Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Beguiledbreakfast begins here!(Succession game)(Please read Rules)  (Read 7444 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beguiledbreakfast begins here!(Succession game)(Please read Rules)
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2011, 03:29:56 pm »

No I left it in a wider area of the magma trap, to keep all the trolls/ogre building destroyers in one place while they fruitlessly try to smash an indestructible artifact.  When the magma was gone so was the weapon rack my guy created.  He is still listed as an artifact creator, but the artifact is gone from the artifact list and the stocks menu.  His happiness remains fine and dandy; no mention of artwork desecration.  Wtf. I thought all artifacts were magma safe--e.g. the use of burning socks to make hallways of flaming doom.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2011, 06:15:21 pm »

I'm at a loss... Might be time to look through bug records, by all means it should be completely indestructable.

Vahir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2011, 07:43:14 pm »

Sent in a sign-up request.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Yeah, used to be like you.  "Don't draft the mothers" and "Make sure that mood gets fulfilled!" and "He's tantruming, better make him happier and not order him killed" or "Leave the gate open!  The woodcutter is still running away from the ambush!" Then I started throwing children to their deaths in an ornate glass display case in the middle of the dining hall

UristMcThunderguts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2011, 09:40:08 pm »

Sent in a sign-up request.

Vahir has joined us! Welcome to Beguiledbreakfast!

Vahir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2011, 09:47:26 pm »

Huzzah!

By the way, what's the policy on texture packs?
Yeah, used to be like you.  "Don't draft the mothers" and "Make sure that mood gets fulfilled!" and "He's tantruming, better make him happier and not order him killed" or "Leave the gate open!  The woodcutter is still running away from the ambush!" Then I started throwing children to their deaths in an ornate glass display case in the middle of the dining hall

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2011, 11:02:18 pm »

Huzzah!

By the way, what's the policy on texture packs?
If you want people to understand what you're posting without editing the photos, uninstall the pack before you take screenshots.

Not the official policy of the fort, but I at least would appreciate if you did that, I personally love the ASCII graphics and can't understand any of the texture packs.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2011, 05:10:22 am »

honestly i am not sure what the textures on this thing are at this point: my dwarves don't normally look like they do in this fort, but I never played with ascii and it confuses me.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2011, 06:05:14 am »

End of Summer
----

The ambushes came hard and vicious, right on the heels on the human caravan.  The humies were caught on the slop of the mountain and despite fighting valiantly fell to the onslaught.  Within the warm walls of Beguiledbreakfast dwarves discussed their options.  The choice was made to keep all civilians inside and risk the militia to mop up the goblin squad which had spent most its arrows on the humans.

The militia rushed out and a few stragglers from the outside rushed in.  Ambush! Ambush! Ambush! The deaths came swift now, one after the other:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We met the goblins right by the valley of fiery death, a dwarf in front of me, Tun, took several arrows.  Nearby another fell, overwhelmed by lashers.  The new recruits.  All the new recruits. The goblins were going through them like a hot knife through dwarf cheese. Tun was still screaming for help when the order came to fall back.  We were letting loose the magma. Return to Armok, Tun Iklistzulban

We were inside not for a minute as anguished screaming came from the forges--a group of goblins got through before the magma hit.  Got through and took to shooting civilians in a tight hallway. One dwarf, the very one who had pulled the lever paused for an instant, distracted by the ghost that appeared suddenly. He took an arrow to the leg and fell screaming in pain. With horror I realized it was Simianvisage, our best metalcrafter that was the target of their shots. Simian took arrow after arrow, he slipped in his own blood, fell onto a pierced hand, screamed from pain and lost consciousness. Another arrow pierced his shoulder. Simian struggled up, running. He had taken another before the militia myself leading turned the corner.  I removed the goblins feet while Momuz smashed a skull. They'll call him the Future Passage of Oars now.  Why?  He smashed a goblins skull in before my eyes, that's why, ye son of an elf!

