Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF Micro Test - 2 Fortresses  (Read 4785 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Re: DF Micro Test - 2 Fortresses
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 10:27:07 am »

7 fortesses?!  AT ONCE!

IT MUST BE DONE!!! I WILL COMMENCE THIS GRAND PROJECT AT ONCE!!!
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 10:37:48 am »

Maybe make it so your miners are the only people who can cross between the fortresses. Have like Checkpoint Charlie between the two that the miners have to travel through.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 10:52:15 am »

i'm gonna try to mod it so that i can attack my own guys....then ill just roll play the diplomacy :D

tips for modding it?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 11:37:57 am »

i'm gonna try to mod it so that i can attack my own guys....then ill just roll play the diplomacy :D

tips for modding it?

None? I'm pretty sure that it is impossible to mod the game so that you can attack your own dwarfs. You'll have to use a third party tool to change the state of the military into invaders so that the two sides can fight each other.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 11:50:50 am »

tips for modding it?

None? I'm pretty sure that it is impossible to mod the game so that you can attack your own dwarfs. You'll have to use a third party tool to change the state of the military into invaders so that the two sides can fight each other.

Yeah sadly from what I've seen/heard it's impossible to do this without losing control of one side. Unless there's a utility that creates a loyalty cascade by altering allegience to the home civ and their group it may be very difficult. It might just be easier to teleport dwarfs into a room with a dwarf merchant one by one and have them attack him. After one hit (which I'm guessing is all that's needed to cause a loyalty cascade, this wouldn't work if the requirement is murder) teleport him out and another in. Micro intensive to do 50 times or so, but assuming one can teleport dorfs around with a utility this would be the way to go.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 06:12:32 pm »

I kinda do this already. Once my fort reaches a certain self-sustaining mass, usually around 80 or so skill craftsdwarfs, militia, and full-time haulers/furnace operators; I seal off the fort completely and all new migrants are forced to start their own fort or die of starvation.

All my focus is prioritized to the sealed fort, and usually each migrant wave eventually dies from lack of management and gobbos. But I don't care about them anyway.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 06:40:12 pm »

Mining would be a pain. If you un-burrowed your miners they would mine in each fort interchangeably, and if you put them in burrows, you would have to update the burrows every time they mined a block.
Although it would indeed be somewhat of a pain mining with burrows, it wouldn't be that much of one. You would not need to update burrows every time they mined a block. when designating burrows, you can designate unexplored space as part of the burrow.

Also, I was thinking of doing a multifort of this sort for some time. Maybe even have four or five forts going, or maybe different levels of fort (the kingdom of luxury, the survivalist nation, the poor starving, and the elite military) all more or less self sufficient in different keeps. may include a small outpost in the circus. And may be less self sufficient, with elaborate airlocks for shuffling food/goods around. might actually be helpful to separate the magma industries like this, so they keep on producing masterwork goods during a spiral (for the lowly dwarves to kill each other with.)

This would be a good thread to talk about the various !!science!! elements of it. especially automated or semi-automated airlocks, and whether each fort should have its own vertical column to grow in, or each take up a different horizontal layer (surface, sedimentary mining, cavern(s), magma).

does anyone have a tried and true goods-shuffling-airlock method? or an idea for fully automating it?

But then miners in each fort would get burrows in the other forts' previously unexplored areas, bringing you back to square one...

Unexplored space can be designated as part of a burrow, if its within the designated rectangle. so previously unexplored space in the other fort wouln't become part of the burrow upon reveal if it hadn't be designated to do so, while previously unexplored space in the fort you designated around would, because it was within the designating rectangle.

Maybe make it so your miners are the only people who can cross between the fortresses. Have like Checkpoint Charlie between the two that the miners have to travel through.

Easier if you aren't doing a lot of digging, true, but miners have an often annoying tenancy to do everything from left to right. so if you have two parallel tunnels being dug left-right, the miners will dig a bit of one, then walk all the way around to dig a bit of the other etc, instead of splitting up and tackling both separately like sane dwarves elves would. so if you have a fort on the left, and a fort on the right, all the mining in the fort on the left will have to get done before ANY gets done on the right. Similarly, if you have a fort on the top (north) of the map, and a fort on the bottom (south), the dwarves will dig a few squares in one before trecking to the other and digging a few there, meanwhile getting pincushioned TURNED INTO PICK WIELDING SUPER SOLDIERS by elite goblin bowmen wandering the surface underworld.

And first person to find a way to mass-produce disloyal dwarves gets candy, and a special visit from bubbles the clown.

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 08:09:58 pm »

I had a similar idea, only for a sort of a "multiplayer" game, where two players could in turns control a half of the map each. In the end, they send their military at each other.

Then I tested it and found out that the military can't attack dwarves  :(

I smell a use for loyalty cascade? has anyone found a way to control a loyalty cascade such that the two sides of the cascade can be isolated, and build separate forts, one loyal to the homeland, one to the local government? and has anyone found out if babies born during a loyalty cascade start out loyal to both homeland and local, or if they inherit the loyalty?

No need for anything so complicated. It's quite simple, really. All you have to do is slowly have every dwarf in one fortress go berserk, then have the other dwarves of the same fortress pummel them into unconsciousness. While that dwarf is unconscious, build a small room around them, then make it a pit and build stairs up and a channel one z-level above. Throw down food and drink to the berserk dwarf (I can't remember if berserk dwarves actually eat things or not), and keep them alive until almost all of the dwarves are berserk. Hook up pillars or doors of the rooms to a lever, then pull the lever to have a simultaneous release of berserk dwarves. Send in your military, then let chaos commence as the prisoners beat your military and each other to death with their shoes.

