Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Beguiledbreakfast begins here!(Succession game)(Please read Rules)  (Read 7451 times)

UristMcThunderguts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I, UristMcThunderguts, have been sent here by his majesty, The Delectable Choon Thunderguts, to build a Lavatower in order to welcome the ambassador of the Lavalord from... I can't really quite remember where... to here... wherever here is. I seem to have misplaced my map somewhere on the wagon. Oh well, still got me pickaxe. Point being, there's lava here. And we're dwarves. We know our rocks and our engineering. How hard could it be to build up instead of down and the cover the whole thing in lava? Luckily I'm only going to be here every year or so to check up on things, because I don't think I've got the fire left in me for such an ambitious project. >_>

Welcome fellow Dwarven Overseers, to Beguiledbreakfast! And no, you don't have to help Metalchicken and I build a lavatower in order to play. You can build, do, or dig whatever you like, as long as you don't intentional ruin what's already here. Before you get all excited and ask about joining, take a moment to read our rules and any progress reports that may have been posted about the fortress.

Rules:

1. Fortress changes hands at the beginning of every spring, email UristMcThunderguts a copy of the region folder and he'll pass it on to the next Overseer in the lineup. Please finish your turn within 7 days from the time you get the latest save passed to you, pass the save on, and make your update post. Otherwise, you may be skipped.
2. Don't dig up the thing beneath the youknowwhat unless you think you can handle what lies beneath.(If you don't know what, just keep on digging. :D)
3. Try and give us some creative writing when you post your progress at the end of your turn. A paragraph or two at least and a screenshot of something cool, if you see anything.
4. We play until the fortress crumbles to it's end. Please don't intentionally break things just because you think the fort is doomed. It probably isn't. Probably.(It's okay if you pull a lever without knowing and it spews lava over everything. Just don't do it intentionally unless you're killing a siege or something. :D)
5. If the fortress is low on something, say food... Or all the miners died somehow... It be nice if you mentioned that sort of stuff at the bottom of your post, so the next player knows right away that something should be done.
6. If you want to join, or have any questions, send a private message to UristMcThunderguts.
7. If you're unsure on something specific: "Don't be a dick."
8. Important! Be careful of levers and things that appear to be holding or directing the flow of Lava. Metalchicken has been taken by a strange mood and will be working on a masterpiece during each of his turns. :D
9. There shall be no raw editing.

10."All rules are subject to change at the will of UristMcThunderguts at any time, and any resulting lavadeath is the responsibility of the dead party and not of the Lavalord or his underlings." (What's the worst that could happen?)

Player list:

UristMcThunderguts(played one turn)

MetalChicken(Being skipped until further notice, technical difficulties T_T)

Restricted(Played one turn)

Drakon136(skipped, ran out of time T_T)

Monkeyfacedprickleback(played one turn)

thegoatgod_pan(now playing! )

Vahir
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 09:38:43 pm by UristMcThunderguts »

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beguiledbreakfast begins here!(Succession game)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 12:52:07 am »

This seems intriguing. I'll sign up.
Never played a for with an aquifer before, but there's a first time for everything.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Ass Fiends]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 01:01:02 am »

I'm good at not flooding with lava! Can I try?

My first succession game if I get in, might I add. Hehehehe. I DF Nooby.

I feel I should add I am so nooby I have no idea how to put saves into my DF or how to take them out. :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:48:20 am by restricted »

UristMcThunderguts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 02:01:58 am »

The area we've stopped in is a bit hilly, plenty of mountain, and plenty of trees. I set up the groundwork for the Lavalord's home near the volcano, which is just a five minute walk away from our doorstep. By Autumn we had carved a home for ourselves. Dining hall and foodstuffs in the northwest corner, workshops, trade and administration in the northeast, along with the stairs down into our wonderfully productive farm. Hope you like plump helmets. Stocks and Inventory occupies the southeast corner. After all this was done, I, UristMcThunderguts, commissioned a statue garden so that the Lavalord might have a place to contemplate during breaks in what is sure to be a busy schedule. Though some of the statues remind me of coffins and the air smells a bit musty and poor in there.

As all this was going on, I put a few of our artistically inclined dwarves to the task of producing something worthwhile for the caravan that was supposed to come through in autumn. All was running quite smoothly, thus we started a few defensive projects. The first was to make most of the entryway a bit of a rockfall. Pressure plates every three feet linked to boulders in the ceiling. Squish. No kobolds have wandered through yet. More importantly, I set to work personally on building a lava spewer and commissioned a private area of my own so I could work without sharing any tools. By this time it was winter, and a few other dwarves had wandered into the fortress including a strange weaponsmith by the name of Metalchicken. He suggested that we go right ahead with the lava spewing plan, just in case we needed it. No telling what might crawl out of our mineshaft eh?