Not just one either.  He alone faced the other bow goblin.  Clever this one was, and picked a spot safe and sound and mighty dangerous to all dwarves that came for him.

Momuz proved quite able, rushing past three arrows, leaping over a magma gap and crashing into the goblin archer at the full speed an iron bound, hammer-wielding warrior (who also happens to be a great cook and talented architect) can muster.
Only teeth flew into the magma.

I had had it.  The goblins were milling around my glorious armorstand. I had set in near the entrance of my design, intending to capture the attention of trolls, so they did not ruin my hatches.  Our revenge was at hand.
  I ordered that the lever be pulled.

The screams began in earnest, horrid screams, as terrible as any immortal creature can harness.  I began to get nostalgic (screaming, burning elves always remind me of my childhood).  One goblin appeared trap between two staircases, magma kept just brushing past him, burning off here his face, here part of his hand.

Our counts reported the goblins gone, slaughtered, melted or bleeding to death with magma inching closer.  Two final stragglers were taking potshots at guard animals milling by the trade depot.  Our grizzly war dead, the mandril screaming, and the wolf kept passing out from its injuries.

We rushed out screaming for battle.  The last surviving new recruit took a bolt to the heart.  She gasped out her husbands name and passed quickly.  The goblins were not so lucky:

Taking stock of our injured and dead I realized that Simianvisage, our arrow-battered smith was very much alive and even happy.  That is one tough motherfucker:
. Lets hope he survives the inevitable infections.

The rest of the fall goes uneventfully.  I expand the magma trap modifying it according to what I observed of the goblin dynamics.

That evening as I entered the training room I felt a hush.  Momus stopped me.  "Goat, there is something you should know, but you ain't gonna like it'

"Another ambush, gods be true!"  I rushed for my sword. 
"No, it's nothing like that" Momus sighed. " It your artifact.  It be gone."

I laughed, "that cannot be, me comrade, not a force in the world can destory an artifact of the dwarves people: why I meself am known as the creator of Sidstigaz"

"No such thing exists anymore" sighed Momuz with infinite sadness and confusion

I felt no sadness, none of the anguish of dwarf who loses a masterpiece. I was fine. So. So the gods took it. 
Another sacrifice to Armok.
I meself worship Tuman, god of travelers and hospitality, and Idor, the male god of pregnancy and rain (and we Idorians ain't all some kind of perverts, tis' simply not true), so I do not care for such bloodthirsty gods as Armok, but perhaps the magma trap's fine functioning is benefit of the god's favor, and I shall see my beloved weaponrack in the afterlife. 

The fall continued uneventfully, the ghost still lingered by the levers.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 06:14:34 am by thegoatgod_pan »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2011, 06:12:51 am »

jpg? It was developed by Joint Photographic Experts Group, "The JPEG compression algorithm is at its best on photographs and paintings of realistic scenes with smooth variations of tone and color." Please, use png.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2011, 07:30:05 am »

early in the winter a dwarf named call withdrew from society and claimed a shop for himself.

Merchants came, I traded them the thing dwarves desire most, even unto their death: fine, fine socks:
. Sure they maybe originally troll fur socks, taken from a dead goblin, mostlike, but our art makes them glorious indeed.

I also gave a bunch of glass vials to the king as a gift. Maybe the old codger will have more of use for them than I did.

Kol began a mysterious construction using three microline boulders, two gold bars, an iron bar and three whole logs.  I imagine he is making an earning.

Wrong, a bracelet, moreover a bracelet worth 91,200 with another picture of something called a freak of twilight named Anan, and the elf that killed it.  In my day we put dwarves who made art like that into a drowning chamber. At least the name is worthy of dwarves "The Prim Ruin", and the dwarf who made it learned a thing or two.

To finish off the year, and leave in good stride with me fellow dwarves (still a tad angry over the many that died in the summer) I set about to design a circular dining room with a nice hematite vein running through it for masterwork engravings.  I will furnish it with nothing but gold, lovely, overly abundance gold. Manager--give me 20 thrones and 20 tables, all gold.  The archers also get a prize: a nice fortification bound walkway overlooking the valley into which we habitually spill our magma. I ordered them to patrol it, future overseers should probably give them a month off every now and then to encourage training.  I am refilling our bolt stores.

