Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you think Danger Rooms are a legitimate training method?

Yes
- 125 (55.1%)
No
- 102 (44.9%)

Total Members Voted: 227

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Vote Legitimacy - Danger Rooms  (Read 5348 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Vote Legitimacy - Danger Rooms
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 12:23:05 pm »

I voted yes as well. They are certainly legitimate, but as I probably said before, they make things much less fun.

It's just not as fulfilling as having a soldier reach legendary dodger after years of rolling into obstacles on the battlefield, or a legendary shield user after he's lost half his limbs learning to use that shield properly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2011, 12:32:23 pm »

I will say that danger room users need an asterisk on their reports.  Bragging about your one soldier who killed a whole goblin siege is a lot less impressive when he's been in a danger room for 5 years.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2011, 12:34:46 pm »

They are legitimate but exploity as fuck. And terribly boring.

I believe this concensus has been reached many times before.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2011, 12:36:56 pm »

I will say that danger room users need an asterisk on their reports.  Bragging about your one soldier who killed a whole goblin siege is a lot less impressive when he's been in a danger room for 5 years.

Ha ha brilliant idea

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2011, 03:13:07 pm »

I have made a danger room only once. it featured  dorfs dodging ground from a semi high fall because i wanted my dorfs use some fancy golden crutches

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2011, 03:38:37 pm »

When i was first starting in Dwarf Fortress i thought that Danger Rooms were unrealistic.

Now i see them as more reasonable and less of an exploit because they are in real life.

If you have seen the movie Kung Fu Panda 1 and seen the training room and rooms similar to that in real life IT IS A DANGER ROOM! :D

But just because it is in real life does not make it balanced in the game, so what does everyone think?

Um, I'm not sure how to break this to you, but Kung Fu Panda isn't Real Life

In real life, Panda's don't become Kung Fu Masters in training rooms like that. In real life, a student spends years and years training, practicing and sparring to become a "Kung Fu Master". Pandas generally take even longer, because bamboo really isn't very nutritious, so they have to spend a lot of time eating, which cuts into training time.

I've never heard of any martial art or military force in real life that relies on a room full of blunt wooden sticks poking out of the floor as a primary training method. Or even a supplemental one. Or even anything remotely similar. This sort of thing only works in a movie.

They're a useful crutch to help out new players, though. It's hard to learn how to move troops around if they keep dying, so having some instant soldiers to work with can be helpful. It's kind of an "easy mode" that people should grow out of as they learn the game.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2011, 03:48:28 pm »

When i was first starting in Dwarf Fortress i thought that Danger Rooms were unrealistic.

Now i see them as more reasonable and less of an exploit because they are in real life.

If you have seen the movie Kung Fu Panda 1 and seen the training room and rooms similar to that in real life IT IS A DANGER ROOM! :D

But just because it is in real life does not make it balanced in the game, so what does everyone think?

In real life, Panda's don't become Kung Fu Masters in training rooms like that. In real life, a student spends years and years training, practicing and sparring to become a "Kung Fu Master". Pandas generally take even longer, because bamboo really isn't very nutritious, so they have to spend a lot of time eating, which cuts into training time.

I've never heard of any martial art or military force in real life that relies on a room full of blunt wooden sticks poking out of the floor as a primary training method. Or even a supplemental one. Or even anything remotely similar. This sort of thing only works in a movie.

They're a useful crutch to help out new players, though. It's hard to learn how to move troops around if they keep dying, so having some instant soldiers to work with can be helpful. It's kind of an "easy mode" that people should grow out of as they learn the game.

Quote from: China
We'll be leaving now.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2011, 04:18:14 pm »

We'll be leaving now.

... I'm gonna go with Abraham Lincoln on this one and not trust quotes from the internet. Seems like China would have better things to do than frequent a forum focused on communistic living arrangements, human rights violations, animal cruelty and the rape of the Earth
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2011, 04:25:40 pm »

We were actually talking about the danger room trained soldiers. But we know when we're not wanted :'(

Aw man you scared china away:[

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2011, 04:29:41 pm »

@Shinotsa: Well, yeah, that's what China.com/forums is for! :P

On topic: I have read a lot of different fiction where danger rooms have been used, such as the Warhammer 40k universe, and I'm not sure but it's quite possible similiar things have been used IRL. I know I've seen atleast one movie set in medieval times involving a warrior or similiar running a gauntlet of jabbing wooden spikes, swinging blocks and other such obstacles to win a prize.
Obviously that would be designed to test and improve the skills of a seasoned warrior/dodger, but the principle could easily be changed to suit training recruits.

Gamewise though? I've never used them, and sparring and live combat should really be far better for training weapon skills, although I can see why a danger room, a room filled with wooden spikes jabbing from all directions, would be good to train dodging! :) Overall I voted yes, obviously.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2011, 04:44:18 pm »

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2011, 05:10:40 pm »

still getting mine rigged up.. the elephant shaft is working, and seems to be doing it's part.. sadly, while the mechanic was trying to rig up the mehcanism to the ajacent tile.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2011, 05:30:51 pm »

wow the voting is almost even O_o
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2011, 05:44:28 pm »

I think the concept of danger rooms are fine - but not the DF application

I'd like to think that dwarven spear traps are dynamic objects that jab a spear out of any possible spot on the wall to train your reflexes, but their capable rate of fire and how they only take up one tile of space suggests to me that they are as simple as spikes poking out of predictable holes on the ground.

If dwarven danger rooms were mechanical monstrosities where there were dynamic weapon strikes and inference into where the soldier was weakest then I'd be perfectly fine with the idea of danger rooms, considering they train at a slightly slower rate, and do eventually have a skill cap. 150 mechanisms, 15 assorted weapons, loads of time and requirement of skilled workers would be pretty nice. Not a dabbling mechanic/carpenter and a few chunks of rock and logs.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2011, 05:46:28 pm »

I think the concept of danger rooms are fine - but not the DF application

I'd like to think that dwarven spear traps are dynamic objects that jab a spear out of any possible spot on the wall to train your reflexes, but their capable rate of fire and how they only take up one tile of space suggests to me that they are as simple as spikes poking out of predictable holes on the ground.

If dwarven danger rooms were mechanical monstrosities where there were dynamic weapon strikes and inference into where the soldier was weakest then I'd be perfectly fine with the idea of danger rooms, considering they train at a slightly slower rate, and do eventually have a skill cap. 150 mechanisms, 15 assorted weapons, loads of time and requirement of skilled workers would be pretty nice. Not a dabbling mechanic/carpenter and a few chunks of rock and logs.

You saying dwarven traps are predictable?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6