Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Deeply Atmospheric Games  (Read 4769 times)

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deeply Atmospheric Games
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 11:17:13 pm »

Alright, looks like I'll be playing Bioshock then, and then maybe mod STALKER, haven't played it like that before. Thanks guys.
The game that provided the best non-horror atmosphere for me was Morrowind: it has the backstory, graphics and music that suck you into it. The graphics are fine, with mods they can get even more atmospheric. Don't expect this from Oblivion, though I can't say it doesn't have any atmosphere at all.
I've tried to get into Morrowind again (I used to play it back when it first came out) but the surprising lack of mods compared to other games (Couldn't remove physic guards nor could I find a mod that added hungry/thirst/tiredness) put me off playing it again. I really wish I could combine Oblivion and Morrowind. If I could take just a few things from Oblivion and add it to Morrowind I'd be set for ages.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 12:35:02 am »

The STALKER games definitely do something good with their ambient worlds - weather, wildlife, etc. The alarm for emissions in Call of Pripyat (with Complete Edition) and everyone running off to cover is pretty great, although I wish it was slightly less common so my gaming isn't interrupted QUITE so often by having to cower in a hole, bored.

Skyrim is looking like it has a few really nice touches - like the way people seem to work now in town, chopping lumber, smelting ore, etc, and moving on through stages of production, just looks a lot better. The UI is jarring though. First mod I'll look for definitely.

eeviac

• Bay Watcher
  • Seven
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 12:44:25 am »

Bioshock is a watered-down System Shock 2. The former, a decent game. The latter, easily one of the top 10 games I've ever played. I'm told Bioshock 2 is just a poor rehashing of the original. Unfortunately, pretty much the only way to get SS2 these days is through pirating/abandonware, unless you trust buying overpriced used PC CD-ROMS online.

Metroid Prime totally fits this bill too, but it's not PC unless you're willing to stretch :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:47:37 am by eeviac »

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 12:52:10 am »

X-Com UFO Defense is pretty atmospheric.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 12:52:54 am »

X-Com UFO Defense is pretty atmospheric.

His other condition was first person.

I know plenty of atmospheric 2nd and 3rd person games. It just isn't part of this topic.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:54:59 am by Neonivek »

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 12:53:24 am »

I would give you SS 2 but I wanna play it now...after opening the plastic cover after years of it sittring there.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 02:22:13 am »

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - I don't know why this game got nearly no attention, it's just great.
I, for one, hated it dearly because it was a surprising insult to almost the entire Might and Magic line (1-5 & 6-8, 9 being a mess) that Ubisoft bought the rights to. The fact that the normal game disk includes "professional malware" was yet another insult.
 Speaking of Might & Magic 6, I would consider that a fairly atmospheric game, if old, and if only because of the music and writing. Although, now that I think about it from that angle, there are a lot of details small and large that exist entirely for atmosphere; detailed/animated images for small, unexplorable houses and stores, voices and expressions for the party members, seemingly useless places you eventually realize purposes to, NPCs willing to talk about what interests them rather than what the "average player" would be interested in... No where near (modded) Morrowind as far as scale, total effort, and resources go, but they certainly did a good job with what they had.

The game that provided the best non-horror atmosphere for me was Morrowind: it has the backstory, graphics and music that suck you into it. The graphics are fine, with mods they can get even more atmospheric. Don't expect this from Oblivion, though I can't say it doesn't have any atmosphere at all.
I've tried to get into Morrowind again (I used to play it back when it first came out) but the surprising lack of mods compared to other games (Couldn't remove physic guards nor could I find a mod that added hungry/thirst/tiredness) put me off playing it again. I really wish I could combine Oblivion and Morrowind. If I could take just a few things from Oblivion and add it to Morrowind I'd be set for ages.
How long ago were you looking for mods? Because I've stumbled across several mods that fix guards in various ways (it's great to see archers on the battlements taking down things chasing you), and several mods that add life functions of different realism levels (I don't think there's one yet that requires a balanced diet, though). Then, of course, there are many mods made by those coming from Oblivion which tweak the world to be more familiar to such. I could collect a proper list, if you'd like?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 04:55:59 am »

It was a while ago, I don't remember exactly, its one of those games I install every few months. I had a few different minor issues with it last time I seriously got back into it, and while I appreciate the offer, the mood to mod comes and goes with me, and I don't feel like working on getting it perfect just now.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 11:05:43 am »

System Shock 2. Had to stop playing before I found the first enemy from how scared I was ;)
Oh god, that game.
I still can hear "We Are" in my head, thinking of the enemies.

Bioshock is a watered-down System Shock 2. The former, a decent game. The latter, easily one of the top 10 games I've ever played. I'm told Bioshock 2 is just a poor rehashing of the original. Unfortunately, pretty much the only way to get SS2 these days is through pirating/abandonware, unless you trust buying overpriced used PC CD-ROMS online.
Don't forget that there's an awesome collection mod which adds tons of tweaks, fixes and up-scaled textures and sounds. It should be easily found on the web.
Bioshock was just an "elven retreat" compared to SS2. SS2 was the "fun circus".
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 11:47:55 am »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 01:08:59 pm »

If you have the original halflife try the mod "They hunger".
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 02:34:08 pm »

The Hunt!
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10444.0

For a minute I thought you meant The Hunter. That game has great atmosphere too. I've never really managed to get a kill outside the tutorial but I've had fun running around the island environment they created, watching birds and rodents and stuff scurry away from me, listening for the calls of deer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 02:40:46 pm »

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines oozes atmosphere from pretty much every orifice.

Same story with Assassin's Creed games. The games themselves may lean toward casual, but the atmosphere doesn't. Hands down the best "from the street level" presentation of medieval and renaissance I've played.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 03:01:43 pm »

Silent Hunter 3 is quite immersive, if you get what I mean.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 03:50:47 pm »

Silent Hunter 3 is quite immersive, if you get what I mean.

Puns aside. Goddamn that game gets tense. Just looking around, first person, seeing my crew cower, as we hear every so often PING PING PING of sonar homing in on us. Then the Depth Charges OH GOD THE DEPTH CHARGES MAKE IT STOP! I've actually tried to pull a Das Boot by hiding on the seafloor.. Lets just say Davy Jones was wiping my chunks off his locker door at that point.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4