Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you think Danger Rooms are a legitimate training method?

Yes
- 125 (55.1%)
No
- 102 (44.9%)

Total Members Voted: 227

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Vote Legitimacy - Danger Rooms  (Read 5358 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Vote Legitimacy - Danger Rooms
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 11:10:39 pm »

OK people, we get it, It's your own game. This thread isn't about saying with absolute certainty that danger rooms are/are not legitimate, it's asking the members of the community their personal opinions about them. You don't need to remind everyone that they're in charge of their own game every time someone says they don't prefer to use one.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 11:54:57 pm »

I personally use danger rooms, but less than a 15th of my 186 dwarf population has used it. And to use it, you must EARN your right to use it.

Namely, throw on some cheap leather armor and wrestle a troll to death. I wonder how the actual dialogue between the armorer and the trainee would go...
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 11:58:12 pm »

I reckon it would be better to somehow negate dwarfs from gaining experience from any trap attack and instead make a piece of furniture that can be placed in a barracks that requires a few training weapons and mechanisms, but functions as a slower training room to give dwarfs an alternative method of training while they're not able to do any other training.

This might be over-complicating it though. From what I've read danger rooms are simply a bit OP.

Never used one, mind. Probably won't.
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 12:20:40 am »

Legitimate? Yes. Just ask the X-Men.

Problem is that enemies are too weak. This must be corrected. Modding their size is a great place to start, but having tags to force them to wear more armor also helps, although this means even civilians will have it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 12:52:58 am »

I agree that vanilla enemies are a bit weak.  When you've modded in a bronze colossus civ, then come complain about danger rooms ^^

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 02:47:41 am »

i will set up a danger room, but only with 1 spear and not have it on all year round.
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 03:22:30 am »

It makes no sense that just standing around in the danger room is hundreds of times more efficient than actual training, while posing absolutely no threat (except to children, oops  :o).

Whether they're dodging (presumably blunted) wooden training spears or real ones made out of steel changes nothing about the skill actually being trained: dodging. One might grant that there being actual danger involved would make them take the exercise more seriously and thus train harder, but it's still basically the same thing. And if you look at the logs you'll see how they're blocking and dodging, and not "just standing around".

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 04:00:30 am »

I voted yes, since difficulty is a lot more than having a danger room or not:

- Will you defend migrants and caravans?
- Is your fortress entrance open?
- Are caverns open?
- Kind of embark?
- Goals of your fortress?
- How many traps?
- Mods?
- Grinder/magma vs enemies?

Depending on your answers, the difficulty may hard enough for most even with a danger room.

edit: but if the question was: is the danger room a too good answer to a few serious issues? Then I would answer yes.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 04:04:58 am by humblegar »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 07:20:43 am »

Danger rooms seem legit, realistic and are sure ways to train dwarves quickly.

too quickly if you ask me, and not everything realistic should be implemented in the game. Maybe upping the lethality of them would dissuade danger rooms, or you know, just not use them to train your dwarves. Works for me.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 08:08:28 am »

I understand that most people are thinking of "danger rooms" as rooms where random attacks come at your dwarves from random places. But unless you have a use your great imaginations there's just a blunt stick set in the floor repeatedly trying to jab your dwarves in their tender bits. That's my reasoning why it doesn't make sense to give combat experience past a certain point. Sure you can block/dodge a stick set to hit your crotch at regular intervals, but I'm not sure how much that training would help you in battle anywhere outside of a middle school.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 08:22:37 am »

I understand that most people are thinking of "danger rooms" as rooms where random attacks come at your dwarves from random places. But unless you have a use your great imaginations there's just a blunt stick set in the floor repeatedly trying to jab your dwarves in their tender bits.

1. You can use up to 10 spikes or sticks, as you would have it, per trap.
2. Trap effectiveness depends on the quality of the mechanisms used.

Based on those premises, I don't think picturing spike traps as something more advanced and effective is unreasonable or indicative of an overactive imagination.

Disclaimer: I have yet to use conventional danger rooms (having modded out wooden training weapons and used silver spears and wooden spikes instead, I got injuries after as little as a few repetitions), so for all I know they are unreasonably effective. They shouldn't come out legendary dodgers and shield users after a couple of days, and if that's how it works then it's hardly reasonable. But I think the overall concept is sound.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 08:32:33 am »

It would be fairly simple to make danger rooms more risky.

Change the stats of training spears so that they remain the same except that 1/10000 attacks they inflict 100 times the damage.
A dwarf who is already legendary+5 dodger/shield user/etc would be fine but you'd be almost certain to lose say 10% of all fresh recruits put into the danger room unless they're in full candy plate.   

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 08:54:47 am »

I think danger rooms should train up dodging and blocking and more kinetic skills but stuff like weapon skills needs to come from use of the weapon. It'd be good if training was a little more effective. As it is it seems pretty ineffectual.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 10:14:06 am »

I send them in unarmed but armoured. It is like the OP stated, like the cliché machinarium of great dodging. The thing the untrained would get big eyes from and say: "I'll never master THIS!".
It is however to quick to master, because I employ a triggerpuller and not - as was suggested here - a repeating mechanism. I don't know how to make one (maybe a pressure plate in the chicken room?)

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2011, 12:15:38 pm »

If danger rooms are ever nerfed, a lot of people will have to learn how to train a militia without them. Of course, the same could be said of traps.

Given the high degree of modability, however, there will always be ways of making the game easier.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6