Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF Micro Test - 2 Fortresses  (Read 4793 times)

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
DF Micro Test - 2 Fortresses
« on: October 31, 2011, 07:48:32 pm »

Using burrows has anyone ever tried the idea of running two Fortresses simultaneously.

Possibly a allocation zone which would be a meeting place that dwarfs unassigned to either fortress go to.

I think this is a really interesting idea, it would take alot of work setting up the two burrow zones but it would look interesting watching two thriving bases working at once. Or one failing base and one thriving.

Anyway i put this test to anyone interested in trying.

Extra points for starting with nothing and one group starting with 5 and one with 4.

CAN YOU SURVIVE!??!?!
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Micro Test - 2 Fortresses
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:02:58 pm »

Mining would be a pain. If you un-burrowed your miners they would mine in each fort interchangeably, and if you put them in burrows, you would have to update the burrows every time they mined a block.

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:20:39 pm »

I think there is a way to set unmined area as burrowed
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:25:18 pm »

Mining would be a pain. If you un-burrowed your miners they would mine in each fort interchangeably, and if you put them in burrows, you would have to update the burrows every time they mined a block.
Although it would indeed be somewhat of a pain mining with burrows, it wouldn't be that much of one. You would not need to update burrows every time they mined a block. when designating burrows, you can designate unexplored space as part of the burrow.

Also, I was thinking of doing a multifort of this sort for some time. Maybe even have four or five forts going, or maybe different levels of fort (the kingdom of luxury, the survivalist nation, the poor starving, and the elite military) all more or less self sufficient in different keeps. may include a small outpost in the circus. And may be less self sufficient, with elaborate airlocks for shuffling food/goods around. might actually be helpful to separate the magma industries like this, so they keep on producing masterwork goods during a spiral (for the lowly dwarves to kill each other with.)

This would be a good thread to talk about the various !!science!! elements of it. especially automated or semi-automated airlocks, and whether each fort should have its own vertical column to grow in, or each take up a different horizontal layer (surface, sedimentary mining, cavern(s), magma).

does anyone have a tried and true goods-shuffling-airlock method? or an idea for fully automating it?

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 08:27:55 pm »

You wouldn't need burrows if you just wall off both sides of the fortress, though you'd have to do it in the caverns and above ground too if you want access to those areas.

Just use burrow to divide, wall, unburrow. Now your two fortresses are free to act as bi-polar as they want!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 08:57:39 pm »

The cities should trade clowns after they reach their height. One has to breach the circus, then the other sends a squad of elite soldiers specially trained for the operation in, and attempts to contain the disaster. Survivors are funneled into the decontamination zone, ady clad supersoldiers (burned with magma and all to reduce flammability) attempt to hold back the waves of hostiles, then attempt to clear the way for engineers to repair the damage. Survivors who walled themselves in to safe corners are assisted. When it is done, the fort is left empty for a while, and eventually reclaimed by some people from the home fort.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 09:05:18 pm »

That sounds like a fun idea... Build a successful large fort. Branch off small, completely isolated fortress. Well-trained (danger room'd) addy-clad soldiers, w. a few dwarves to sustain the isolated fort. Then breach the HFS and let the fortress fall. Depending on the difficulty you want it at, Use your super soldier squad and systematically try to reclaim your fortress.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 09:56:55 pm »

I had a similar idea, only for a sort of a "multiplayer" game, where two players could in turns control a half of the map each. In the end, they send their military at each other.

Then I tested it and found out that the military can't attack dwarves  :(
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 10:02:18 pm »

I had a similar idea, only for a sort of a "multiplayer" game, where two players could in turns control a half of the map each. In the end, they send their military at each other.

I smell a use for loyalty cascade? has anyone found a way to control a loyalty cascade such that the two sides of the cascade can be isolated, and build separate forts, one loyal to the homeland, one to the local government? and has anyone found out if babies born during a loyalty cascade start out loyal to both homeland and local, or if they inherit the loyalty?

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 10:45:18 pm »

Although it would indeed be somewhat of a pain mining with burrows, it wouldn't be that much of one. You would not need to update burrows every time they mined a block. when designating burrows, you can designate unexplored space as part of the burrow.

