Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Carnivores please answer.  (Read 1747 times)

Ockad

• Bay Watcher
  • Take a look at my fine wares!
    • View Profile
Carnivores please answer.
« on: November 01, 2011, 02:48:13 pm »

Hi. I admit that my dwarves are vegetarians, and only eat plants. An issue has arisen though.
Whenever a tame horse or whatever dies, it leaves a corpse, right?

Now, my question is, how can I extract the meat from the corpse?

Thank you.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Carnivores please answer.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:53:24 pm »

Unfortunately, tame animals that die of any cause other than being slaughtered at the butchers workshop itself can't be butchered.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Ockad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 02:54:58 pm »

But, isn't that a huge waste? AAAAAAAAAAWWW NO.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:11:06 pm »

You could always have 'em tossed off a mountain when you get bored. That's kind of fun.

Ockad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:12:51 pm »

I might have a use for the corpses, as a toy for the lonely beards. Moisty dark caverns can be lonely sometimes.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 03:47:19 pm »

Unfortunately, tame animals that die of any cause other than being slaughtered at the butchers workshop itself can't be butchered.

Just want to point out that this is, in fact, a bug, and with any luck it will be fixed at some point in the future.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 04:45:52 pm »

The line between "bug" and "feature" is rather blurred in many places on DF. I try not to assume.

But yes, if you don't plan on using the animals otherwise, you're better off just slaughtering them. Wait until they're adults, though; you'll get a lot more by-products.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 04:52:05 pm »

Just want to point out that this is, in fact, a bug, and with any luck it will be fixed at some point in the future.
A bug? In real life, do people butcher dead animals for eating? I hope not *sick*

Or am I thinking "Interview with the Vampire"?  :-\
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 06:31:00 pm »

Recently-deceased animals? Sure. Just cook it a bit, and you won't know the difference. In real-world medieval times, a peasant wouldn't turn up his nose at a bit of meat just because it died an hour before being butchered; if anything, he'd cook it a minute longer. Back then, people were tough, people weren't squeamish, and above all, people were hungry.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 06:54:41 pm »

Recently-deceased animals? Sure. Just cook it a bit, and you won't know the difference. In real-world medieval times, a peasant wouldn't turn up his nose at a bit of meat just because it died an hour before being butchered; if anything, he'd cook it a minute longer. Back then, people were tough, people weren't squeamish, and above all, people were hungry.

Well it might be generalizing a bit much to presume the attitude of the entire human race, but yeah. Was a much different time.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 07:08:27 pm »

A bug? In real life, do people butcher dead animals for eating? I hope not *sick*
Most people do. There's a Japanese delicacy that involves dipping a live fish into hot oil and then serving it up while it's still gasping, but most cultures wait for things to stop moving first.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 08:15:55 pm »

Most people do. There's a Japanese delicacy that involves dipping a live fish into hot oil and then serving it up while it's still gasping, but most cultures aren't as insane as a dickhole piercing.

Fixed that for ya.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 04:22:24 pm »

Most people do. There's a Japanese delicacy that involves dipping a live fish into hot oil and then serving it up while it's still gasping, but most cultures wait for things to stop moving first.

Now now. The chinese do things like that too .. and aren't you supposed to eat oysters while they are still alive? and lobsters in restaurants. pick it out and they cook it alive and serve it to you on the fly. Have they always stopped moving completely when they're on the plate? Taken basically straight out of the aquarium.

I remember reading in Salvador Dalis biography. One of his favourite dishes was one where he would eat small birds and crush their heads between his teeth .. he greatly enjoyed the crunching but I think they were dead. He mentioned though that the french had a dish where they took the feathers of a large bird (a duck? i don't remember) and cut it open with precision and intent to keep it alive. then they stuffed it and cooked it in what can only be described as elaborate torture with the sole purpose of keeping the bird alive for as long as possible... this would enhance the taste I guess.

Now Salvador Dali was pretty damn crazy and he might very well have made it all up. On the chance that he didn't, though, the practice is most definitely banned now because the entire world is composed of goddamn elves.
 Swedish government even has problems with me using live bait for fishing. Damn hippies.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 04:32:18 pm »

you'd be shocked, disgusted, horrified, and wracked with guilt if you saw the kind of wicked things that go on with our food.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 12:57:57 pm »

Aspgren, could it be this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortolan_Bunting. That's also terrible torture just for the sake of gastronomy.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster
Pages: [1] 2