Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Deeply Atmospheric Games  (Read 4761 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Deeply Atmospheric Games
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 04:46:17 pm »

How does SH3 compare to SH5? 3 is $9.99, and I'm tempted, and 5 is $29.99, and I'm not so tempted. Is 5 really a seismic shift forward in gameplay? Because 3 kind of sounds more enticing TBH.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 04:50:16 pm »

How does SH3 compare to SH5? 3 is $9.99, and I'm tempted, and 5 is $29.99, and I'm not so tempted. Is 5 really a seismic shift forward in gameplay? Because 3 kind of sounds more enticing TBH.
Some would say that 5 is a shift backward, due to the lessened freedom (there's some kind of campaign, and you have a crew with actual personalities.) They're not necessarily right, but it doesn't really warrant spending extra money for in my opinion. SH4 was certainly quite good imo but it was the first one I played so that may obscure my judgement.
I think SH3 is definitely worth $10 though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 04:54:44 pm »

Yeah, the whole "dynamic campaign" of 3 sounded far more interesting than the schpiel for 5. Bear in mind though, I don't think I've played a SH game since the Nintendo :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 06:11:52 pm »

5 Days A Stranger, 7 Days A Skeptic, ect. They're not "BOO!" type horror games, but they are creepy as hell and very atmospheric.

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 06:12:01 pm »

The Hunt!
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10444.0

That was pretty immersive. Almost as good as Amnesia... couldn't finish it though, I got to the red-fog bit and then something startled me and my hand pressed the Esc key somehow. :P

Saints Row 2 is one of the most immersive and overall fun games I've ever played, though it's 3rd-person. Mount & Blade: Warband is fantastic too, and that has a first-person mode, although it's not recommended that you spend a whole lot of time using it.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 06:20:35 pm »

Saints Row 2 is one of the most immersive and overall fun games I've ever played, though it's 3rd-person. Mount & Blade: Warband is fantastic too, and that has a first-person mode, although it's not recommended that you spend a whole lot of time using it.

Funny, I never go into third person mode because I find it makes controlling your character more difficult.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 10:08:24 pm »

Funny, I never go into third person mode because I find it makes controlling your character more difficult.

Same, Especially with ranged weapons.

KatalDT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 10:54:34 pm »

I find it useful for melee combat when there are a lot of enemies around... it simulates situational awareness, since you can't glance left and right easily while fighting in the middle of a big brawl.

But yeah, for horseback... ranged... and situations that don't call for it, first person all the way.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2011, 12:19:37 am »

System Shock 2. Had to stop playing before I found the first enemy from how scared I was ;)
Oh god, that game.
I still can hear "We Are" in my head, thinking of the enemies.

YoUr soNG Is not ooOUuURs
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2011, 04:17:45 am »

5 Days A Stranger, 7 Days A Skeptic, ect. They're not "BOO!" type horror games, but they are creepy as hell and very atmospheric.

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/
While atmospheric, they are not first person. I think that was one of the conditions.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2011, 10:56:44 am »

I found The Void extremely atmospheric and utterly fascinating, but it was marred by the fact that if you spend too much time actually exploring and enjoying the atmosphere the game can easily become unwinnable without telling you...

That actually sort of ruined it for me. I became so stressed out that I'd mess up and make it so I couldn't see the whole game that I never finished playing it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]