Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Accurate, orderly dating system  (Read 10568 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Accurate, orderly dating system
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 08:00:29 am »

Randomized? That's not orderly. Just start counting each era in Hexadecimal.

Year 42, Era 8F would be followed by either Year 43, Era 8F, or Year 1, Era 90.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2011, 08:06:02 am »

Randomized? That's not orderly. Just start counting each era in Hexadecimal.

Year 42, Era 8F would be followed by either Year 43, Era 8F, or Year 1, Era 90.

Years in hexadecimal, too. So year F of era 8F would be followed by year 1 era 90.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2011, 10:28:11 am »

In Australia (i.e. where Dsarker and I are) seasons start on the first of the month- i only learned that Americans (and the rest of the world?) do it differently a couple of months ago.
Well, as far as I'm concerned, UK does it differently.  (Either on the astronomically relevant quarter-points, or straddling them.  Or just "when things start to grow, it's spring; when leaves start to fall it's autumn".)

Anyway, from what I know of Australia[1], you have the Hot Season, followed by the Hot Season, the Hot Season and the Hot Season, right?  Or was one/all of those officially the Shark Season? :)

Anyway, I thought I read the OP saying there was a problem about seasons not matching month-starts, so I was really going down the route of changing the month-starts to hit the seasons-change-overs.  All the rest was just other minor adjustments needing to be made so that the original making-sense still makes sense (years don't drift, etc).

[1] Need I say that I'm deliberately and disingenuously forgetting most of what I actually know about Australia in favour of what 'everyone knows' about Australia?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2011, 10:33:57 am »

Spring has a lot more to do with temperature than daylight.
What happens if (as has happened, here in the UK) snow falls on June 1st?  "Sorry, forget that we already have spring, this year we have to have it again, shortly, when the temperature rises again."

You can't rely on annual climatic variations, but celestial mechanics are (for the foreseeable future, and when it goes wrong things like that will probably not matter much to us, in the grand schemes of things) constant and regular and so on.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2011, 02:00:08 pm »

Year will start in what is now December, which will be renamed January. New Year will be on January 1st, Christmas will be on January 25th, and so on. Month two will be February, which will be the name of what is now January. Following that will come March, which will have 28 days (and 29 each leap year). What is now June will be renamed to September so as to retain the Fourth of July on its actual date. Other holidays of the like (Not merely holidays that take a date, ones which are synonymous with a particular date. I have no familiarity with any besides the 4th of July) will be checked too. August will be kept on its current month as it is not an ordinal month. What is now September will be December, followed by Undecember, followed by Duodecember.
If this names derived from numeral prefixes of a dead language bother you so, then instead of doing all that acrobatics you could just have the beginning of the year set to the 1st of March? As an added bonus you'll have a sensible explanation for February being the leap year.

But anyway, it's all terribly arbitrary and inconsistent. You're having a problem with names derived from numerals, yet you don't mind names derived from names of Roman gods. And that's despite both kinds not representing their original meaning anymore.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2011, 05:25:33 pm »

Year will start in what is now December, which will be renamed January. New Year will be on January 1st, Christmas will be on January 25th, and so on. Month two will be February, which will be the name of what is now January. Following that will come March, which will have 28 days (and 29 each leap year). What is now June will be renamed to September so as to retain the Fourth of July on its actual date. Other holidays of the like (Not merely holidays that take a date, ones which are synonymous with a particular date. I have no familiarity with any besides the 4th of July) will be checked too. August will be kept on its current month as it is not an ordinal month. What is now September will be December, followed by Undecember, followed by Duodecember.
If this names derived from numeral prefixes of a dead language bother you so, then instead of doing all that acrobatics you could just have the beginning of the year set to the 1st of March? As an added bonus you'll have a sensible explanation for February being the leap year.

But anyway, it's all terribly arbitrary and inconsistent. You're having a problem with names derived from numerals, yet you don't mind names derived from names of Roman gods. And that's despite both kinds not representing their original meaning anymore.
Never said I had a problem with names derived from numerals, as long as they were the RIGHT numerals.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2011, 05:43:24 pm »

Anyway, from what I know of Australia[1], you have the Hot Season, followed by the Hot Season, the Hot Season and the Hot Season, right?  Or was one/all of those officially the Shark Season? :)
From what I hear it gets really hot around Christmas, which is why Santa wears shorts and those festive bikini's are suddenly appropriate.

Although I have never experienced this first hand.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2011, 05:49:27 pm »

From what I hear it gets really hot around Christmas, which is why Santa wears shorts and those festive bikini's are suddenly appropriate.

Although I have never experienced this first hand.

Canberra goes from 109 degrees Fahrenheit to 5 degrees Fahrenheit.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2011, 06:49:25 pm »

Never said I had a problem with names derived from numerals, as long as they were the RIGHT numerals.
What I meant is that those are not English numerals, and so the discrepancy is not really that much in-your-face. When you say 'November' it doesn't automatically trigger association with 'nine'. One needs at least a rudimentary knowledge of Latin prefixes to notice there's something amiss.
My point is, it's just a cultural quirk that the ninth month of the year is called September while the fifth is called May. Neither of these words carry their original meaning in English, meaning which itself is not immediatelly obvious and requires some dabbling in etymology.
People don't get confused by this in everyday life. Nobody would teach their children names of the months by association with their numeral meaning, because they'd have to teach them some Latin first.
Campaigning for a change that would 'make sense' of some of the months is just an academic arrogance of the "Look, *I* know what these mean, and you should all change to tickle my feeling of superiority" kind.
And as I said earlier, it's still inconsistent. You say the numbers are wrong, why don't you complain that the gods are wrong too?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2011, 06:57:25 am »

why don't you complain that the gods are wrong too?
Because the gods don't take criticism well.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2011, 07:42:52 am »

why don't you complain that the gods are wrong too?
Because the gods don't take criticism well.
Especially if your roof isn't lightning proof.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2011, 08:27:40 am »

But what about old Julius and Augustus? No point in them having months, is it? We should rename them after the two first emperors in our current empires instead.
Love, scriver~

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 09:47:46 am »

because Julius and Augustus are ascended gods, don'tcha know?
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2011, 11:05:35 am »

Seriously though...a date like "10 Sixthmonth" is either incredibly lazy or it comes off feeling like "Oldthink month 'June' is doubleplus ungood crimethink."
Here in Bosnia it's more common to call the months by their number than by their name. To the point that I have to stop and think when somebody gives me a date in the day number - month name format (yes, day should come before month).
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2011, 11:40:16 am »

But what about old Julius and Augustus? No point in them having months, is it? We should rename them after the two first emperors in our current empires instead.

Happy 4th of Putinary!  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6