Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Deeply Atmospheric Games  (Read 4786 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Deeply Atmospheric Games
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 06:07:53 pm »

I will add Metro 2033

EDIT: I want to second Mafia 2, WAAAAY too short and totally linear but what was there was very cool feeling. They could have done so much more with this by making the world live and breathe, but still totally atmospheric. When it changed to winter in the 40's i got all Christmasy feeling, pretty cool.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:10:04 pm by ductape »
I got nothing

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 06:15:07 pm »

If we're just talking games with good atmosphere/immersion:

Penumbra
Alone in the Dark
Planescape
Bioshock
Half Life
Aliens vs Predator (the newest one)
Minecraft, when you're deep in a mining tunnel and you can hear a zombie nearby and you're walking catiously and HOLY FUCK A TINY SPIDER IS EATING MY LIVER OH GOD ITS-creepersplosion- *you have died*
Heh, yeah, I wish I liked horror games, alot of them have great atmospheres. Might look into AvP, doubt I'll ever play Planescape, I've recently been trying to play Bauldur's Gate 2 and I just can't get into it.
let me be the odd duck and recommend Arma 2. It's first person and immersive. Lots of things going about their own agenda. All of this is moot if you can't auto-correct the awful(read AWFUL) voice/dialogue. It's an immersive sim.
I LOVE Arma 2, my old computer could never run it well and I completely forgot about the game after I upgraded, thanks for reminding me.
Mafia 2 had a great feeling of the world about it, especially watching the seasons changing to winter and the whole world adjusting to the weather. Just being in the world was more fun than playing the game.
Weather is one of my favourite things in games and I always feel its never used as much as it should be. Will definitely look into this, another game I forgot about after I upgraded.
Fpp with good immersion you say ?

Deus Ex - First one would be the best choice
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - I don't know why this game got nearly no attention, it's just great.
Loved both, I have DM of MnM siting on my desk right now, actually.
I will add Metro 2033

EDIT: I want to second Mafia 2, WAAAAY too short and totally linear but what was there was very cool feeling. They could have done so much more with this by making the world live and breathe, but still totally atmospheric. When it changed to winter in the 40's i got all Christmasy feeling, pretty cool.
In the process of playing Metro actually, I got it a few weeks ago when it went on sale, I love it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 06:25:21 pm »

Return to Zork

There... one

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 09:22:58 am »

System Shock 2. Had to stop playing before I found the first enemy from how scared I was ;)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 09:27:25 am »

System Shock 2. Had to stop playing before I found the first enemy from how scared I was ;)
Oh god, that game.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 09:31:58 am »

I have had number one or two forabouta yearend never played it

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 09:34:14 am »

Uplink
Darwinia
Limbo
The Void (probably more so than any other IMO)
The Path
Vampire: The Masquerade
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 09:34:18 am »

I found the Void to be the only game so intensly atmospheric and involving that It touched me personally.

Assassins creed however might be enjoyable for a casual gamer for its atmospheric gameplay.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 10:30:27 am »

Uplink
It isn't exactly atmospheric, but a great game nonetheless. Still, it does have a unique malleable atmosphere. Seriously, play Uplink. Now.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 10:44:20 am »

Uplink
It isn't exactly atmospheric, but a great game nonetheless. Still, it does have a unique malleable atmosphere. Seriously, play Uplink. Now.
Oh, when you're new to hacking in that game (when you first play it), and you get your first tracings; especially when you can't estimate how long it'll take them as well at first. That's panic-inducing.

After a good while, and accruing enough funds, you can also become a total dick in that game, and just ruin lives thoroughly. Of course, if you have someone pursuing your server, you'd best have that thing primed to self-destruct.

Believe it or not, you can actually play the stock market in that game as well, so you can invest in your clients and boost your income. But robbing banks is much quicker.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:46:30 am by Itnetlolor »

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 10:52:15 am »

Uplink
Oh, when you're new to hacking in that game (when you first play it), and you get your first tracings; especially when you can't estimate how long it'll take them as well at first. That's panic-inducing.

After a good while, and accruing enough funds, you can also become a total dick in that game, and just ruin lives thoroughly. Of course, if you have someone pursuing your server, you'd best have that thing primed to self-destruct.

Believe it or not, you can actually play the stock market in that game as well, so you can invest in your clients and boost your income. But robbing banks is much quicker.
I know, I've played 30ish hours of it (according to Steam). BTW, invest in Arumor and choose the evil side of the story.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 11:10:21 am »

I thought stalker SOC was pretty good.  Esp modded where you gotta eat and sleep and stuff.  It's cool to have to camp out somewhere safe and sleep or just wait in the dark and hope the sun rises soon..

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 12:48:42 pm »

For my part, Bioshock is one of the most atmospheric games I've played ever. It has a story turn or two that were just bloody brilliant. Bioshock 2 was comparatively disappointing.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 12:52:27 pm »

The game that provided the best non-horror atmosphere for me was Morrowind: it has the backstory, graphics and music that suck you into it. The graphics are fine, with mods they can get even more atmospheric. Don't expect this from Oblivion, though I can't say it doesn't have any atmosphere at all.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 01:07:27 pm »

STALKER call of pripyat
Half-life 2
half-life 2 episode 1
half-life 2 episode 2
Metro 2033 (oh, wait, it was already mentioned! *headsplosion*)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4