Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tileset problems  (Read 855 times)

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tileset problems
« on: February 20, 2007, 01:01:00 pm »

I downloaded Winterwing's 16x16 tileset, I saved it as a 24bit bmp file.  I then point to it by entering:
[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:1024]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:Curses_16x16_lucon.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1600]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:1024]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:Curses_16x16_lucon.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]
The graphics look all wonky.  If I use the normal one that comes with it curses_square_16x16.bmp it looks fine.  Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.  (everything comes out looking like colored squares, almost solid)
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset problems
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »

quote:
If I use the normal one that comes with it curses_square_16x16.bmp it looks fine. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I think I may have had a similar problem... Out of exasperation I eventually just opened both Curses_square_16x16 and the font I was trying to use in MS paint, and copied the contents of the latter over the former... It worked, but I too don't know what exactly I was doing wrong (it sounds like I did the same things as you).

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

The 'mask' area (the magenta) is probably not EXACTLY magenta: 255R/0G/255B

Magenta is used as 'transparent': will be filled with the background color. Anything else will be colored and displayed.

Check your magenta and make sure it is SOLID and 255/0/255. If ONE pixel is, say, 254/1/255, although visually it will appear magenta, it is not 255/0/255 so it will NOT be used as a mask, and instead used as image.

Edit: OR it could be an 8, 16, 32, or 48 bit BMP (can they be CMYK? actually i don't think so.) It MUST be a 24-bit RGB BMP

[ February 20, 2007: Message edited by: herrbdog ]

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 10:26:00 am »

Don't know what it was, but it couldn't be the masking.  I tried what the other guy did, and it worked.  Maybe it has something to do with how MS Paint converts .png files to .bmp files.  No clue otherwise.  
I'm willing to submit both the corrected file and the uncorrected file, to Frog to see if there is an actual data difference between the 2.  I don't have the software to do a bitwise comparison on my machine at the moment though.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 06:50:00 pm »

open command (start->run->'cmd')

type
fc <filename> <filename>

this will compare files byte for byte.

and I use photoshop personally. ms paint is a pos. not that everyone has access to photoshop, though... you could send me the files, i can let you know, too.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:21:00 am »

I was looking for a program that would give me more than simply they are the same or different personally.  All that I can see is different is the resolution on the good one is 99x99 dpi, while the bad one is 96x96 dpi.  Both are 256x256 with the same colors.  Not sure how to change the dpi in paint though.  Little bizarre if you ask me.

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 02:14:00 am »

fill the entire background with some color (chartruse or somesuch that is not present on the current image) and then you will see which pixels are different.
Then you can get the eyedropper and pick up that color and paint the previous color(chartruse) to whatever color the dropper picked up. Then after all backgrounds are the same color edit a color to 255,0,255 and paint the background.

If they are pixels that are surrounded by some other color, then you will have to go and fillin each inside.

it is only 16 X 16 things, and not all of them are enclosed so it wont take too long

Or if that is too much, just paint the entire background white, then paint everything magenta and you will see which pixels (that were originally surrounded by white) are not the correct color and you can just fill in those.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 06:28:00 am »

As stated before, there was no color problem.  I pasted the WHOLE image to the other file and it worked fine, no color changing necessary.  There is a file difference though, it may be from how mspaint converts a .png to a .bmp.  The colors were the same though, I tested it thoroughly, and the fact that I can just copy and paste the colors and have it work proves it.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »

How WEIRD!  I just had to do this also...  And indeed, it didn't work when converting .png to 24-bit bmp, but it worked fine when copying it over and replacing the contents within MSPaint.

I ran fc through the cmd, and it  gave this message:  "Resync failed.  Files are too different."

And look at that!  The file sizes are even different.  How awkward...

[ March 03, 2007: Message edited by: Tylui ]

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 08:38:33 pm »

I came across this too, and initially blamed it on the new version.  Maybe something happened to the file on the wiki?  By the way, I'm running Linux, using totally different software to do conversions (ImageMagick and GIMP independently) and saw precisely the same behavior.  The same solution worked, too--start up GIMP, copy winterwing.png on top of curses_square_16x16.bmp, then save as winterwing.bmp.