Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: Mount and Blade: The Third Age Mod [Steam Users Possible Solution]  (Read 93198 times)

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade: The Third Age Mod
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2011, 03:00:24 pm »

Oops, yeah I meant Rivendell Knights.  If you're close to the beginning and using low tier troops then shit yeah that would suck.  Once you manage to get Rivendell Cavalry or Knights your losses should go way down.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 03:38:25 pm by thepodger »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2011, 03:59:02 pm »

Remember, people, there's a tier set for Mount and Blade in general.

Infanty < Archers < Cavalry < Heavy Cavalry
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2011, 04:02:31 pm »

In the current state the mod doesn't have any difficulty if you're playing the good guys, and is crazy hard if you're playing the bad guys. The orc equipment just sucks too much. Equipment across the board is really unbalanced. Dunedain got the short end of the stick too, elite rangers have super heavy paper thin armor. Mirkwood elves on the other hand are walking tanks, their armor also happens to be super light so they can still run fast. And the lengths of weapons is all over the place - big two handed uruk falchions have 67 length while arnor shortswords are 86. Can't wait for Ron's RCM, should make things more fun.

Buffing orc equipment a bit makes the mod much more challenging. I went in and boosted the orc's blades to 28 damage (they were 20, compared to 30 for most human swords as well as being slower) and upped the bows to 30 (also 20, compared to as high as 43 for human bows). Also boosted their armors a bit, and the other weapons that sucked (some of the 2h weapons were worse than 1h human weapons). Now my dwarven troops actually suffer losses, instead of 50 dwarves rolling through 300 goblins without a single casualty.

In the base mod as a dwarf I got Lordly faction armor and the King's helm as well as the best boots and a 2h pickaxe, and I could go into a battle vs 50 orcs solo and kill them all. I could just stand there while 50 orcs fire arrows at me and at most suffer 1 damage every few dozen shots.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:04:42 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2011, 04:04:25 pm »

Well, the thing at the moment is that the orcs did have really inferior iron and other metal. Sauron and Saruman relied on numbers and keeping the Good guys low on supplies.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2011, 04:08:52 pm »

They really overdid it. Orc equipment is so miserable, no matter how much of a numerical advantage they have they'll lose.

I was running around with 10 elite dwarves, my three companions, and myself - killing Mordor war parties of 120 without anyone so much as being knocked out. Fighting wargs is a bit tougher, since they do blunt damage on charge and can actually knock guys out - but the riders don't pose any risk with their impotent darts.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2011, 05:10:18 pm »

Its also impossible for the numerical advantage to mean that much in M&B since the battle size is limited.  Fighting a battle of 50 against 500 consists of 5 battles at 1:2 odds, even better odds with high tactics.  So yeah.  This is awesome in concept but in practice I've concluded that the game is just not fun and way too easy.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2011, 05:31:49 pm »

I was playing battle size 200, where my 10 elite dwarves, companions, and myself were killing all 120 in one round. The dwarves were completely surrounded by orcs. The elite dwarves dont even have shields, they were being beat and bashed and pincushioned by orc arrows. The orc equipment just sucks so much they couldn't do any damage, whereas the dwarves were just smashing one orc after another without even flinching.

It was like a Native battle of Nord Huscarls vs Looters, only the orcs had elite (level 30) troops that were equally incompetent. A whole line of fell orc archers of Mordor couldn't make my troops even flinch. You might as well give the orcs Nerf guns. They probably would have done more damage with looters' rocks, at least they do blunt damage instead of cutting.

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2011, 05:39:18 pm »

What difficulty are you playing on? I dont mean to be rude but when I have 60 dwarves vs 120 goblins i lose about 5 dwarves and a further 10 or 20 go get knocked out. Also most of my dwarves are elite and I have good equipment.

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2011, 05:45:53 pm »

Are you using manual or fast battles?  Fast battles will almost always have more casualties even if you simply ride your horse into a corner of the map and sit the duration of the manual battle.  If you participate and tell your dudes to hold a position and wait till the enemy is close to order a cavalry charge you should be decimating virtually any number of orcs.

However, a single troll can really fuck your world up if you don't personally deal with it on foot with a pike and keep it away from all of your melee troops.  Optionally if you have good archers you can kite it while they whittle it down.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2011, 05:52:46 pm »

Jeeze this mod crashes a lot.  Other than that, I really enjoy it!

Try lowering your graphics settings, the mod is alot more intense than normal mount and blade. I had some crashes but turned rag dolls off, havent had any since.

Also change from Direct X9 to Direct X7.  I had lots of crashes until I did that.  For some reason, the M&B series works better with Direct 7 than 9.

Buffing orc equipment a bit makes the mod much more challenging.

Or, you can just play the bad guys.  I'm loving my run as a lowly Dunedain commander.

