Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: Mount and Blade: The Third Age Mod [Steam Users Possible Solution]  (Read 93147 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade: The Third Age Mod [Steam Users Possible Solution]
« Reply #255 on: November 30, 2011, 10:34:42 am »

Who wants to bet that the response to the feedback that dismounted wargs are better than mounted wargs will be to...nerf dismounted wargs?  :P
Don't see how. only been on the receiving side and they haven't been many but they barely hurt. But they disrupted ranks and drew fire from more important targets allowing more orcs to reach my people.
0_o seriously? I've had wargs win a fight all by themselves. Had 8 Lothlorien elves (including myself) against 8 Moria warg riders. Through judicious head shots, we killed all the warg riders. The wargs themselves however, were more or less impervious to arrows and proceeded to stomp all over us, moving too fast for our puny swords to do much against. Eventually they knocked all 8 of us unconscious and we had only managed to kill half the wargs.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2011, 12:07:39 pm »

Thats not very strange considering this is M&B and cavalry > infantry. The issue is that warg riders are crap and isengard/moria/mordor/gundabad would be majorly screwed if wargs weren't able to fight for themselves. It fits the lore too, altough in the lore warg riders never wasted time throwing low damage darts and either used spears or long scimitars, but everytime warg riders are mentioned, they aways talk about how what makes warg riders fearsome isn't their armor or weapons but the wargs themselves.

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 30, 2011, 04:15:08 pm »

Thats not very strange considering this is M&B and cavalry > infantry. The issue is that warg riders are crap and isengard/moria/mordor/gundabad would be majorly screwed if wargs weren't able to fight for themselves. It fits the lore too, altough in the lore warg riders never wasted time throwing low damage darts and either used spears or long scimitars, but everytime warg riders are mentioned, they aways talk about how what makes warg riders fearsome isn't their armor or weapons but the wargs themselves.
Hence why warg riders should actually make use of the ferocity of the wargs instead of acting like khergits without any damage or skill.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 30, 2011, 04:23:53 pm »

Massed, experienced archers + small, agile cavalry force = WIN. Be it elven veterans and some Rohirrim skirmishers, or fell orc archers and a pack of wargs. The archers can mow down unshielded infantry at a terrifying rate, and if they carry shields, the cavalry (led by the player) darts around their flanks and rear, causing them to turn around and expose their backs to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune a million zillion archers.

Haven't tested it yet, but I'm betting it would work pretty well for Dale forces as well. My eventual goal in my newest game is to have a strong core of Galadhrim archers and a pack of mounted Noldorin archers, and just PEWPEWARROWZ everything to death.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2011, 02:41:08 pm »

Uh so, I've been playing this for a while and some sieges seem to be broken. Isengard keeps sieging west emnet over and over but it never amounts to anything, and I'm unable to provoke a siege by myself. The only time I took part in one was when I helped defend a gundabad outpost against mirkwood.

Wat do?
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 01, 2011, 02:46:46 pm »

Uh so, I've been playing this for a while and some sieges seem to be broken. Isengard keeps sieging west emnet over and over but it never amounts to anything, and I'm unable to provoke a siege by myself. The only time I took part in one was when I helped defend a gundabad outpost against mirkwood.

Wat do?
You can't provoke a siege yourself at all in the mod, but you can join in on a siege once the AI does. Just be sure to join in when you see that the battle starts, though it's also possible that the siege force is constantly distracted by random enemies and as a result never sieges the actual keep, in which case you should probably try to ensure that they don't get distracted.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2011, 02:49:23 pm »

Players cannot initiate sieges at this time. Supposedly that may be addressed in a future patch.

As to the Isengard sieges, my guess is that they keep withdrawing to go chase after some passing batch of Rohirrim, who wind up leading them all over the map. It's not inherently broken, because in my Gondor game they've burnt Westfold, West-Emnet and East-Emnet to the ground.

Conversely, good job defending a Gundabad outpost. They're usually nigh-indefensible because of the layout. I helped the armies of Erebor and Mirkwood overrun ALL the Gundabad outposts, and it wasn't even a contest. Both Rhun and Mt. Gundabad are on the verge of collapse, with Dol Guldur and Moria not far behind. Then the armies of the North will hopefully sweep across the South like a vengeful tide (because Gondor and Rohan are getting their asses kicked).

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2011, 03:52:03 pm »

Gundabad is the most annoying. What would be nice would be the ability to create warbands to patrol areas so that you don't have to do so.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2011, 04:00:48 pm »

Gundabad is the most annoying. What would be nice would be the ability to create warbands to patrol areas so that you don't have to do so.
You pretty nearly can. For one, you can give troops to patrols easily, and secondly you create patrols occasionally with those 'dispatch a scouting party' missions. You can add more troops to the scouting parties, I'm pretty sure as many as you want.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2011, 04:10:27 pm »

You pretty nearly can. For one, you can give troops to patrols easily, and secondly you create patrols occasionally with those 'dispatch a scouting party' missions. You can add more troops to the scouting parties, I'm pretty sure as many as you want.
True....you could turn a "scouting party" into a patrol/war party just by dumping a bunch of troops into it. With the benefit that while patrols move around a friendly target, "scouting parties" move around enemy targets.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2011, 04:31:21 pm »

Has anyone tried using the influence based lords to scout and patrol around enemy areas before?  If so, how long to they stick around and is it worth the influence cost?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2011, 04:37:49 pm »

It's kinda random. Sometimes they'll stick around for ages, sometimes they'll be called off to "campaign" inside the main city (aka party time with the king) after a day. I think it just has them do it until the AI decides they should be doing something else, which can be a few hours or weeks.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2011, 04:56:55 pm »

I never give my troops to anyone. I figure they'll be better used if I go out and butcher some enemy troops myself. Orcs have a tendency to get steamrolled in AI fights.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2011, 04:59:59 pm »

There's also a pathfinding/map bug that causes a ton of units (Rohirrim caravans mostly) to get stuck on a spot near Aldburg, where the Entwash flows east.  :-\

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2011, 08:14:04 pm »

There is another pathfinding sinkhole near Dale. I thought I had screenshot it but apparently not, oops.

Also, this was a Dale lord which meant that King Brand was stuck waiting for him to arrive to begin a campaign.

Eventually Dale cleared out the Northern Rhun camp though, so either he became unstuck or was ignored by the King. (my save was corrupted somehow in that game and the previous save was a good fifty days and many rescues of dogpiled lords previous)

Anyone else using RCM? Makes the orcs a lot better. With the battlesize changer set higher they can swarm much better too it seems. Usually my troops end up enveloped forward, rear, and both flanks and get chopped up.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:19:17 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19