Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Chronicle of Torchfancied  (Read 2348 times)

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
The Chronicle of Torchfancied
« on: November 02, 2011, 06:05:25 am »

1st Granite 201:
After a pleasant journey, we arrive at the designated site to carry out the orders of His Majesty Aban Ikthagtobul, King and High Sovereign of Nidostsarvesh. To bolster the waning fortunes of The Ferocious Furnaces, King Ikthagtobul sent scouts to every corner of Thur Niral to find suitable locations for a mountaintop fortress with two chief duties: become a new industrial powerhouse to replace the Mountainhome's sputtering mines, and stand firm against the tide of jealousy and anger it is sure to inspire.

I feel certain that we are the most fortunate of the colonization groups sent out. Our site is unique among all others considered: Two major peaks astride an uneven ridgeline formed with three other tops; salt marshes north of the ridge; sandy plains to the south that drop gently away to a brook. It's practically bursting with wealth - the initial survey listed several hundred Urist each of copper, hematite, galena, gold, and tetrahedrite ores, and as soon as we arrived we spotted veins of gold shining in sides of one peak!

The wealth isn't the most important factor, though. The key to our success is the hollowed hill between the major peaks. It was carved by a volcano, "The Cinder of Pim," that has since partly subsided into itself. The cinder may not be what it once was, but it still holds a powerful amount of magma, which we fully intend to harness.

We shall call it Litastnefek: "Torchfancied," in honor of the constant red glow along the cinder's hollow walls.

The only worry is that General Rulushrimtar refused to attach any qualified soldiers to our expedition. He even denied any of us the chance to train with the sergeant-at-arms before we left. The General actually mocked us, asking what harm we expected to befall us in benign grasslands before we might have the chance to strike the earth and erect a modest bailey. Easy for him to say when he's staying behind - if it turns out we're not the first to clue in to this site's obvious potential, we've only got the miners' copper picks and Iden's woodcutting axe to protect us. 
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
Re: The Chronicle of Torchfancied
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 06:50:15 am »

So, I've got this site:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For reference, North is to the top left of that picture; the line of mountains runs E-W.

Basic Description

Initial Plan

Here's Where I Need Your Help!
I have a plan for a sort of megaconstruction on the volcano tile, but it's all sub-surface work. I'm open for ideas on what to do with it aboveground.

What sort of construction could I do with the hollowed-out cinder? I'm thinking of building a glass skywalk over to the western peak, which will house nobles' rooms and a grand graveyard. The skywalk would have a statue gardenand artifacts as well as a view directly down into the magma pipe, and the nobles' rooms/graveyard would all have their outer walls replaced with clear glass (and maybe balconies) so that the occupants could gaze upon the volcanic majesty at their leisure.

Defense Plan & Other Features, FYI

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 08:58:26 am »

I'd vote for a sacrificial altar on top of the volcano that either contains a pitting zone where prisoners are sacrificed to the lava god, or a chamber with floor grates where prisoners are stripped and pitted in with a unique soldier with the title of "Priest(ess)" who wears all bone armor and uses either a dagger or a bone weapon to kill them and let their blood drip into the volcano.

Essentially I'd like to see the mountain not rebuilt, but rather shaped so that the pillars are holding up a large and/or suitably epic structure to be suspended above an active volcano. It would make the best of the "living rock" and minimize constructions so it's certainly dwarfy. Maybe, if you could somehow manage a pump stack, do an aqueduct and bath house with a statue garden. Nothing like a heated bath!
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 10:11:50 am »

Actually I just got inspired by the name. Torchfancied.

Torch, so I will make this rise from the cone.

Fancy, because it's going to be built out of copper, silver, gold, and whatever other alloys I'll need for proper shading.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:36:39 am »

Sounds amazing, bonus points if you have a magma pump stack and burning artifacts lighting up the torch. Keep us updated, and don't focus so hard on the megaproject that war grizzlies eat all your beardlings!

Yeah... I didn't know I was at war with the elves :(

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 10:52:45 am »

hmmm.  The magma pipe is 34 blocks wide, but there are only 42 z-layers from the top of the sky to the top of the magma. Scaling this will be interesting.

But you're right; first I should concentrate on keeping the dorfs safe, fed, and drunk.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 05:03:34 pm »

Put the dodge trap over a magma reservoir. You will kill them with kindness. Magma is kind.

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 10:32:43 pm »

I had a complete implementation of the dodge trap last time, with a magma reservoir to clean the floor and hatches to drain it away. I was even careful to make the floodgates one level up and the floor hatches one level below so that building destroyers wouldn't wreck my design and cause uncontrolled flooding.

So yeah, Goblin Christmas is going to come with a self-cleaning option just like my oven. But should it be within my defensive wall somewhere? I can't see any real reason why. If I put it outside the wall, I still have all my other lines of defense intact in case something makes it through, or the traps get jammed, or some other mishap. And while I have to let military and/or goblinite collectors onto the trap floor, the methods I use to isolate and airlock that access will work just as well outside as inside.

Is there any real reason for the dodge-trap pit to be placed inside my defensive wall?

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 09:49:04 am »

Yeah, I can't think of a reason why you'd need it inside your walls. Seeing as how your military may be your last line of defense the last thing you want is for them to pull a Leroy and engage the enemy on your dodge trap. Think of how many good dodgers you've lost to murky pools, then multiply by ‼‼

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 10:12:04 am »

Would you happen to be dorfing people? If so, i would like to be your mason
Name him Anderz.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 12:24:29 pm »

Sure, why not? Anderz the mason/architect/mechanic.

Between a packed weekend and potential turns in other succession forts I'm not likely to play any on this one til midweek next week, though.

Khenal

• Bay Watcher
  • Humble smelter, making music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 02:02:20 pm »

Perhaps my favorite defense that actually requires a volcano is the magma hammer.  Details are in someone's sig, but the basics are as follows:

1.) place winding pathway just over the level of the lava in the caldera.
2.) place water reservoir over caldera with defined leaking points.
3.) when foes come to say hello, start dripping water into the lava.  The new obsidian will be unsupported and cause a cave in, including dust.
4.) Laugh maniacally as invaders are forced off the winding path by dust.  Why let them dodge when you can force them to fly off?

I wish I could claim the idea as mine, but I can't. 
Slave traders occasionally bring feral ghouls for trade. I haven't decided if this is a bug or feature yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 02:21:56 pm »

Sure, why not? Anderz the mason/architect/mechanic.

Between a packed weekend and potential turns in other succession forts I'm not likely to play any on this one til midweek next week, though.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE??? ANDERZ WILL BE THE DOOM OF YOU!!!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 09:38:23 pm »

Loud whispers, way to ruin my reputation.
Where did you get that from?
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 05:00:27 pm »

Loud whispers, way to ruin my reputation.
Where did you get that from?

It's all !!FUN!!

:3
Pages: [1] 2