Protip as evil: You can have as many troops as you want, so long as you have orcs.  See, each orc added gives +2 to the overall army size.  So, the army just gets bigger, until the factions no longer have troops for you to recruit cause you got a +500 army.  At least, I think that's how it works.

I love this mod but... anyone noticed the ungodly amount of bad guys swarming all around Minas Tirith and the way to Rohan? Case in point.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I especially love the 'no retreat possible' thing I've got going on here. I got 300+ troops after me from Cain Andros, tried to flee to Minas Tirith only for the rest to appear, made a desperate turn for Rohan but to no avail. I haven't even tried this fight yet, but it's kinda obvious what's going to happen. It kinda sucks that I'll lose all my elite troops. My beautiful Veteran Dol Amroth Knights I've fought with since they were lowly Squires, sob sob.

I doubt that even if I beat the first battle and get to retreat I'll survive. They're all around me, they'd just catch up with me again.

Having faced the Rohan, I have no doubt that you can win.  Each Rohan skirmisher can kill 10 orcs, in my experience from the other side of the battle field.  I vividly recall bringing an army of 30 versus 5 Rohan squires.  At the end of the battle, I had two troops still standing.

Honestly, the best thing for an evil player to do when facing Rohan is to use the autobattle.  The game just can't calculate a greater slaughter than what actually occurs.   :P

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2011, 05:55:41 pm »

Yeah autobattle evens things out.  But why play M&B then?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2011, 06:48:06 pm »

Strategy.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2011, 06:50:55 pm »

In the current state the mod doesn't have any difficulty if you're playing the good guys, and is crazy hard if you're playing the bad guys. The orc equipment just sucks too much. Equipment across the board is really unbalanced. Dunedain got the short end of the stick too, elite rangers have super heavy paper thin armor. Mirkwood elves on the other hand are walking tanks, their armor also happens to be super light so they can still run fast. And the lengths of weapons is all over the place - big two handed uruk falchions have 67 length while arnor shortswords are 86. Can't wait for Ron's RCM, should make things more fun.

Buffing orc equipment a bit makes the mod much more challenging. I went in and boosted the orc's blades to 28 damage (they were 20, compared to 30 for most human swords as well as being slower) and upped the bows to 30 (also 20, compared to as high as 43 for human bows). Also boosted their armors a bit, and the other weapons that sucked (some of the 2h weapons were worse than 1h human weapons). Now my dwarven troops actually suffer losses, instead of 50 dwarves rolling through 300 goblins without a single casualty.

In the base mod as a dwarf I got Lordly faction armor and the King's helm as well as the best boots and a 2h pickaxe, and I could go into a battle vs 50 orcs solo and kill them all. I could just stand there while 50 orcs fire arrows at me and at most suffer 1 damage every few dozen shots.

How do you edit the stats?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2011, 07:07:59 pm »

What difficulty are you playing on? I dont mean to be rude but when I have 60 dwarves vs 120 goblins i lose about 5 dwarves and a further 10 or 20 go get knocked out. Also most of my dwarves are elite and I have good equipment.

Difficulty is as high as it goes except for the saving option (good combat AI, normal damage, manual blocking, etc - showing as 120%).

Fighting warg riders I get a few knocked out, since the wargs can knock the dwarves around - but fighting armies of nothing but foot orcs in the forest and just having my guys stay together in a wad (so they aren't completely surrounded individually) keeps any of them from dieing. The top end dwarves get 44 chest armor and those king hats with 50 head armor, so the orc weapons with 20 cutting damage do nothing. A few of the orc weapons are better - the skull spears are OK since they do piercing, and some of the isengard stuff is fair - but the Mordor War Parties spawned out of Dol Guldur are all on foot and mostly armed with the 20 damage swords and 20 damage bows, making them pretty incompetent. The fact that I wade through the orcs clicking attack and hack them down one after another, one hit each since their armor sucks, might play a role in my dwarves survival - even the big fights usually only last a minute or so, with me getting loads of kills. I got up to 4000 before I got bored and edited the files, now I'm just over 4500. The last 500 were probably harder than the first 4000, because now that orc arrows and blades can actually hurt me I can't just run through their ranks chopping them down by the hundred without being hit back. I got knocked out for the first time the entire time I've played the mod shortly after the edit, by an orc throwing axe to the head (which I edited to be like the good faction's throwing axe, 60 damage instead of 30 lol).

I just edited the text files. It's not hard once you know what to look for. There are even troop and item editor programs out there.

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2011, 07:18:45 pm »

Hahah ok then, yeah I have to agree that they are way too underpowered, the wargs are their only saving grace. I think I've only been knocked out by warg riders or being shot repeatedly in the face. Furthermore the dwarven reward axe is absurdly powerful, Im currently doing up to 90 damage a slash with it.

Links:

Item editor: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,27735.0.html

Troop editor: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,34154.0.html

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:25:21 pm by Kivish Zokun »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19