Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Lake Michigan - Wisconsin's New Ashtray  (Read 6151 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Lake Michigan - Wisconsin's New Ashtray
« on: November 01, 2011, 08:25:33 pm »

Today, a land collapse at a coal power plant in Oak Creek, Wisconsin has dumped a small hill's worth of coal slurry into Lake Michigan.  Like similar spills in Tennessee and elsewhere, this means untold amounts of arsenic, mercury, carbon compounds, and God knows what else is now floating in one of America's largest sources of fresh water.  The company has in the last couple hours put some floating line around the spill to try to contain it and is negotiating with private contractors on a clean up.

Ironically enough, it was just two weeks ago that the House of Representatives passed a bill that would remove most of the EPA's authority to control coal ash dumps, found in acres at every older coal power plant in the country, and leave responsibility both for containment and cleaning to the states.  It hasn't passed the Senate (that I know of), and I can't imagine that it will, it just provides at awkward counterpoint.  Interestingly enough, Oak Creek is in Wisconsin's 1st District, represented by none other than Paul Ryan, Republican golden child champion of privatizing Medicare and Social Security and basically eliminating every government program and department he can name.

Anyway, that's your news for the day.  Since I used to live on Lake Michigan, and I kinda have a thing about chemical spills, I'm watching this one pretty closely.  Here we go again.

Quote from: Representative Paul Ryan
If we don't make tough decisions today our children are going to have to make much, much tougher decisions tomorrow.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Lake Michigan - Wisconsin's New Ashtray
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:31:22 pm »

Y wincousin you dickholes, I like my water clean.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 08:34:23 pm »

Dagnabbit Wisconsin why you doo thiiiiis?

My home state seems to be developing a nasty habit of accidentally-ing huge amounts of nasty stuff into fresh water. Then again, can you really do anything about a land collapse?

Retaining wall? Anyway, I, in all my free-market glory, recommend making the idiots that put a dump next to a massive lake and then don't make sure it can't spill pay to clean up that massive lake since it was their own fault.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 08:35:55 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:16:58 am by Ogdibus »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 08:37:27 pm »

Indeed.  I'm no architect or civil engineer, but looking at that picture of the spill, it seems to me that four stories up and fifty yards from the water line is a bad place to pile up your toxic coal sludge, without anything that looks like a wall.  Maybe put it behind the plant instead of next to it?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:40:34 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:17:07 am by Ogdibus »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:41:31 pm »

Yeah. It's shit like this that gives capitalism a bad wrap. If they were actually thinking about long term profit they would have considered the possibility of this and then put it somewhere else, at a slightly higher cost, without running the risk of having to pay for cleaning up something like this. Instead they go 'Aw, fuck it! We'll just run this for 10 years, take the profits, then sell it off and laugh at the poor bastard that buys it.'

Maybe the did it as a fire precaution?, but still, you have a really good point.

I don't think any of that is flammable, but I'm not sure.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:43:51 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:17:14 am by Ogdibus »

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:57:44 pm »

Well that's disconcerning, considering I live in Michigan.

Why people are so abhorent to nuclear power when this crap happens I'll never understand

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 09:22:08 pm »

Why people are so abhorent to nuclear power when this crap happens I'll never understand
Because NUCLEAR RADIATION POISONING CHERNOBYL OMG AAH

Basically, they bow down in fear at the power of the mighty atom of which they know naught.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 10:09:08 pm »

Damn, my grandmother has her house on Lake Michigan. Haven't swam in the lake in years but now....well, good info to know, at any rate.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 10:09:42 pm »

Besides, radiation helps you live longer and gives you cool abilities.
Everything I need to know about nuclear physics I learned from Fallout.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 10:22:11 pm »

Being a person who switches between living in Minnesota and Wisconsin, I am very very pissed about this. WHY IN GODS NAME WOULD YOU DUMP A LARGE HILL OF FUCKING ASH INTO A LAKE, WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU EXPECT IS GOING TO HAPPEN? EVEN IF YOUR TRYING TO CUT COSTS, THE PUBLIC IS GOING TO FUCKING RAGE AT THIS.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 10:55:40 pm »

Because NUCLEAR RADIATION POISONING CHERNOBYL OMG AAH

Basically, they bow down in fear at the power of the mighty atom of which they know naught.
Coal emissions produce more radioactivity by far than fission plants. The odds of Chernobyl happening again [EMPHASIS]WHEN A FACILITY IS PROPERLY BUILT[/EMPHASIS] is next to nothing. Fusion plants, once we break 100% efficiency (nearing it now), will have zero chance of blowing up at all. Meanwhile, in Wisconsin...

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 11:00:50 pm »

I don't know what to say. Things like these make me feel very hopeless and give-up-ish.
Love, scriver~
Pages: [1] 2 3 4