Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Preserving nature  (Read 2564 times)

Zigzom24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Preserving nature
« on: October 30, 2011, 08:56:56 pm »

Much like central park, in the center of my giant above ground fortress there is one tree! That makes the tree to stone ratio of my fortress somewhere around 1 to 50,000! Yay nature! Do you guys do any sort of nature preservation in your fortresses? Maybe a statue garden in a garden? (Yo dawg I heard you like gardens) Or a large slaughter hole spike pit covered in blood animal pen in the middle of your dining room? How do you connect to your inner cat intestine elf self? If it reassures you of my dwarflihood, I periodically set the tree on fire for lighting, smoke-y flavor, and to spite those hippies.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preserving nature
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 09:03:13 pm »

Preservation? Is that the thing where I cut things down and throw them into magma?

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 09:14:14 pm »

I tend to seal myself off, so the outside world is usually unmolested.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 09:14:37 pm »

I have an underground nature reserve being constructed to house all of my exotic beasties, and I'm also planning to flood it and grow cave fungus and trees everywhere, might even use it as a training ground for dwarves, where they'll have to forage, hunt and fight for survival.

So yeah, if caging all of the animals I can find in my biomes then placing them underground in the dark counts, then I'm a conservationist :D

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 10:56:14 pm »

My policy:
In DF, i usually follow a policy of "only murder things that impede progress/piss me off".

Because of this, unnecessary land raping is usually kept to a minimum.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 11:35:59 pm »

I used to have a policy of clear-cutting + paving to "clean the green". I guess not doing that counts as preservation.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 01:07:59 am »

I periodically designate the map to be de-forested, so I often have a surplus of wood. I also dam the rivers whenever I have them. What kind of dwarf would I be if I let that filthy elf-worshipped blue liquid any near my precious fiery magma without needing to obsidianize the aforementioned elves?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 01:28:30 am »

I actually make an outdoor statue garden rather often, and usually around a huge pit. Usually based on the fact that my idiot dwarves need an excuse to go outside and start tantrum spirals because they got caught in the rain not develop cave adaptation, which would result in tantrum spirals when later forced to go outside.
I actually tend to dig down and collect a sum of stone as I simultaneously plan out my exterior walls (which will be made of said stone and usually enclose a large area.) and cut down as many trees outside that area as possible, dragging the logs inside before hostiles start showing up. That way I have a ton of wood to use, a defense setup, and an internal emergency supply of wood. I personally like forest settings myself, and at least some of the dwarves must enjoy it, but I'm no hippie either, and tend to lop down everything I don't specifically want. Ends up looking like a damn jungle outside the walls again by year three anyway. Animal pastures usually end up in the soil layers, just so I don't have to deal with building more walls to protect the livestock.

Usually after the initial logging I have enough wood to keep going for years, and then it's on to the caverns for the mushrooms. The caverns are usually so congested with shrooms by the second year that logging becomes a necessity just so they can be used for ANYTHING, and once all the cavern ground near the fort is clear-cut I don't really need anything besides some moderate tree farms or whatever survives being trampled by the animals.

The exception would be locales with little to no surface wood; then I'd end up walling off sections of the caverns as dedicated tree farms. They just grow so freaking fast in the caverns... Gotta be something in the soil. Ancient FB extracts? Probably just the lack of traffic.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:30:25 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 06:30:16 am »

You can never have enough deforestation.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 09:09:05 am »

We have to do it. Who else is supposed to make the elves cry? Humans?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Bazzak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 10:44:29 am »

You can never have enough deforestation.

I second that.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 10:58:15 am »

Most of my forts end up getting into the caverns, and there I tend to put up a lot of cage traps and a few f.b. removers.  Later these forts invest in nice holding areas--big imitation caverns for large beasts with clear glass walls. Windows for non-building destroyers.  Little pools in the holding cells. Mushroom men in semi-family groups behind green glass.  They tend to cause trouble during a reclaim being uncaged, but its all for the best.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 03:44:03 pm »

I like to play on glaciers and deserts where there isn't much nature to preserve in the first place.  Doing so has taught me how to minimalistically approach wood consumption, relying almost entirely on imported logs.  I breed bears and wolves in lieu of exterminating all other animals, does that count?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 04:00:22 pm »

I tend to seal myself off, so the outside world is usually unmolested.
I like to seal myself off with most of the outside world, effectively.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 04:00:33 pm »

How do you connect to your inner cat intestine elf self?
I grab a shotgun, tear a hole in my chest, and immolate myself. With magma, of course.

THAT'S HOW YOU DEAL WITH SURGICALLY INFILTRATED ELVES.
Pages: [1] 2