Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: -Insert Universe Name Here- Based off of King of the Weasels's thread.  (Read 4996 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: -Insert Universe Name Here- Based off of King of the Weasels's thread.
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 08:59:26 pm »

No offense Adwarf, but those races are pretty um well overdone frankly. Demon races are really really overused.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 09:19:56 pm »

No offense Adwarf, but those races are pretty um well overdone frankly. Demon races are really really overused.
No offense taken from it, but I need to point out they aren't Demons. Anywho continue with race creation.

Gnomes: Small beings the Gnomes are known for their amazing mechanical creations, and amazing abilities for creating technological marvels.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 09:22:36 pm »

No offense taken from it, but I need to point out they aren't Demons. Anywho continue with race creation.

Gnomes: Small beings the Gnomes are known for their amazing mechanical creations, and amazing abilities for creating technological marvels.
Again, wouldn't really fit with the setting. This is post apocalyptic with humanoid creatures, cliche fantasy races wouldn't fit in.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 09:25:39 pm »

I have to agree. Plus, most of the challenge could come from deciding whether or not to use the cumbersome and slightly dangerous pre-Cataclysm artifacts or the primitive yet reliable improvised weapons. Having a race of mechanical-wonder making creatures wouldn't balance well..

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 09:34:02 pm »

Well I am out of race ideas, but I have a faction idea.

Tinkers: The Tinkers are a group of people who search out pre-Fall artifacts in the hope they may one day figure out how to begin recreating those weapons.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 09:34:03 pm »

I must admit, I find it a bit amusing to call demons and gnomes cliches while simultaneously accepting faes and furries. :P

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that dismissing species for not fitting the setting seems a bit of a stretch at this point; what species fit in the setting is really determined by what other species are actually in the setting more so than the history of the setting itself, so... yeah.

Case in point: we live on a planet which has rebuilt after the apocalypse that wiped out all the thunder lizards. The dominant species consists of upright hairless primates who ride around in metal machines running off of the burning spirits of the dead.

Edit: that's a bit straw-man, isn't it? Sorry, not trying to be combative.

Anyway, I think we should take the magical mutation bit and run with it, use it as an excuse to expand on what's available rather than as a reason to limit it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:37:00 pm by Time Blossom »
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 09:36:41 pm »

Hm, good point... but gnomes just seem kinda ludicrous. Tinkers, however, are much better. Thank you Adwarf.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 09:40:12 pm »

The gnomes were a stretch, but they are my favorite race :P

Another big question: Do we want to call the planet Earth and use it as a model, or make up our own planet ?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 09:55:21 pm »

Smeh might as well stick in an idea I had a long time ago that might fit in here.

(I am terrible at names so I'll just let you guys fill this space in)
A race of sapient buglike creatures. They are about the size of a half-dollar coin and have large bulbous heads with tiny eyes, they lack a visible neck part and their lowerbody is coneshaped and tapers in a stinger. Their most distinguishing ability is that they can burrow their way into a recently dead corpse and permanently bond with it, they then completely take over the body and it becomes their own. Their original form remains embedded in wherever it is that they settled, and after bonding acts as their "brain" and life support system. Hosts can be identified by dicolorization of the skin, and the colors of their eyes becoming inverted (whites of the eye turn black, pupil turns white, different colors switch in certain races where applicable).
It's FEF, not FEOF

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 10:04:43 pm »

Geosprites are a species of sapient crystalline-slime which can take a composite humanoid form when active, absorbing nearby material to create essentials such as functional skin/hide, bones, and organs. Being active constantly drains a Geosprite and pushes it into a state of dormancy if it fails to obtain enough energy to remain fully active. Hibernating Geosprites relinquish all elements not necessary to its dormant form, liquify, and coalesce into an almost impenetrable mass of diamond-like stone which adheres to whichever surface it falls upon within seconds of the transformation. A Geosprite only dies when its Heartstone, a diamond at the center of its core, is penetrated. To either reactivate or remain active, a Geosprite requires constant replenishment from one of the following sources of energy, listed in order from least effective to most effective: radiation, sunlight, and raw magic. The last item however can only effectively be drained when the Geosprite is in full dormancy, and structured spells mostly effect them as normal unless the Geosprite's spell resistance kicks in, in which case it regains 1hp per level of the spell resisted. Note that this spell resistance cannot be lowered and works equally well against healing spells as it does against hostile ones.