Also, I was thinking of doing a multifort of this sort for some time. Maybe even have four or five forts going, or maybe different levels of fort (the kingdom of luxury, the survivalist nation, the poor starving, and the elite military) all more or less self sufficient in different keeps. may include a small outpost in the circus. And may be less self sufficient, with elaborate airlocks for shuffling food/goods around. might actually be helpful to separate the magma industries like this, so they keep on producing masterwork goods during a spiral (for the lowly dwarves to kill each other with.)

This would be a good thread to talk about the various !!science!! elements of it. especially automated or semi-automated airlocks, and whether each fort should have its own vertical column to grow in, or each take up a different horizontal layer (surface, sedimentary mining, cavern(s), magma).

does anyone have a tried and true goods-shuffling-airlock method? or an idea for fully automating it?

But then miners in each fort would get burrows in the other forts' previously unexplored areas, bringing you back to square one...

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 11:33:02 pm »

Tip:
Embark on a volcano.
Then when either one is reduced to a certain number, say... 12 dwarves,
you have them released from their bondages and have them all build a ship.
Burrow above 12 into ship.
Burrow the others back into their fort.
Launch cruise ship to the circus.

Also, one problem:
Where will you place nobles? You can't gene splice and clone.

ludsoe

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urst of Urstland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 02:09:15 am »

Tip:
Embark on a volcano.
Then when either one is reduced to a certain number, say... 12 dwarves,
you have them released from their bondages and have them all build a ship.
Burrow above 12 into ship.
Burrow the others back into their fort.
Launch cruise ship to the circus.

Also, one problem:
Where will you place nobles? You can't gene splice and clone.

Place them outside.
Ludsoe has cancels life: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

(Reserved for more stuff)

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 06:13:46 am »

Loyalty cascade so the 2 forts can war with each other

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 06:43:35 am »

I smell a use for loyalty cascade? has anyone found a way to control a loyalty cascade such that the two sides of the cascade can be isolated, and build separate forts, one loyal to the homeland, one to the local government? and has anyone found out if babies born during a loyalty cascade start out loyal to both homeland and local, or if they inherit the loyalty?

No need for anything so complicated. It's quite simple, really. All you have to do is slowly have every dwarf in one fortress go berserk, then have the other dwarves of the same fortress pummel them into unconsciousness. While that dwarf is unconscious, build a small room around them, then make it a pit and build stairs up and a channel one z-level above. Throw down food and drink to the berserk dwarf (I can't remember if berserk dwarves actually eat things or not), and keep them alive until almost all of the dwarves are berserk. Hook up pillars or doors of the rooms to a lever, then pull the lever to have a simultaneous release of berserk dwarves. Send in your military, then let chaos commence as the prisoners beat your military and each other to death with their shoes.

Quite simple.
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 10:23:24 am »

No need for anything so complicated. It's quite simple, really. All you have to do is slowly have every dwarf in one fortress go berserk, then have the other dwarves of the same fortress pummel them into unconsciousness. While that dwarf is unconscious, build a small room around them, then make it a pit and build stairs up and a channel one z-level above. Throw down food and drink to the berserk dwarf (I can't remember if berserk dwarves actually eat things or not), and keep them alive until almost all of the dwarves are berserk. Hook up pillars or doors of the rooms to a lever, then pull the lever to have a simultaneous release of berserk dwarves. Send in your military, then let chaos commence as the prisoners beat your military and each other to death with their shoes.

Quite simple.

Quite.

Sadly dwarves with any sort of insanity don't eat or drink, nor do they always go berserk. The latter would only be a problem if you didn't have a million expendable dwarves, which if we didn't it wouldn't be Dwarf Fortress. It would be fun for just one of the aforementioned supersoldiers to be made to go berserk and have the rest of the fort as conscripted wrestlers to go against them. I wonder if he'd pass out before cleaving a hundred or so in half.

Also, why send dwarves to fight dwarves? Danger room some of your million captured goblins and release them periodically on the opposing fortress. Sounds like it could be interersting to do this on DFterm with timed turns once both fortresses are set up. It would make patrol routes actually useful as you would have to constantly have a defense force along the wall. This actually sounds really fun...
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"
Pages: [1] 2