Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I do Believe i have been taken for a fool.  (Read 5021 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I do Believe i have been taken for a fool.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 03:16:46 pm »

believe what you will this threads helping a lot, who knows it might still work out.

well i'm a go rake up all the stuff in the back yard and set it on fire, then i'm a go see about getting that big-fuzzy swamp monster costume

do keep posting, in my drunkenness last night i have gotten more information than i had before i started, that's why i posted this on this forum.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 03:18:17 pm »

What makes you think that every date must end up in sex? Just because you go out with someone doesn't mean you necessarily want to sleep with her, you know.
OK, sorry, let me rephrase that:
what the hell made you think you'd get a date just for helping her out once or twice? Girls aren't obliged to repay kindness with a relation you know...
They're also not obliged to exploit guys they notice are attracted to them. Just like people aren't obliged to steal unguarded property or kick abandoned puppies.
She probably thought he was friendly enough to help her out in a time of need. This whole talk of manipulation, and frankly this whole subject, reeks of the nice guy syndrome.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:20:02 pm by Virex »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 03:22:09 pm »

There's no such thing as a free favour. So I reckon she should come clean his house or mow his lawn or whatever. If she refuses to return favour for favour it's a clear case of exploitation.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 03:31:48 pm »

If you offer a service to someone without making it clear up front you expect something in return, expecting something in return makes you, to be nice about it, a dishonest asshole who's guilt-tripping someone into doing something for you. So yeah, he should expect her to clean his house; with a bucket of dung that is.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 03:43:26 pm »

Free favours? Do you also believe in free lunch?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 03:47:21 pm »

1. People can be charitable and help a pal out. Ain't no problem there.

2. Again looking at the sentences devoted to explaining how cool they were with eachother the intent could easily be based around those emotions and experience than technical favors.

3. Virex, common pal, let's keep cool and not assume somebody is the worst scumbag of the earth alright? Gotta have a little faith in humanity here.  ;)

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 03:48:45 pm »

If someone offers me a lunch, without any indication of me having to pay, then later backs up and demands a favor, then he can commit indecent acts on himself. So in a sense, if someone offers me an apparently free lunch, then I'll believe in it.

Besides, there's no such thing as a free lunch, but if someone else is going to pay for it, I won't complain.

This is not to say that I won't return a favor. I just won't return it if you're trying to pressure me into doing so.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:51:38 pm by Virex »

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 04:06:14 pm »

Your trying to make it look as if i expected to be re-payed for helping her out, i assumed nothing would change after the fact of me helping her, but it did in a way i was not suspecting it would, being ignored.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 04:38:50 pm »

Yeah, seriously?

If I'm nice to someone and they need something, then I generally expect to be able to rely on them in a time of need.  But I'm not going to go "all right, now get over here and clean my house" or "what's in it for me?"

And similarly, if someone is nice to me, then I expect to look for an opportunity to be nice to them in the future, if we're going to continue having a relationship.

But in the case where someone is nice to me and then does something that makes me think "Okay, definitely not going to keep talking to this person," no, I'm not going to go out of my way to "settle the score."  There's no reason to.  We aren't in a business deal or anything.  We just broke off an aborted attempt to establish some flavor of partnership.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 04:43:54 pm »

Come on you can't demand something in return after doing someone a favor, that's just tricking someone into doing something that person did not agree to, a very dispicable thing in my opinion.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 05:37:26 pm »

Your trying to make it look as if i expected to be re-payed for helping her out, i assumed nothing would change after the fact of me helping her, but it did in a way i was not suspecting it would, being ignored.
I hate it when I do something without expecting a reward then don't get a reward too!

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 05:47:56 pm »

I hate it when I do something without expecting a reward then don't get a reward too!

so assuming that nothing will change is looking for a reward then?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 05:49:49 pm »

Yeah, it seems disappointing.  But give her some space, and it'll probably turn out better in the end.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 06:10:10 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:09:57 am by Ogdibus »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4