Our miner wasn't quick enough opening up a hole in the volcano apparently(And no, he hasn't been heard from to this day), because the lava leaked through the stairway he went up, thus bypassing the floodgates, so we locked the doors to the hallways, and walled off the farm to prevent it from getting flooded. Half of my workshops were lost to the fires, along with the barracks, so I've been told. I was trapped in my rooms for quite a long time. Very warm, what with the lava on the other side of the door. That was, until Metalchicken tunneled in through the wall of my room.

He explained that the hallways were indeed flooded, but in a fit of inspiration, he'd managed to construct a series of small passages above the hallways, thus connecting the four corners of Beguiledbreakfast, while keeping the lava in place as a defensive measure! Brilliant! Meanwhile, judging by the moisture in the stone, spring has arrived. I haven't left my rooms in months now. No point. Too busy, filing paperwork this way and that way, and crafting a few complex insturments here and there. Dwarves come in and take the parts away to parts unknown... parts. I assume someone is running the place... But I'm busy. And important. No reason for me to trouble myself when I've got engines to construct and papers to stamp...

*end roleplay*

Technically notes:

I really messed this up. Apparently my understanding of lava physics wasn't quite accurate and it flew through the staircase. Good news is the fortress is still up and wonderfully functional. And we have tons of lavamoat. However, the dining hall is now directly connected to the outside by a 1x entryway. There's some traps infront of it, but it's still a really bad thing. A squad of goblins would run right over it, methinks. It clocked to spring and  I was fresh out of doors before I could do much about it. A lot of dwarves are depressed and I think I lost some of my main workers to lava. I'd suggest shoring up the main gate with a door, maybe a drawbridge if you're feeling fancy. And perhaps make a barracks someplace. Right now UristMcThunderguts is the only one with a bed. Should be enough food to last for awhile. Don't forget to look at stocks with 'z' occasionally to make sure we still have alcohol. Should be plenty of plump helmets for brewing in an emergency. The craft industry is still set up, but one of the workshops is surrounded by lava. So if you want to trade with the caravan in autumn, maybe more crafts, unless you can get another industry up and running eh?

EDIT : Also, forgot to mention, as you can see the meeting hall only has one table and no chairs. I was busy. Good thing we have a statue/coffin garden. >_>''

Picture, status at the end of the year, main floor:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:59:56 am by UristMcThunderguts »

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 02:05:37 am »

Any casualties/severe injuries?

UristMcThunderguts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beguiledbreakfast begins here!(Succession game)(Please read Rules)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 02:13:28 am »

Yeah. Three dwarves. One who mined the lava and two who got hurt when the woodchopper went insane. >_>

metalchicken

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 02:15:54 am »

Aside from the Dwarf who heroically sacrificed himself for the greater good of the Lavalord, no one important was lost! :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 02:18:59 am by metalchicken »

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 02:17:36 am »

Haha. Have fun with that. You should definitely use the lava as a way to surprise unsuspecting siegers/ambushers/GOD DAMNED BRONZE COLOSSI somehow.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 02:23:44 am by restricted »

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:54:43 am »

This seems like it'll be fun. Glad I won't have to breach the aquifer to get stone.

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 08:56:32 pm »

Hmm. What's the rules on raw editing? When I get the save I may edit most [PET_EXOTICS] to just [PET].

UristMcThunderguts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 11:53:39 pm »

Hmm. What's the rules on raw editing? When I get the save I may edit most [PET_EXOTICS] to just [PET].

There will be no raw editing. What does changing the tag from PET_EXOTIC to PET do anyway?

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 11:57:22 pm »

There will be no raw editing. What does changing the tag from PET_EXOTIC to PET do anyway?

It makes up for the lack of a dungeon master by letting you tame  special pets, such as dragons. And many of the pets you would normally only get in trade with elves.

UristMcThunderguts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 01:43:11 am »

Okay guys, email has been sent out with the fortress file, check your junk folders. Good luck with your turn Restricted!

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 01:45:27 am »

Okay guys, email has been sent out with the fortress file, check your junk folders. Good luck with your turn Restricted!

Thanks. I'll do my best.

PS Me gusta ballista mucho.

Lore for getting the file:

What an exciting day! An emissary of the kind today came and told me I was to be given my own fort! This is splendid news! The fort is already established, and is named Beguiledbreakfast. Supposedly they have been having issues with magma in the hallways, but news is that it has been resolved, to a degree. After almost losing my face to that fire snake, I'm not afraid of a little lava in the hallways. I'm to depart today!

Oh my. This fort has had more issues than just lava. Skeletons strewn amongst the halls, a few citizens dead, I was expecting a minor lava leak, not all the central hallways being flooded. A ramshackle system has been setup to deal with this, but eventually the lava will need to be drained. However, I noticed that my predecessor channeled his way for the lava tunnel, leaving me with quite the issue of blocking it off... I think I may have to utilize a cavein.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:01:14 am by restricted »

restricted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 02:10:22 am »

... Oh my.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've got some... Saving to do. And I might not be successful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6