Quite simple.

Quite.

Sadly dwarves with any sort of insanity don't eat or drink, nor do they always go berserk. The latter would only be a problem if you didn't have a million expendable dwarves, which if we didn't it wouldn't be Dwarf Fortress. It would be fun for just one of the aforementioned supersoldiers to be made to go berserk and have the rest of the fort as conscripted wrestlers to go against them. I wonder if he'd pass out before cleaving a hundred or so in half.

Also, why send dwarves to fight dwarves? Danger room some of your million captured goblins and release them periodically on the opposing fortress. Sounds like it could be interersting to do this on DFterm with timed turns once both fortresses are set up. It would make patrol routes actually useful as you would have to constantly have a defense force along the wall. This actually sounds really fun...
That's unfortunate about insane dwarves, but the goblins sound just as fun.
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 08:38:23 pm »

I had a similar idea, only for a sort of a "multiplayer" game, where two players could in turns control a half of the map each. In the end, they send their military at each other.

Then I tested it and found out that the military can't attack dwarves  :(

I smell a use for loyalty cascade? has anyone found a way to control a loyalty cascade such that the two sides of the cascade can be isolated, and build separate forts, one loyal to the homeland, one to the local government? and has anyone found out if babies born during a loyalty cascade start out loyal to both homeland and local, or if they inherit the loyalty?

No need for anything so complicated. It's quite simple, really. All you have to do is slowly have every dwarf in one fortress go berserk, then have the other dwarves of the same fortress pummel them into unconsciousness. While that dwarf is unconscious, build a small room around them, then make it a pit and build stairs up and a channel one z-level above. Throw down food and drink to the berserk dwarf (I can't remember if berserk dwarves actually eat things or not), and keep them alive until almost all of the dwarves are berserk. Hook up pillars or doors of the rooms to a lever, then pull the lever to have a simultaneous release of berserk dwarves. Send in your military, then let chaos commence as the prisoners beat your military and each other to death with their shoes.

Quite simple.

Quite.

Sadly dwarves with any sort of insanity don't eat or drink, nor do they always go berserk. The latter would only be a problem if you didn't have a million expendable dwarves, which if we didn't it wouldn't be Dwarf Fortress. It would be fun for just one of the aforementioned supersoldiers to be made to go berserk and have the rest of the fort as conscripted wrestlers to go against them. I wonder if he'd pass out before cleaving a hundred or so in half.

Also, why send dwarves to fight dwarves? Danger room some of your million captured goblins and release them periodically on the opposing fortress. Sounds like it could be interersting to do this on DFterm with timed turns once both fortresses are set up. It would make patrol routes actually useful as you would have to constantly have a defense force along the wall. This actually sounds really fun...
That's unfortunate about insane dwarves, but the goblins sound just as fun.

Yeah, I'm not sure about danger rooming them though. From what I understand they generally leave certain parts unarmored, and since they can't breed I don't condone repeatedly smashing their tender bits with a blunt spear. Actually, blunt force goblin neutering could be a staple of dwarven entertainment when the arena isn't running any fights.

Dwarf Fortress: Crushing goblins naughty bits for dwarven entertainment when no such system yet exists.

Speaking of arenas, that's another idea. Have airlocks between the two cities leading to a grand arena and have them bet valuables based on the outcomes of their heroes/creatures in arena fights. Each side captures the strongest creatures it can find and pits them against each other or against a dwarf. In THIS case I'm sure it would be easy enough to alter the dwarf with a utility before and, if he lives, after the fight so that you temporarily lose control of him when you turn him into a goblin or something and the two go at it. Bonus points if the dwarfs fighting are related.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 09:34:21 pm »

Speaking of arenas, that's another idea. Have airlocks between the two cities leading to a grand arena and have them bet valuables based on the outcomes of their heroes/creatures in arena fights. Each side captures the strongest creatures it can find and pits them against each other or against a dwarf. In THIS case I'm sure it would be easy enough to alter the dwarf with a utility before and, if he lives, after the fight so that you temporarily lose control of him when you turn him into a goblin or something and the two go at it. Bonus points if the dwarfs fighting are related.

Bonus points if neither side are allowed to farm or butcher or distill, and a third side provides food and leather and drink and bones. so if one side starts to falter, they starve, and then tantrum spiral, leaving only the fittest alive. (btw, if you leave the migrants in a room with till it becomes extremely crowded (barring woodcutters and miners.. they're cheating), then impale/drown/magma a couple migrants after everyone is friends, you might just get a legendary biter/misc object user out of it who doesn't care about anything anymore.)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 07:00:51 am »

I've been thinking about this but the managing would be pain

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 08:34:06 am »

Easier if you aren't doing a lot of digging, true, but miners have an often annoying tenancy to do everything from left to right. so if you have two parallel tunnels being dug left-right, the miners will dig a bit of one, then walk all the way around to dig a bit of the other etc, instead of splitting up and tackling both separately like sane dwarves elves would. so if you have a fort on the left, and a fort on the right, all the mining in the fort on the left will have to get done before ANY gets done on the right. Similarly, if you have a fort on the top (north) of the map, and a fort on the bottom (south), the dwarves will dig a few squares in one before trecking to the other and digging a few there, meanwhile getting pincushioned TURNED INTO PICK WIELDING SUPER SOLDIERS by elite goblin bowmen wandering the surface underworld.

And first person to find a way to mass-produce disloyal dwarves gets candy, and a special visit from bubbles the clown.
Well that'd be the point of the checkpoint... you could confine your miners to one side then when they were done there let them through.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.
Pages: 1 [2]