Geosprites lack any civilization of their own, being an apparently random by-product of the Fall, but when they are "born" they tend to find the closest sapient civilization and attempt to join it, or at least remain nearby if they are rebuked by its inhabitants. Accepted Geosprites tend to be extremely eager to integrate into their host civilization and will take upon a new identity which tends to stick for the remainder of their life (which has no known natural end). This identity is often built to resemble the dominant species of the host culture with any choice of gender form/role being up to the particular Geosprite's personal taste. This oddly social behavior has led many of the superstitious to believe that Geosprites are lost human souls, and led the paranoid to suspect Geosprites are infiltrators for an as of yet unknown enemy.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:02:38 pm by Glowcat »
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2011, 10:34:41 pm »

Tech Spirits: Tech Spirits are a result of the massive amount of Magic used to bring about the fall, it caused some technology to gain a spiritual form, and take control of pieces of technology ranging from Pre-Fall to Scrap Tech. They are mostly benign spirits, but if the item that holds them comes into danger they become extremely aggressive. Of course there are those Tech Spirits who have chose to stay moving, and have begun trying to gather their kind under one flag to protect themselves from Tinkers, and Scavengers alike.

Proposed Terms:

The Fall: Used to as an alternate to saying the destruction of the world by Magic.
Pre-Fall, or Artifacts: Used to deem a specific object as something from before the Fall thus making it far superior to the current Junk Tech
Junk Tech: Used to describe something as being made after The Fall when most magic, and technological advances are lost to us.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2011, 10:43:18 pm »

Doesn't look too bad...Cept for the benign part. Why would they be completely benign? I'd accept it personally if they were capable of being evil.

Those terms look good though.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2011, 11:01:36 pm »

...Holy crap.

You guys just come to me when you reach a decision, OK? I can't possibly process all the races on my own, but I have a suggestion:

Rift-possessed

The rarest of all the races, Rift-possessed are the unlucky few who took the magic-nukes directly. They themselves bear rifts to the abomination plane, located in their torsoes. They're all human, as they have all existed before the Fall- which took them in a very personal way. They're haunted by the very rift that contian, and many turn to become masters of those who pawn from their rifts, while others attempt to stop the abominations that came from them. Some just go plain insane. In any event, they'e horrendously rare and are sometimes even considered as a tale ot scare children. The Rift-Possessed certainly wish so.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2011, 12:35:13 am »

OK, this is the list of current races:

"Human"-Humans with stable DNA or look human.
Beasts-Mutated animals in humanoid shape.
Fae/Corrupted: Blue and Orange morality people with strange mutations.
Pure: Humans who are completely fine genetically. Very very rare.
Thagtg'in: Organisms taken by the abominations back to their realm and have then escaped. Rare and powerful but untrusted. For good reason.
Autonyms/Tech Spirits: Pieces of machinery made sentient by the Fall.
Dryads: Trees that have been quickened due to the Fall.
Tinkers: Nomads trying to restore previous technology levels. Actual species and races in group will vary.
Geosprites: Sentient slime that occasionally hardens. Can change form with enough material. Tries to join communities.
Rift-Possessed: Those directly hit by the missiles causing the Fall. Have rifts within their torsos. Rare, mostly insane, and dangerous.
Necromancers: Little insects that takeover dead biomass and use it as a "suit". The host changes somewhat when taken over.
Octopodes/Bodysnatcher: Tiny amphibious octopuses that take over living organisms and uses them as a host.

I've combined similar races.

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2011, 12:45:04 pm »

I think I'll be a player. I even have the base idea of a character.

A "Human" who grew up in a Tinker society which was based around cars. Their most complete work was a retro Citroen which had an elitist French Tech Spirit who could use the car radio to communicate and play French songs in the 1900's to 1950's period. My character got really annoyed by the leader of the society, and stole the car to spite them. It's got numerous combat upgrades. Still undecided on a name...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5