Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: -Insert Universe Name Here- Based off of King of the Weasels's thread.  (Read 4986 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

King of the Weasels had a great idea of there being a shared universe we all work on for a DnD and in which characters are all in the same canon. I liked this idea, but he had a few rules that, although being there for a reason, I didn't roll with. So I asked him and he allowed me to create a thread based off of his. It uses the same universe idea but is very loose- indeed the Universe's name or setting isn't decided at all at first, and really the only given at the beginning is the ruleset. Everything will be decided by the DMs and players.

So let's get to the most immediate task. What kind of setting will we use? Different technology or area things will be processed by me in the spare time I have.

DMs will have, like KotW's thread, the most say in the universe-shaping. They can also play as characters in other campaigns though, and can, if they wish have a DMPC.

DMs:
1. Powder Miner

Players (including DMPCs):
1. Powder Miner

Quick note, no making characters until the setting and stuff has been decided.

My own proposal is a renaissance setting with two coterminous planes as the main planes.

(No cosmology yet unless it's essential to the setting.)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:51:05 pm by Powder Miner »

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
Re: -Insert Universe Name Here- Based off of King of the Weasels's thread.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 06:57:33 pm »

First questions first, I suppose: still rolling with DnD 3.5, or are we open to other options?

I ask because the chosen ruleset sets certain boundaries on what is and is not doable as far as characters go. I know characters come later, but it's still worth talking about to determine whether, for instance, a nation of werewolves is a legit thing that could exist.

Anyway, to do something contribution-y: I'm rather fond of schizo-tech, personally. I like high fantasy, but I don't mind throwing in some alchemical, semi-steampunk Eberron shenanigans too.

Edit: didn't see your edit before I posted. Renaissance sounds like about the right feel, with the caveat that sorcery, cosmology and the like are being researched with the same verve as the real-world arts and sciences.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:59:59 pm by Time Blossom »
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 06:59:17 pm »

I enjoy urban fantasy, but I also enjoy post-apocalyptic works. I believe that post-nuclear works are in a very short supply, so I would advocate a post-nuclear fantasy. Normal society, no real weirdness until the bombs drop. Then the other plane starts invading the world, corrupting it and making things strange. But, if you want renaissance, go right ahead. I'm just kinda awkward about it since it's a little too close for comfort to medieval times, which is a bit overused.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:13:27 pm by Fniff »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 07:11:24 pm »

Renaissance sounds cool. However, do you mean late, pre-Enlightenment era or early, just-out-of-the-"dark ages" Renaissance? I'd go for early-to-late middle, spread out over the continent/world part. Kinda like it was in Europe, I guess.

Oh, and for clarification, do you mean Renaissance the mindset as well as time period? Because if you do I'm going to go crazy on all those (stand in-)Roman supremacist fanboys running around making up myths all over the place.
Love, scriver~

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 07:15:39 pm »

How bout a dark fantasy set in a post-apocalypse setting? Most areas would have pre-medieval technology while certain areas would have Renaissance-like technology?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 07:19:58 pm »

I would really like to see a religion based around a working AK47. I wouldn't mind a dark fantasy post-apocalypse setting as long as it has modern enough technology as the pre-apocalypse thing, which would be treated as useful artifacts.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 07:22:56 pm »

I kinda dig that. "Modern"-day wizards and alchemists, poking and prodding at recovered, mostly-useless pre-collapse technology and mixing it in with sorcery and natural philosophy. Throw in a bit of speculative history and a renaissance mindset, as you say, and blend until smooth.

Meanwhile out on the majority of the countryside, where ancient metropolises never sprung up, it's dark age technology all the way. Give or take the occasional cargo cult.

(Also, I'm having RIFTS flashbacks, but hopefully not in a bad way)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 07:24:23 pm »

Not exactly what I meant. I meant as in "end of the world" kind of apocalypse. Demons/eldrith (?) abominations/whatever destroying every civilization and such. But that works too.

I guess magic could be attributed to the apocalypse...doing something. And races could come of natural and magical evolution. I can picture a kingdom being built on top of ancient skyscrapers supported with magic and defended with ancient artifacts such as the "bringer of fire-hurt" and the "destroyer".
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 07:27:46 pm »

Magical war. Ended with the magic equal of a nuke being dropped on basically every city. Loads of magical residue everywhere, which has the mutating part of radiation but it's more immediate, more effective (More like forced evolution) and less lethal.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 07:29:01 pm »

We're rolling 3.5, albeit modified as much as the universe requires. ONly have now though, s I can't tally up votes for various settings.
And yeah, early Renaissance.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 07:31:15 pm »

Great, we have a setting! Now for a name...Each group/culture/region/whatever has a name for the world. Some say Alma, others Kores, Ger, Man. But in the old language, the words of the ancient peoples, it was called "Iyrth".

NINJ'D:...Wait, so we're doing a full Renaissance setting? No dark age countryside?   :-\
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 07:32:18 pm »

It could be post-Cthulhu just as easily as post-nuke.

E.g., the eldritch horrors came in and wiped out everything, but eventually the world recovered. Kinda. There are probably still a few portions of the world that people know not to go near, where great and terrible things slumber and occasionally wake.

(So many ninjas; not even gonna try to modify and keep up)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 07:34:27 pm »

No, both. The magical nukes contained little artifacts that were the physical embodiment of the abominations. They served as kind of fuel for the missiles and when they exploded, they all opened rifts to the realms of the abominations. Already weakened by the thaum*-nukes and the fallout, the survivors were unprepared for the time of Madness and Abominations.

*Smallest piece of magic.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 07:35:48 pm »

Oh, like Ghostrock? Seems a little too Deadlands...

The magical nuke thing leads to an easy reference to why every race is so damn weird. Magical Mutation!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 07:36:40 pm »

Ghostrock?
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5