Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: Mount and Blade: The Third Age Mod [Steam Users Possible Solution]  (Read 93167 times)

MadVader

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade: The Third Age Mod [Steam Users Possible Solution]
« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2011, 04:25:02 am »

As a TLD dev, I can say we are aware of item stats imbalances - those are being sorted out thanks to the player feedback like the one in this thread. Expect TLD to improve in future patches and minor releases.
All info about the game, including performance tips, can be found at our main forum: http://mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php/board,20.0.html
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 11:19:04 am by MadVader »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2011, 07:12:05 pm »

Good to see the devs still put alot of work in the mod, its easily the best mod I've ever played, I'm just nitpicking on some things I consider issues :P

Anyway, orcs seem to have a way to counter the elven menace: wargs.

Since orc riders spend way too much time being silly and throwing darts, tell them dismount once the fight starts, then tell them to mount again so the warg's invisible rider takes control of it, then order them to charge. When used on the melee, wargs cause massive chaos among the enemy infantry ranks, allowing your infantry to actualy close in and swarm them. I beat King Thrandill's host of 120 elves with an army of 85 orcs this way, with roughly half of my orcs being warg riders of some sort :P

I still did most of the job anyway, getting about 30 kills by myself.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2011, 07:32:25 pm »

That's something that shouldn't be needed, though. If you're relying on flavour mechanics to have any success...
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2011, 07:45:57 pm »

There are 2 counters to elves that I have found while playing with an elven archer army.

1.  Out numbering their arrows.  After my elves deplete their arrows they start taking losses.

2. Calvary disruption.  Once the Calvary hit the archers, they pull out their daggers, which are considerably less dangerous than their bows.  This can give your heavy infantry the time needed to close the distances.  Uruk Hai can be devastating to elven archers if they can ever make it past their kill zone, and with sufficient numbers to overwhelm them one by one.

Your calvary can get slaughtered charging into a hail of arrows, so you need to have a critical mass of horses and armors for this to be effective.

Most shields will get knocked off long before their bearer makes it to the elves.  If the elves are spread out, the closer to their line the attacker gets, the more likely they will get shot from the side, bypassing the shield.

Shields at long distance might help with the outnumber their arrows strategy.  Also small amounts of cavalry running around just at range can help expend their arrows
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 28, 2011, 07:50:48 pm »

That's something that shouldn't be needed, though. If you're relying on flavour mechanics to have any success...

Shouldn't be needed? There's a way that the player should play the game?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 28, 2011, 07:53:50 pm »

@Vactor: Yea, thats why wargs are so good for it. While they're slower then horses, any upgraded warg rider comes with an armored warg, and since warg riders are aways orcs you train them en masse. Nevermind the fact they do some nice charge damage. To compensate for this, they sorta suck against other cavalry.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2011, 08:04:21 pm »

Shouldn't be needed? There's a way that the player should play the game?

Yes. The player should be able to play the game such that multiple strategies (preferably ones that make sense in the flavour) can bring victory, not simply gaming the system.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 29, 2011, 03:07:09 am »

What do you mean by gaming the system :-\? Surely not everything should bring about victory, to which I would say "so long as there's one path to victory".

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 29, 2011, 03:09:04 am »

Yes, yes. But battles shouldn't be you winning by relying on stuff like the wargs being better when 'unmounted'.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 29, 2011, 03:18:36 am »

... why not?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 29, 2011, 03:21:02 am »

Because, in this example, you are losing none of your force even if you do take 'casualties'.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 29, 2011, 03:28:15 am »

But you're not really taking casualties, you're just telling your warg riders to dismount.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 29, 2011, 03:36:30 am »

And then those wargs ride out and are killed or wounded.

Battle an hour later.

Hey, all those wargs are back, in the thick of health!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2011, 07:33:37 am »

Flare imagine ordering a pizza and getting all the ingridients cold and some instructions on how to mix them.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 29, 2011, 11:47:59 am »

Welp, its not any of you guy's fault that warg riders suck majorly with their puny darts and bad armor. The reason I tell them to dismount is because they spend alot of time throwing darts which don't do any decent damage against heavily armored elves/superior cavalry. They'll miss more then half the time and even when they hit they do barely any damage, and by the time they run out of darts and start charging the enemy's infantry like they should, a lot of infantry will have died due to them derping around and not distrupting the enemy's archers and infantry, and even then they're not very useful because the melee weapons they carry suck majorly.

Whats more, I don't remember reading anywhere that warg riders throw darts at their enemies. In LoTR and related media they either used bows, spears or some other kind of melee weapon, sometimes with a shield.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:56:52 am by Dakk »
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19