Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Beguiledbreakfast begins here!(Succession game)(Please read Rules)  (Read 7456 times)

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
Re: Beguiledbreakfast begins here!(Succession game)(Please read Rules)
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 03:32:06 pm »

Well I sent the save to Urist Mcthunderguts but I don't know if he got it since he hasn't been on for a couple days. So i'll put the a download here.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5203

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 03:35:56 pm »

Ok since I'm listed next upfront, I'll start right away!
---Amazing fort
Everything is covered in magma, there are a number of unlabeled levers and many strange devices
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not sure if it is just that I cannot figure out the defenses or if they are just absent (or rather dependent on goblins pathing through magma rather than around it :) This is going to be great!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:59:43 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

UristMcThunderguts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 05:49:07 pm »

Oh, problem solved! Ignore my PM about re-emailing it then. THis works! Go Pan go!

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 06:25:48 pm »

Ah that. That's the lever for Armoks sacrifices. It's where the fromer mayor Stood shortly before giving himself to armok.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 07:23:01 pm »

Ah that. That's the lever for Armoks sacrifices. It's where the fromer mayor Stood shortly before giving himself to armok.

Ah, I expect there is an equally reasonable explanation for half the fort going on a looting operation with the magma gate open to flood them on the first day of spring :).  Good thing burrows in this fort are efficiently set up.

My basic plan, before I have the time to sit down to a proper in character write up likely to show up after midnight tonight:

I like the general devil-may-care attitude we have going with a military and magma, but I will still try to limit points of entry to a controllable few, so we aren't always losing our named dwarf to random ambush by the well.  The military I will equip with steel, agenda here being to get a couple of forges and train everyone up in weapon and armorcrafting just a bit--we've got metal to play around with.  Then a few years down the line they'll reward us by going moody into legendaries.

Maybe I'll look in the caverns for water or streamline the magma delivery into small, self-cleansing chamber. Let's see what happens.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 10:54:46 pm »

I think our defences consist of  5 or 6 soldiers and a willingness to flood the entire map with lava at a moments notice... Regardless of what happens we should be able to fend off the first siege we come across by unleashing the magma. I Hope.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 12:12:57 am »

Hmm... Just curious, but is that dwarf I named still around? Seeing as she (I think it was female) was a military dwarf, I suspect she died :D

As well, burrows and adequate defense structures are for chumps. No trap forts all the way :D

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2011, 05:41:10 am »

Oof too late to do a full write up now. I got through half the year rather than just spring, so writing will take more than I can do sanely. Briefly told--magma device almost online, massive ambushes, many dead but all not crucial.  I think your named dwarf might be alive.  More tomorrow. This fort has too much epic.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 01:32:48 am »

ooc--restricted is very much alive and kicking, he was somehow neglected by the militia menu despite having considerable skills and thus did not participate in the shitshow which my named guy also survived so far (paused end of summer).  It works pretty well with my plot, which is as close to a retelling of the actual events as I could get.

----
Spring.
It is with a heavy heart that I inscribe this, for my love for Beguiledbreakfast is deep, but the time for revolt is at hand.

Our fort is a beauty and a terror to behold--the cold nights are nothing to us, our rooms steam with the heat of magma, armoks very blood running through them--but what treasures are lost to the fire? The moaning ghosts of our kin know only. Perhaps one day this fort shall grow strong enough to attract the mighty bronze collosus, how I long to see one again, they are a special love of mine
  I only saw one once, as a child, when he threw the the mayor against a tree. Boy did he go everywhere....

I am not one to challenge tradition , nor cause trouble and although a legendary mason and the creator of the Misty Rasps, a weapon rack of sublime artistry, I willingly serve in the militia as a swordsman, I cannot allow the mayor that rules over us to rule us one day longer. The immodest bastard took my creation for his own!  He wallows in luxury while dwarves must live in fear in order to get water for their fellow dwarves.  We have weapons but no armor and...

...gods let me speak true: the mad fool let loose a flow of magma upon half the fort on the first day of spring!

I will seize the fort and rule it in this stead.  I will try to control our surface safety and put our engineers to making a magma device worthy of dwarves!

Before I do anything, I have to find out the source of this racket.
Checking our nest pens I am greeted by a disgusting sight--dozens of newborn peacocks clawing and gashing at each other. Blood and dead peafowl everywhere.  Disgusting.  Peacocks are hideous creatures except for looks, and having 14 siblings clawing at you does nothing for your looks.

I briefly considered putting some of our children in there with them (you know, to build character) but decided it would be impractical with our current booze situation, perhaps in a year or two.

Instead I gave the order to have them slaughtered.  Which is when tragedy first struct my rule.  A peacock struck deadly and true. As my chars show, the unfortunate dodged right into our interior well:

Damn you peafoul!

Work continued uneventfully.  Elves came and I looked for our trader.  Sleeping, eh?  Quickly I gave orders letting anyone "trade". And we "traded" ourselves much drink, cloth and a mandril, grizzly, wolf and jaguar. When the broker woke up, the elves were down the mountain already.

Summer
----
I completed the palisade.
Here are the entrance maps--two
are open by hatches from above, a small safety but an improvement over the doors that kept us safe prior, while the last goes by a long, round-about way through our magma dispensors--the one I inherited and the one I yet build.

I reorganized our main squad assigning better equipment orders and ordering the makings of some equipment.  I grabbed a few newbies and threw them to training with myself and the other veterans.

All summer long the grinding of stone below was music to my years.  Perhaps the gods were sending us a sign, for even as I demanded magma safe floodgates, a mason withdrew into himself, quickly gathered materials and produced this:

A second artifact came on the fateful day of the human caravan. Another masterpiece for our fort, albeit more frivolous: a rock crystal harp called The Mysterious Sinew.

The caravan, how to describe.  Even as I engrave these words the screams are still in the air.  Just a pause from battle.  Perhaps I will finish and tell, perhaps I will have to wait until tomorrow.  Perhaps it is my ghost that will finish it.

I leave you with this:

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2011, 06:41:15 am »

Lemme guess... Goblins. Also I didn't release that much magma. I saw restricteds skills but I figured If he wanted to be in a death squad he would have elected himself as miltia captain on his turn.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 01:13:08 pm »

hehe, the magma flood was actually pretty inspired in the beginning since it A. hurt no one, B. showed me the lovely valley the mountain has for magma collection--basically your trap is now a flood-the-world device whose initial flow severs one of the routes into our base, in the process isolating an area intended for marksdwarves.

I kept the multiple entrances so we could magma the hell out of goblins in the north entrance, then open the hatch in the west, plan our militia in a nice, magma-less, cliff-less field condusive to screenshots and wait for the goblins to trickle in from across the magma blaster mountain.

And it was goblins, 6-7 ambushes triggered in seconds.  I made them pay but it cost us.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:18:55 pm by thegoatgod_pan »

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2011, 11:30:52 pm »

Lemme guess... Goblins. Also I didn't release that much magma. I saw restricteds skills but I figured If he wanted to be in a death squad he would have elected himself as miltia captain on his turn.

I chose that dwarf because of its military skills, and wanted it to be a fighter. Hence the job title "Winning"

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2011, 03:58:53 am »

He joined the fight by the end, no worries. I'll update tomorrow

I also managed something I did not think possible. I destroyed an artifact with magma. I have screens to prove it.  I am at a loss.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:10:17 am by thegoatgod_pan »

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2011, 05:54:12 am »

... Did you obsideonize it? Also How did the creator take It? Instant tantrum?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6