilization, hoping to rejoin your fleet and return to the war being fought galaxies away.

Thus begins Deshori, an exploration-based FPG.

Things are not entirely as they appear as you cross the seemingly calm desert.

Strange creatures, abandoned cities, violent nomads, giant monuments, and many other surprises await you along the way.

It sounds interesting, but you should have really lead on with this kind of stuff, rather than the devlog and bare bones footage! Add that in near the in for people interested in finding out more.

Anyway, your game sounds like a 3 D Notrium, which is no bad thing, by the way.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 02:21:22 pm »

The video is honestly unimpressive.  I'm all for development and tease, but you showed me purple hills, some swaying grass, and a few extremely blocky houses.  Far from "attention grabbing".  If anything, I'm reminded of Caster, a game I got on sale from Steam, which has almost identical graphics.

I'm sure you're proud of what you've done, but you don't have much to show for it.  It looks like you're ready to start showing though, hopefully got the framework for adding new things in place.  Spinning .gifs aren't very impressive either.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you're making a display and I'm less than impressed.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 03:17:57 pm »

I agree, it was definitely more rushed than it should have been but, alas, the mistakes have already been made. I'm hoping to pick up the slack. Much of the work already done has been on the technical side so it's quite difficult to show everything that's really interesting.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 03:50:35 pm »

Anyway, your game sounds like a 3 D Notrium, which is no bad thing, by the way.

Agreed. Notrium was pretty awesome though.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 06:02:59 pm »

I really love the art style. I hope to see more in the future.