Realizing our current mayor's strong interest in ballistae I order the construction of a siege workshop.  On that note, perhaps it is best to order some food stores in prison--we rarely have any idlers about to feed the oppressed working class.

The dining room nears completion: here are examples of the lovely decorations gracing its floors:
and of course the beloved Fabulous Apes:

I was introduced to a miner named MetalChicken.  Realizing his considerable skill at swords I offered him the chance to join the militia.  He agreed provided he be allowed to use his trusty pick.  Seeing as his powers with a pick are legendary I agreed to shift the uniform for him.

In the very few last days of the year, the marksdwarf patrol took down a few buzzards on and around the walkway.

Their approach to archery is...unorthodox, but undeniably effective--shoot and devour while its still thrashing

Spring approaches, soon I will make preparations to depart.  My place is serving on the frontlines, where death might take me at any minute.  Let another rule in my stead.  If they follow my chart and Notes they will know which lever to pull and which to pull often.
I only ask that they finish the unfinished dining room in gold.
------------------------------------------
save
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5216
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 08:29:31 am by thegoatgod_pan »

Vahir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2011, 10:28:51 am »

"Arriving at Beguiledbreakfast, I once again cursed whichever idiot named it as such. Most people, before heading out to such a venture, would research it's past carefully. "Screw that", I said. I just walked right here and look what it got me."

"A FREAKING FLOOR FLOODED WITH LAVA! Which psycopathic maniac was in charge of this place!?"

And that's not all, oh no... All the bedrooms are exactly 3x1, and the dwarves who have those are the lucky ones, since many dwarves are sleeping on the floor. Time to look for a way to clear out the lava before the entire population melts."

"Still no luck with the lava. Nobody seems to care about the danger hazard, or the fact that the only entrance to this godforsaken hole is blocked. I've put in an order for as many coffins as I can. Armok knows we'll need them. Meanwhile, my search for some sort of lever continues."

"Found one! Pull it!"

"Okay, that was anti-climactic. Nothing really happened. You know what? Screw it. The magma and whatever that lever did is the next guy's problem. I'm ordering the construction of as many DECENT bedrooms as my manpower allows."

"Starting construction on a panic shelter, conviniently located OUTSIDE the magma-filled fortress. I figure that a second fortress is not a bad thing. But I don't see any sudden disaster-"

"Oh shit! Oh shit! All troops, engage! Lock the damn doors! PANIC!"

"It started randomly running up the hill, ignoring everyone, until Deler Rig, the militia commander, stood in its path. It just shoved him out of the way. He's sitting on the ground right now, obviously stunned."

"Holy Armok. While everyone was panicking, a Legendary Mason by the name of 'Goat' Fikodiseth walked up to the titan and starting beating it within every inch of its unnatural life. A marksman bled to death. I'm really glad I made all those coffins."

Part 2 coming up!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2011, 03:03:48 pm »

Ah there actually is a way to drain the hallways-My lava trap does it slowlyh and surely. exploiting the flood as a ready-made magma chamber.
The refill lever (top lever in room with three levers), opens a floodgate which will drain magma from the flooded lever above, only to drop from above into the actual trap, meaning that the magma will move pretty fast--much faster than usual. My magma trap will slowly but certainly drain all the magma from the original settlement dispensing it onto the greater world.

The same room's bottom lever floods the chambers underneath, killing everything in the magma hallways of doom.  The lever in the middle cleans the magma hallways of doom, letting the magma drain off the map. 

