Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cuts  (Read 1271 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cuts
« on: November 01, 2011, 05:00:59 pm »

For some reason, I tend to get cuts on the ends of my fingers, above the nail, really really frequently. These cuts then often get infected, and hurt for a few weeks. Obviously I can use antiseptics to help with the infection, but does anyone have any idea why I might be getting the cuts in the first place?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Cuts
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:02:12 pm »

Sounds like your skin isn't getting thick enough before being injured again. Wear gloves for a week?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:02:36 pm »

For some reason, I tend to get cuts on the ends of my fingers, above the nail, really really frequently. These cuts then often get infected, and hurt for a few weeks. Obviously I can use antiseptics to help with the infection, but does anyone have any idea why I might be getting the cuts in the first place?

Do you handle a lot of paperwork?  I tend to get little papercuts on my fingers all the time without noticing till the next day.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 05:03:23 pm »

They're not paper cuts. The skin somehow gets peeled back, or at least that's the best way I can describe it.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 05:21:04 pm »

Your cuticles are crap, I'll blame your diet, eat better and apply superglue to them, it'll keep them from being open.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 05:33:01 pm »

My suggestion, and I really don't mean this as an insult, would be to ask a doctor and not an internet forum.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 06:58:31 pm »

the hole geting infected and pain is the reason to see a doctor.
work with sheatmetal? that gets my hands cut up.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 07:06:09 pm »

work with sheatmetal? that gets my hands cut up.

That was my first thought. I used to get tons of micro-fine cuts along my fingers when I was working with that type of stuff. Just gripping a semi-sharp metal edge with your fingers will do it. I used to come home looking at my fingers going "wtf is this?!" all the time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 07:09:44 pm »

Both aspects of this are weird. A healthy person shouldn't be getting skin tears near their cuticles like that, but some kind of occupational/lifestyle hazard could cause that. The weirder part, to me, is that they get infected so often.

Are you sure they're getting infected?

But yes, I'd actually go see a doctor about this.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 07:14:33 pm »

The weirder part, to me, is that they get infected so often.
Agreed. I get small cuts and scrapes on my hands all the time as I work with sharp things all day but I have never gotten an infection bad enough to notice. At the end of the day I wash my hands and maybe dab some antibiotic ointment on the worst cuts, usually not. I don't even bandage them.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 07:19:40 pm »

Also regarding the infections: This might sound stupid, but make sure your hygiene is okay. Not trying to imply anything, but washing your hands when appropriate is pretty important. Oh, and maybe wipe down your keyboard with alcohol or something every once in a while, because keyboards are gross. That's probably not it, but I have no idea what it could be.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 03:07:29 am »

Well, I think I know what you mean. You get these cuts around the base of the nails, I guess? Because I get that too, a lot. Never infected, though, but frequently... Inflamed, I guess you can say? Swollen and red, that is.

Anyway, if you want help to deal with them, the only advice I can give you is to cover them up. I often unawaredly start rubbing these sores, which only makes them worse of course, and fingertips gets a lot of wear during the day anyway that you never notice. They can stay for a long tine if I leave them open, but just a simple bandaid over the fingertip usually makes them heal up over the day or the next.

As for how you get them, it's worst for me during the winter (when it can happen several fingers a week if I don't take care) when I don't wear gloves, so it's obviously related to the cold someway. Most likely, I guess, it has to do with the nail-bands getting dry, then stretched, and then they break. Kind of like lips tend to do in cold weather for some people as well. So maybe you could try using some sort of moistening cream on your fingers or something? Also check what kind of soap you're using, that might be part of what's drying them out.
Love, scriver~

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 11:40:25 am »

PROTIP: Don't clean out the hair from the shaving razor with your fingers after use.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 06:25:00 am »

PROTIP: Don't clean out the hair from the shaving razor with your fingers after use.

You're doing it wrong. Brush it backwards on a solid piece of your body (ie, shin, thigh, shoulder, chest( ie NOT stomach, ass, anywhere fatty)), then wash it in hot water.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 02:24:50 pm »

You're doing it wrong. Brush it backwards on a solid piece of your body (ie, shin, thigh, shoulder, chest( ie NOT stomach, ass, anywhere fatty)), then wash it in hot water.

Yeah I used to do that with my fingers, and still got the mysterious cuts. I eventually decided only to use the razor-3 or wossname, because it allows the water to wash thru with nothing but pressure.