Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Devlog - consequences of the new death announcements  (Read 16827 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Devlog - consequences of the new death announcements
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:16:52 am »

Vampire hunts required deaths to be obfuscated, so now we get delayed announcements unless we had witnesses. This brings to question what other scenarios will be changed as a result of the need for witnesses:

- Will tantrum murders also go unnoticed if you ignored the tantrum announcement and there were no witnesses?
- Will there one day be ambushes that kill silently without being announced because witesses fail to report their discovery before being killed?
- Will vampires be able to lure out victims away from witnesses or kill witnesses before they report to the Sheriff?
- What happens if you don't have a justice system at all? Is it now impossible to identify the vampire (assuming their randomly generated traits leave nothing to give them away such as sunlight weakness etc)?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: Devlog - consequences of the new death announcements
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:30:36 am »

Does this mean that dwarves can't communicate telepathically by beard aymore?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 10:56:00 am »

- Will there one day be ambushes that kill silently without being announced because witesses fail to report their discovery before being killed?
Imagine a situation, where a legendary ambusher elf enters your fort. Somehow his first 2-3 victims are all alone when he gets them... You get no announcement... no warning...
Once you finally discover Sam Hipster, he might get a lucky shot or two before the militia gets him... brace for tantrum spiral!
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:00:12 am »

Does this mean that dwarves can't communicate telepathically by beard aymore?
Well, Toady has stated that one day he intends to give the player a better defined position than "omnipresent hive mind". This is just the first step... well 3rd: 1st being stockpile quantities needing record keeping to be accurate and 2nd being the failed attempt at the armoury dwarf having to tick off equipment assignments before they happen. Far in the future our dwarves may lie to us about reports that affect our management of the fort. In the short term, let's see how the new justice system introduces false reports.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:10:00 am »

"OVERSEER! A witness reports that Urist McFatnoble is a vampire!"
"Righty then, magma Urist McPale, Urist McTan, Urist McCheese, Urist McPeasant, Urist McGlitter..."
"But sir..."
"AND YOU."

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 11:10:36 am »

I am a little worried at the potential for fun this brings up since in a large fort, the only notice of a voracious crawler, giant cave spider or skeletal elephant herd attack is a death announcement or at least a combat report.  I wonder how the whole alert thing will be handled given say cat watch towers.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 11:13:25 am »

I thought "Blood-curdling death-screams echoing throughout the entire fortress" was how Fun news got about.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 11:16:14 am »

Hmm, I also wonder if some dwarves would be considered too stupid to remember what they witnessed.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:22:10 am »

Hmm, I also wonder if some dwarves would be considered too stupid to remember what they witnessed.
Memory attribute: None.

Urist McWitness forgets the vampire!
Vampire dodges!
Vampire has collided with an officer!
Vampire has been struck down!
Urist McWitness has been arrested for accessory to murder.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 11:59:25 am »

I thought "Blood-curdling death-screams echoing throughout the entire fortress" was how Fun news got about.

This is actually a pretty efficient transmission system. Evil news tends to spread quickly. I think the silent murders (Ghosts, Vampires, Backstabbers, Cave Spiders) should be kept from omniscience, not the war and raging hippos dancing at the gates. I can imagine the dectective work could be fun.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 12:21:35 pm »

"Righty then, magma Urist McPale, Urist McTan, Urist McCheese, Urist McPeasant, Urist McGlitter..."
"But sir..."
"AND YOU."

Round up the usual suspects.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 01:45:04 pm »

"But sir..."
"AND YOU."

Well, I would magma Urist McFatnoble too, if I were the overseer.
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 02:01:18 pm »

"But sir..."
"AND YOU."

Well, I would magma Urist McFatnoble too, if I were the overseer.
greetz
But he's a vampire, we need our undead army!

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 02:26:35 pm »

Looks like I'll just need to give every dwarf a pet/ and or war scorpion
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Vindictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 02:34:57 pm »

Scorpions are good... But a set of three !!GIANT WAR TIGERS!! can kill anything.

Might be a little tricky to set up a breeding program, though...
Well, I now have an urge to end sentient life.

I think I'll go meditate for a bit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9