See the following quote:

Basically the defenses work as follows: you see a goblin, you forbid the hatch by the control depot.  All living things now have to go the long way below, through our magma hallway and then through the little valley the trap you tried to activate fills up. BTW the trap worked, all you did was open a floodgate to the right of the original magmatrap hallway, you need to open both for the valley to flood.  Its like a chamber/trigger.  You pulled the trigger but not the chamber--the lever on the left is the one directly connected to magma (the chamber), the right one unleaches it to the world (the trigger). Pulling the left but not the right will seal off the fort with magma.

If that happens and you want to get rif of the magma: the six hatches in your pic, right by the levers, are activate by the lonely lever a few floors down.  I put notes through the (N) menu labeling the crucial levers I added/discovered to be useful for the magma device.

If you want the military to handle it still forbid the hatch by the control depot and unforbid the hatch by the meadow (sw corner of map, near the above-ground well. That area is free of cliffs and magma pools for a fight that lets our warriors do what they do best without worrying about sudden death from a bad dodge.

I like how the titan showed up along the royal road--maybe it inteded to be our king with its royal bearing
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:40:19 pm by thegoatgod_pan »

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2011, 03:26:27 pm »

You know, most dwarves are perfectly happy with 3x1 bedrooms. And the nobles even doubly so, when they get massive 40x40 dining rooms. I've experimented with larger room sizes in my forts, but I also smooth all my rooms, so my Mayor often got jealous and killed him/her self.

Unless you're going to build them rooms in the sand. That is a dishonor no dwarf should have to bear.

Vahir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2011, 07:26:02 pm »

"Well, the Titan got tired of having his legs broken by our local superdwarf, and ran away. I think. We haven't seen him again, anyway. We're getting low on meat- I've ordered the execution of every animal not owned by a dwarf. Ordered the construction of a new mining shaft, we need more metals coming in."

"Where the hell are all the Craftsdwarfs' Workshops!? Screw that, I'm making more. Also, wanting miself to be immortalized as the selfish tyrant I am for all of eternity, I have ordered the construction of a mighty monument to my glory."

"The V symbol is a grand representation of miself, and the order and stability that I have brought to this fort. A couple statues, platinum plated furniture, and my own solid-gold casket, and It will look awesome. I ordered the minting of some gold coins to make sure that my leadership doesn't go COMPLETELY unrewarded."

"Damn, Elves. I'm seriously resisting the urge to order them all executed. To hell with the horrible death later, I'm siezing EVERYTHING. In other news, the Gem setter went insane, muttering nonsense. Let's see what he does."

"OH GOD! MY MONUMENT!"

"Some IDIOT forgot to dig a path one down for the lava, and RUINED my monument! Needless to say I heavily scolded the surviving engravers and miners. Damn them! Gah! The lava level is rising fast, I'm ordering my masons to block off the monument."

"Alright, after much effort, we managed to contain the lava, though it cost us our access to what I assume is a well.

Thankfully, the monument actually still looks awesome. Just try to tell me something as epic as THIS-"

"-Is a waste of dwarven lives with a straight face. Now that's a monument that will last the ages."

"Human caravan came. Sold some gems, gained some seeds and weapons. Not much happening."

"Fall is uneventfull. One of the dwarves went into a fey mood, and built *Drumroll*... A Microline Mechanism!"

"The third immigration wave of the year. What the hell is going on back at the mountainhomes?"

"Some dwarven traders passed by along with the liason. Someone must have ordered wood, because that's pretty much all the merchant had. Shrugging, I traded a massive pile of wood for some rock crafts. Also got more Plump Hemlets."

"Winter, this is bor- Wait, what?"

"That can't be good."

"Alright, spring again, and my mandate has ended. It's time for the next guy to take over. Just as I was getting ready to leave, some guy ran up to me and said

YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DRACONIC AGE

or something like that. I have no idea what he meant, but it gives me a sense of forbodding. May Armok have mercy on whoever replaces me."

And I am done. The next person is going have to deal with lava, and the wrath of some pissed off elves. I've also never seen a new age in one of my fortress games, so that's interesting.

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5217

=

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2011, 11:38:46 pm »

I did hook up the front doors to a lever surrounded by engravings

THis one
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6