Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Help me out. It's easy.  (Read 2470 times)

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
Help me out. It's easy.
« on: November 01, 2011, 09:00:49 pm »

I just want to know. What, to you people, is freedom?
Add magma? Why the hell not?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Help me out. It's easy.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:02:45 pm »

Going to bed when I want and eating oreos for dinner!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 09:43:26 pm »

The ability to do something for no reason other than that it's what you wanted to do.

And Oreos for dinner.

You sure you're not looking for Life Advice or something?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 10:27:52 pm »

Living in such a way that I am not accountable to others for my social behavior.  That is - if I wanted I could make outside wearing a fluorescent purple jumpsuit and no one can do anything about it.  When the attitudes of others restrict your lifestyle, you've lost your freedoms.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 10:36:33 pm »

Philosophical freedom: allowing myself to do anything I am physically capable of doing.

Legal freedom: the right to do whatever I please, so long as I accept the consequences and don't infringe on the rights of others; as well as the right to refuse any request, with the same caveats.

True and complete freedom: omnipotence.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 10:46:24 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:20:23 am by Ogdibus »

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 10:49:25 pm »

The ability to do something for no reason other than that it's what you wanted to do.

And Oreos for dinner.

You sure you're not looking for Life Advice or something?

I'm sure im in the right place. I'm writing a poem about freedom and want to know others opinions about it.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 10:54:43 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:20:54 am by Ogdibus »

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 11:00:47 pm »

Well, I already put one poem on here and people enjoyed it so I'm doing more but I got a little stuck. Here's the like if your interested.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95573.0

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 11:09:57 pm »

Freedom is total control over your own actions. Including the freedom to restrict your own actions.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 12:08:13 am »

Absolute individual freedom would be the ability to make anyone do whatever you would will them to do.
However, it is not possible for two people to have Absolute freedom.
Social freedom would be the ability to determine your own actions without unwanted influence from others, lacking the ability to forceably change the actions of others.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 12:13:37 am »

The ability to do what I please as long as I am not harming another person or an animal.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 12:30:20 am »

Having the ability as an adult to live out my childhood fantasies or dreams (like owning or beating hundreds of video games) because I can afford to, or time found a way to make it cheaper and easier to achieve.

Being able to live like I used to back when I was young (within limits that doesn't make me come off as weird) regardless my current age, and also not coming off as a man-child while at it.

Freelancing and the awesomeness of calling out plenty of the shots, especially as my own employer, and not having to deal with any bullcrap inter-office politics or annoying customers (although there is the occasional client that doesn't know how to get to the point).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:36:55 am by Itnetlolor »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 12:42:44 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:21:29 am by Ogdibus »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 12:55:29 am »

Imagine, if you will, a man who has lived on a remote island for he's entire life, alone, far away from the touch of the world. It is a rich tropical island abundant with natural resources that he requires to survive, and he does not worry about starvation while at the same time having many spare hours to do as he pleases. When he wants to eat, he eats, when he wants to sleep, he sleeps. There is no other human to restrain him, and the only rules to abide by are he's own. He does as he pleases. One could argue that this man is free.

However, this would mean that freedom is ignorance, as this man is far from free. If he wanted to cross the ocean to visit some far off place, he could not. The ocean around him is a cage, stopping him from ever leaving he's small, isolated home. The only reason that he never seeks to visit a far off place is because he is unaware that such a place exists. I'm sure if a book with pictures of these locations washed up on he's shore, he may start to feel he's little island is more of a prison than a paradise.

So freedom is ignorance of the laws that restrain you. As long as you aren't aware that there are other options, you will feel free. Still, we seek understanding of our limits, not because we long to feel trapped, but because it is the only way we will ever find a way off our tiny island of ignorance, and enjoy the greater splendour that the world has to offer... Until he realise that gravity has become our cage now, and seek to free ourselves from that too.
Pages: [1] 2 3