Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: OMG tallow!  (Read 1778 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: OMG tallow!
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 07:23:00 pm »

Tallow? Finally! My subjects were starvin'!
BISCUITS FOR EVERYONE!

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 12:31:33 pm »

If my fortress has several dozen or more dwarves they will use soap as fast as I make it (with just one soap workshop). They get happen thoughts from having taken a soapy bath. When the amount of tallow starts getting out of hand, I start cooking it.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 04:39:08 pm »

I sell tallow. or atomsmash it.

My dwarves have no need for hygiene.

edit: or proper meals
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 06:29:43 pm »

a sold loads of the stuff to the elfs, meat too as my fort was hunting at the time.
i wonder if buying an Elephant and cooking it will cover the cost of buying it?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 06:43:48 pm »

Absolutely. Even food with a 1x value modifier can be cooked and sold back to the caravan for a profit.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 04:03:32 pm »

Absolutely. Even food with a 1x value modifier can be cooked and sold back to the caravan for a profit.

Except that elves don't buy meat.. if you take their pets and make biscuits out of them they are going to be offended.

Yeah I know right? Weird.
I have an art blog now.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 04:09:14 pm »

Except that elves don't buy meat.. if you take their pets and make biscuits out of them they are going to be offended.

Wrong. Though in the past elves would freak out if you offered animal products to them, ever since the DF 2010 update elves will only freak out about wood-based products and are perfectly ok with animal-based things.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 04:26:49 pm »

Wrong. Though in the past elves would freak out if you offered animal products to them, ever since the DF 2010 update elves will only freak out about wood-based products and are perfectly ok with animal-based things.

Really? Wow I have to admit that they're starting to grow on me then!
I have an art blog now.
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 06:59:59 pm »

Really? Wow I have to admit that they're starting to grow on me then!
just remember that theyre trying to corner the market on wooden crafts, having a wagon full of wooden stuff and then saying cutting trees is a sin...? hypocrite much?
Caravan in depot = Broker is on break/sleeping/eating/drink.
Caravan leaves =  Broker has no job.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 10:52:55 pm »

F**k this water in lye bucket bug I can't make soap!
just churn out about 20 buckets and put em in a stockpile near the workshop.
always fixes my issues.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 03:06:34 am »

I allow my dwarves to cook all the tallow except the dog tallow. The dog tallow is used for soap.

This is notable because I currently am in possession, in my current fort, of over 300 dog tallow. Explosive breeders doesn't even begin to cover it.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 04:48:21 am »

After a Red dragon attack, a wyvern attack and a FB attack my "Other" food is 5000.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 07:48:52 am »

cooks

My cook whose work feeds 85 is free like 51 weeks in the year (or 47 in the DF calendar), so I'm wondering why anyone would ever need more than one.

To answer the OP's question: after a while I dump most of it. And this is despite making soap every once in a while.
Pages: 1 [2]