Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Accurate, orderly dating system  (Read 10560 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Accurate, orderly dating system
« on: November 01, 2011, 01:16:42 pm »

Our problem: usual spread is four seasons over twelve months. Seasons are not months 1-3,4-6,7-9,10-12. Besides that, month names are not correct (September isn't the seventh month, October isn't eighth, etc.).

Solution: New month system.

Year will start in what is now December, which will be renamed January. New Year will be on January 1st, Christmas will be on January 25th, and so on. Month two will be February, which will be the name of what is now January. Following that will come March, which will have 28 days (and 29 each leap year). What is now June will be renamed to September so as to retain the Fourth of July on its actual date. Other holidays of the like (Not merely holidays that take a date, ones which are synonymous with a particular date. I have no familiarity with any besides the 4th of July) will be checked too. August will be kept on its current month as it is not an ordinal month. What is now September will be December, followed by Undecember, followed by Duodecember.

These, of course, may be changed into the vernacular.

This leaves the Gregorian calendar as it should be.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:32:04 pm by Dsarker »
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Accurate, orderly dating system
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 01:22:01 pm »

I was expecting a spambot advertising an online dating service. I am disappoint.

Also, major calendar changes are usually epic fail. There's a reason the French don't call today Salsifis, 11 Brumaire.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 01:22:57 pm »

World Calendar? When did the Middle East become a part of outer space?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 01:24:16 pm »

Too bad. This is the way it must be.

Also...

What are you referring to here?
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 01:26:20 pm »

Probably the fact that The Islamic claendar doesnt match the Gregorain one... nor does the Jewish, or IIRC the Chinese/eastern. Dont get me started on Julian dates...

French revolutionary decimal time failed.
This is a blank sig.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 01:26:54 pm »

I suggest making new month names, so the people that grew up with the old system don't mix it up.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 01:27:36 pm »

Indeed. They're probably more correct than ours. We're merely bringing ours back up to standard.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 01:29:25 pm »

Also...

That the Jewish and Islamic Calendars (among others) are totally different than the Gregorian one you're looking to reform.

Today (1 Nov 2011) is 4 Dhu al-Hijjah 1432 in the Islamic calendar, 4 Heshvan 5772 in the Jewish calendar, and 10 Aban 1390 in the Persian calendar.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 01:30:10 pm »

I suggest making new month names, so the people that grew up with the old system don't mix it up.

Well, yes. The names will be put into the vernacular equivalents when possible.

So you'd have January - Month of Year-start in English.
February - Month of Cleaning
Etc.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 01:30:54 pm »

Also...

While the Middle East uses the Gregorian calendar to keep track of the official date, festivities are generally linked to the Islamic Calendar. Iran and the Kurds also use the Persian Calendar instead of the Gregorian and Ethiopia (I know, not in the middle east) uses it's own calendar as well.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 01:34:55 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:13:33 am by Ogdibus »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 01:40:04 pm »

I don't see the point. It's not as if the names not matching the numbering matters in any way. For most people the names doesn't have any meaning except refering to the months-as-they-are-now.

Also if we're going to change the start time of the year it should be moved to March, first month of spring. Well, in Europe at least.
Love, scriver~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 01:44:57 pm »

Indeed. They're probably more correct than ours. We're merely bringing ours back up to standard.

Depends on what you mean by "correct". Many of the other calendars (including the Islamic and Jewish ones) are lunar calendars, so months "drift" a bit over the years, just like certain lunar-derived holidays in the Gregorian calendar like Easter.

Besides, going to a bloodless, culture-less mathematically perfect calendar sounds like something out a Orwellian dystopia.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 01:51:14 pm »

It would be impossible for it to be cultureless, as it would be a result of our culture. That's like saying going from old-timey feet, thumbs and hugs to metric was a "bloodless, culture-less" and Orwellian move.
Love, scriver~

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 01:56:14 pm »

The calendar is fine, yes the last time it was changed they ignored the roman's start month and moved the numerated months out of proper context, yes the changing of the year being at certain differing times would be very confusing and frankly it doesn't really matter, everyone's birthday is their new year, celebrate new years every day, time is just a separation of before and now and later, making it into little parts does let you do stuff with it, but its never even and so standardizing it is stupid, you think time matters? not very much, it was originally just to tell how much work you could get done before you couldn't see anymore and the first watch was made to keep track of an emperor's love life, and calenders were to prophesize stuff like rain and snow and to make sacrifices.

Calenders are annoying, but leave them as they are.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6